|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> can we pull this fifth wheel

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Kentucky_Joe

Fort Thomas, KY USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/13 12:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking at a half ton tolerable fifth wheel - cougar rks 2013 we have a Silverado 1500. We have 2wd. Our truck states we have the 5.3L v8 with the 3.73 axle. We have a crew cab with a short bed. It says 7600 lbs maximum trailer weight. Gcwr states 13,000 lbs. The cougar states 7000 shipping weight. 3000 carrying capacity. 1230 hitch weight. Can someone please help me figure this out. Want to make sure we will be ok pulling this.

Krease

The Lowcountry, SC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/13 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You won't be OK pulling it. I'll be nice, some here won't.

2011 Ram 3500 Longhorn H.O. Megacab DRW
2012 Montana 3750FL

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/13 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The truck weight capacity is probably not suficient to carry your family and a additional 100 pound hitch and 1230 pounds hitch weight. You are looking at one of the lightest fifth wheels, and all of them probably will have a 1,000+ pound pin weight while empty, that should go up by 250 - 400 pounds when ready to go camping. This is because the water tank is normally between the axles and hitch, so it will add about 1/2 or more of the water tank weight to the hitch.

With a 50 gallon tank, this is 400 pounds. If the fresh water tank is 1/2 way between axles and hitch, then about 1/2 the weight will go on the hitch. If the tank is below the bedroom or bathroom, then more like 300 pounds will go on the hitch.

You might want to check the specs on Lance fifth wheels. You might not have a local dealer, but check out the weights online. I think they are fairly light too.

The problem is you probably have a 7500 GVWR and the empty truck is somewhere around 6,000 - 6,500 pounds empty. Add the family, and you don't have enough cargo capacity for everything. You really need to take the truck to a scale, and see what the weight is with a full tank of fuel.

WHile a 7,000 pound fifth wheel might have a 1,500 - 1,800 camping weight on the hitch, a conventional 7,000 pound trailer should only have between 700 and 1,100 pounds on the hitch, so much easier on a 1/2 ton truck.

Some of the Max Tow equipped Ecoboost F-150's can tow a fifth wheel, because they have a 2,300 pound cargo rating.

This is why you need to check the empty truck weight. With that, you will be able to figure out what you can tow. ALso post the GVWR found on the drivers door post.

Good luck!

Fred.

tanman32225

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/13 12:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your pushing the envelope especially once you load down the camper. Does that mean it will not pull it. NO.. Your just going to exceed the load rating of your vehicle depending on how much you load it down. All vehicles have a built in safety factor that exceeds the listed weights.
Your fifth wheel pin weight is going to be somewhere between 1500 and 2000 depending on how its loaded. Your truck is going to squat in the rear a bunch. Maybe to the axles. You may need airbags to keep it off the axles. Your gonna need spring over shocks at minimum.
Your probably going to overheat that 5.3 pulling all that weight. Your transmission will shorten in life.
Basically I would say NO however my brother pulled a larger one than yours for several years with a F150 4x4 and only had problems in the mountains. Other than that it did pull the monster. I hope this helps.

Desert Captain

Tucson

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/13 12:56pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not even close. Check your trucks payload, probably 1400# or less and the pin weight of the trailer will exceed that by several hundred pounds before you load anything. The 1230# hitch weight they are giving you is a joke. More truck or less trailer. Good Luck!

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/13 01:10pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will it pull the 5er, you better believe it will, BUT will the truck handle the weight, NO. The first and biggest problem is going to be the payload to carry the pinweight.

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

3LittleDucks

Canada

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/13 01:18pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am not a towing expert, but have been told that 1/2 tons should not pull 5ers. I could be wrong, and there could be exceptions, but I don't like to push the envelope with towing.

2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 03/23/13 01:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3LittleDucks wrote:

I am not a towing expert, but have been told that 1/2 tons should not pull 5ers. I could be wrong, and there could be exceptions, but I don't like to push the envelope with towing.

The newer ½ tons are very capable of towing 5th wheels and the manufacturers give their blessing by approving the practice. BUT, it must be one that is "properly" equipped from the manufacturer. That is one reason we bought the model we did, it is approved for and capable of, towing a properly sized 5er.

MPI_Mallard

McGregor Ontario,St. Cloud Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/13 02:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I really wonder why they don't have laws set out to stop people from doing this kind of thing,it's an accident waiting to happen,,,on the same roads we all drive on.

07' Dodge 3500 6 speed Cummins Diesel Dually/6.7L Bully-Chipped /
Exhst Brake/07' Cedar Creek 37CDTSD Daydreamer fiver
Mallard @ Frau Blücher

Red Green:
Now lets Bow your heads for the men's prayer.
I am a man, but I can change.
If I have to, I guess...

45Ricochet

North Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/23/13 02:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BTDT and even after installing more spring pak, getting tow mirrors, and tuning the 5.9L engine it still lost the tranny after a couple of years.
Almost the exact same 5er also.

06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
GVWR 12,200 RAWR 9350
06 Grand Junction 34' High profile 15500 GVWR 3200 pin Mor/ryde 5500 Onan genny Dual A/C Wet bolts
27' Hallett 502, 500HP

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> can we pull this fifth wheel
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS