|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Xantrex inverter/charger

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Sponsored By:
den60

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/13 03:29pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi yall, I have a Xantrex inverter/ charger Model RV2012, 2000watt/100amp charge. It is on my 2005 Newmar Northern Star 40' DP. I have two questions, #1)If I am parked in a CG for 5 or 6 months (like for the winter), does it hurt anything to leave the inverter turned off? I did read a post that it doesn't hurt anything leaving it on but then again I read somewhere that someone left for a while and when he came back, he had dead batteries. Will it hurt anything or drain the batteries if left off? The manual just says it will charge the batteries whether it is turned on or off. Every time I have checked the water levels, they are still full. (#2)The shore power setting is set on the control panel to 30 amp by default. My unit and the shore power I use is 50 amp. The manual says nothing about 50 amp settings. Should I try to see if it will manually set to 50 or leave it at 30? I couldn't find any posts to my questions in any of the forums so here's hoping someone out there can help. Thanks yall.

2005 Newmar Northern Star 40'
350 Cat, Allison Trans
2000 Honda CR-V Toad

CREATO

Beautiful Harvey N.D.

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/13 04:23pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My xantrex has a amp settings for incoming power at 15 or less 30or less and 50 or less and I have not shut it off in 5 1/2 years is pluged in right now in storage dorve 50 miles and checked on it this morning for the first time since Dec 3. everything good. DO you have a freedom controll panel?

I dont rent out space in my brain

den60

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/13 06:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the Xantrex RC7 control panel without the automatic generator start. power button, menu down button, menu up button, and settings button.

Golden_HVAC

Fulltime, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 03/31/13 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

den60 wrote:

Hi yall, I have a Xantrex inverter/ charger Model RV2012, 2000watt/100amp charge. It is on my 2005 Newmar Northern Star 40' DP. I have two questions,

#1)If I am parked in a CG for 5 or 6 months (like for the winter), does it hurt anything to leave the inverter turned off? If you can leave it off, and still have the battery charge, then leave it in the off position.

With my model Trace M1215 inverter/charger, I need to leave mine in on or charger only to run the charger. Yours must be different.

I did read a post that it doesn't hurt anything leaving it on but then again I read somewhere that someone left for a while and when he came back, he had dead batteries. Will it hurt anything or drain the batteries if left off? The manual just says it will charge the batteries whether it is turned on or off. Every time I have checked the water levels, they are still full.

(#2)The shore power setting is set on the control panel to 30 amp by default. If you are visiting friends, and plugged into a 15 amp receptical, changing to 10 or 15 amp service, the charger will only charge very slowly to avoid the input circuit breaker from tripping.

If you are on 30 or 50 amp, it can be set to 30, it will charge at the maximum rate it needso to run at with either setting, so they do not have a 50 amp setting.

My unit and the shore power I use is 50 amp. The manual says nothing about 50 amp settings. Should I try to see if it will manually set to 50 or leave it at 30? I couldn't find any posts to my questions in any of the forums so here's hoping someone out there can help. Thanks yall.

You are welcome.

Fred.

den60

Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 06:23am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks for the good information. I did run through the settings on the control panel and it only goes to 30 amp shore power. I guess I haven't had any problems so everything should be OK. I just wanted to check with you all out there and make sure. Thanks again

gatorcq

Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/02/13 06:53am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are living in your rig while at the campground, you need to leave it on. You might have to separate battery banks. Coach (house) and inverter. The only way to really turn off the RG2012 is to turn off the circuit breaker (AC) power to it. How the unit works, is the inverter batteries are charge first (connected directly). Next a heavy duty relay closes which then allow the house battery to charge.
The Xantrex while charging, provides power to all the DC's item in your rig. Lights, heater, thermostat, stove, refrigerator, fans, and other DC powered circuits.

Once the batteries are fully charge, you should only need to check them 1st a month for water.

Next if you like the sate of charge (SOC) the batteries need to be exercize. The Xantrex requires the batteries to be cycled 20 times (60% of charge) to give an accurate SOC. This requires you to turn off the Xantrex (Circuit breaker). Next the RC7 has different setting, pressing the up button for 5 seconds, places the display in meter mode. You have an internal shunt inside the Xantrex, with this you can see the charging / discharging of the batteries, voltage and total DC current the Xantrex is putting out.

Dale & Susan
DaGirls Rv - Della, Tilly & KoKo(rainbow bridge)
Alfa SeYa 2003, CAT 3126E 330Hp, 08 Jeep Liberty TOAD
Roadmaster and Air Brake System
940Ws MPPT 2800Ws Inv/Chg, 660AmpHour Bank

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Xantrex inverter/charger
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS