|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Trouble shooting Norcold 1200 with Amish Cooling unit

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looking for some input on how to trouble shoot a warm refrigerator, with a cold freezer.

Background

> We wanted to retain LP capacity, but had concern with the Norcold recall solutions for the 1200. So about two years aro, we ordered the RV Cooling Unit Amish Unit (Thank you David Force), and had it installed on our schedule. (Tossed in some extra rear cooling fans, smoke detector and SS30 extinguisher in the rear of the cabinet.)

> The unit has run well for us, and we found that setting 5 would usually support our usage needs.

> I've had the RV in the shop for a few things getting prepped for a trip. One of these was adding a stubbed out LP line to feed our Heat Buddy. This is spliced into the LP line that feeds the fridge, and stubbed out under two drawers beneath the 1200. Had this work done in January.

> I just started the fridge up as I like to do every few months, along with other normal maintenance and excercising of the various systems in the coach.

Problem

I've had the fridge running for 6 hours, off of LP, on setting 6. As always, the LP took two or three times for the gas to flow, then started up the burner as normal.

The freeze has cooled down well, but if I'm getting any cooling in the fridge, it's not much. Inside temp is 60 degrees. The cooling fins feel cool to the touch, but not cold. I suspect all of the cooling I'm getting in the fridge, is falling in from the freezer area.

Again, I can hear the LP burner burning. The freezer is cooling well, have not checked the temp, but feel right after 6 hours. The freezer being so cool, makes me think it has nothing to do with the now two year old cooling unit(?).

I see normal lights of on the controls.

What trouble shooting tips can some of you share with me. Can any of you think of anything down in the burner area that may have been accidentially impacted by the tech installing the stub out of the LP line for me? (The burner burning, made me think not... But, what the heck do I know!).

Appreciate any and all suggestions. I've set it up to 8, and going to check it in another two hours.

TIA - and Happy Easter to you all,
Smitty

chili's trip

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/13 05:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is possible the tech installing the connection caused a piece of Teflon tape to be entered into the gas line which is restricting the flow to the burner. A lower than spec flame level can cause your symptoms. (on another note the Mr Heater buddy is not designed to work on low pressure LPG.) Good luck!\
Jack H

2005 Fleetwood Bounder 32W 8.1.
2009 Honda Fit Sport

sunkatcher

Fulltimer

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:41pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After 6 hours there should be FROST on the freezer plate not just cool in the freezer. Sounds like the coil is not working. Can you plug in to electric?

masa4u.com

dougrainer

Carrolton, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 05:43pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

1. 6 hours is not enough
2. wait 24 hours then see what happens
3. There is no way the cooling of the freezer can drift down to the bottom area
4. The 1200 series has NO CO system. IF the refer is failing to do a normal cool down cycle, the NO CO would come on and stop refer operation
5. WAIT 24 HOURS!!!! Then worry if it does not cool in the bottom.
6. Setting on a colder temp will NOT make the refer cool faster. Doug

mdprince

Santa Clarita, CA

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 06:42pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like how mine was acting last summer on a trip. Came home to find out that both cooling fans were not working. Had them replaced and it works like new again.

2006 Revolution LE 40E
2004 Jeep Rubicon Toad/Brake Buddy or
20' Toy Trailer/Quads 'n Dirt Bikes

Smitty77

San Diego

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 06:52pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll let it run until at level 8 a bit longer, then check the temp. I'll also get a temp reading in the freezer too. I'll plan on turning it off tonight, and then also run a test in the AM with the electric source.

Restricted LP flow? Suppose it is possible, should have run a check before bringing the coach home!

On the Heat Buddy. We have the both the Big Buddy and the Portable Buddy. So we have different options. Per the Heat Buddy manual, we can go with either filtered HP, or regulated LP feed. I appreciate the caution, and will call and talk with Heat Buddy before testing the unit with the new stubbed out line.

Thanks for the info on the 1200, still a bit puzzled! Perhaps I have not let it run long enough...

Best to all,
Smitty

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 06:55pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not sure 6 hours is long enough. Need to know the actual temp of the freezer section.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
Where am I?
How I tow.

lfeather

Titusville, FL

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 07:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ivylog wrote:

Not sure 6 hours is long enough. Need to know the actual temp of the freezer section.

Agree, and is the coach level?

Larry, Debbie,Tomi and Daisy
USAF Retired
2003 36' Country Coach Allure #30856
2008 Tacoma Towed
SMI Air Force One toad brake

larry cad

ohio

View Profile

Posted: 03/30/13 07:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IF the freezer continues to get colder, and the frig remains warm, and if the fans are working, you probably have a bad cooling unit. Those seem to be typical symptoms. Sorry

Today is my personal best for most consecutive days alive.

Our Travel Blog

chili's trip

Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 03/30/13 08:47pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best test is to check on electric. IF it cools on electric the cooling unit is fine. I have experience with a Norcold with the same symptoms that needed a new burner. The flame was about 50% of normal. Good luck!
Jack H

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes

> Trouble shooting Norcold 1200 with Amish Cooling unit
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS