RV.Net Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Bad Weather while Traveling...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bad Weather while Traveling...

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
John S.

Valley of Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 02:44pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have been caught in many storms both thunder storms with Hail and tornados and winter storms. I run my RV all year and will usually check the weather first thing in the mornign for where I am going. If it looks like snow or bad weather I have left early in the morning to get in front of it if I am traveling the right way or stayed put an extra day. The last trip to FL I took I hit a pretty bad white out in souther VA. I made it to the welcome center on 95 at the NC line and pulled in till 10 am the next morning. I took off and stopped early again the next day as it was snowing again and freezing rain. I pulled into a campground this time but it was right on the interstate. Other trips I have pulled over early and have wakened to a few inches of snow outside. Just wait for the plows and go.

John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550 Chassis
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (Cavalier King Charles Spaniels) now in our hearts and thoughts

ngreen

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/13 02:54pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

3 years ago we had a tornado pass in front of us on Hwy 65 south of Little Rock. They were calling for severe weather but my DH never stops for the weather. And guess where we have to drive Wednesday when they are calling for severe weather - again! That same dang highway! DH told me to find some valium

Somewhere greener, somewhere warmer,Up in the mountains, down by the ocean,Where don't matter long as we're goin'

jjwms

Nampa, ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 02:58pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have been to Alaska twice on the Alaska Hiway. Both times we just watched the weather and if it was bad we stayed put for a day or two. On the last trip we took the Dempster to Inuvik and had snow one day so we stayed put rather than grub up the truck and fifth wheel. However, the next day looked good so we hit the road. Not too far along we ran into rain and by the time we got to Inuvik our white trailer and truck were both brown. Luckily, we managed to get into the car wash before they closed it due to lack of water(?) and using many "Loonies" got the rig cleaned up.

Fulltime RVer May 1997-June 2007
2013 Winnebago Vista Model 27N

sdianel -acct closed

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/13 03:25pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Before we leave I check www.weather.com for their 10 day forecast and plan our trip accordingly. We avoid most storms that way. We never drive in or through bad weather. Period. There have been 3x when we were camped in a park and bad weather came up. We decided to stay put and evacuated the RV and went to the park shelter, usually the bathroom, shower bldg or office. We have a weather radio with SAME technology and the first thing we do is program it for "all" counties in the area we're staying. Walmart about $30.

othertonka

Stockton, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/07/13 03:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing that I do is keep a good updated map with you and track where you are and which way you are heading. Since most weather alerts are by Counties, know what county or parish you are in at all times and which counties you are heading to, nothing worse than to hear a weather alert for a county and you don't even know where you are or where that county is located. Works for me and it will work for you. Don't drive into a storm, wait it out somewhere preferrebly where you have access to a shelter if you have to evacuate your RV.

Othertonka
2004 Southwind 32VS 8.1 Workhorse chassis
2002 CRV Toad
U. S. Gear Unified brake system
Retired Fire Captain, SFD

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 03:36pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Think positive!!!! All you can do is stop driving and find a sheltered place or a truck stop or a campground to wait it out. You won't be alone out there. [emoticon]

On our trip to Alaska we were caught in a surprise snowfall (about 4") but just pulled over and camped out for the night. Next morning the road was clear and all melted during the day. At this time of year chance are good for no snow or if it does, it'll melt fast.

Another time the highway was closed because of a wild fire along side it...another boondocking opportunity. You just have to have patience and wait it out.

One thing we always do is keep a full tank of fresh water. It doesn't cut down on your mpg and it could help you to spend a few nights boondocking. Also for Alaska, never let your fuel tank get below half. Fill up and run on the top half. Some stations may not be open that you were counting on. Same goes for your propane - keep a watch on it.

Also, mosey on over to the 2013 Alaska Rollcall topic on the Alaska forum. There's a sign-up roster of many who are going this summer and they're making sign's to put in their window. It sounds like it'll be a fun group to wave to as you pass each other. There are also some great lists posted on what to take and what to do along the trip. Wish we were going once again...

Have a great trip!!

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 04:20pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you're talking about while on the Alaska Highways, they have VERY FEW severe storms other than WINTER storms. We saw LOTS of lite rain and drizzle days but that was about it.

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

joe b.

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 05:59pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have an app on my iPhone called iMap Weather Radio and have used it for a couple of years. It uses the phone GPS to keep track of where you are and sounds a tone and makes a verbal announcement about the alert for that area. You can set it for the types of alerts you wish to be notified about. Cost was about $10 for the app.

Especially like it for tornado country.

It is currently snowing in Anchorage. Got a note today from a friend living there about getting 12 inches last night and more expected tonight. But this time of year it melts on the roads quickly. Plus the northern road crews have the equipment and knowledge to do a good job. As mentioned above, just lay over a while if you run into any weather that makes you uncomfortable when driving. I have done this numerous times in the 25+ years I lived in rural Alaska, both driving or bush flying.

joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
http://www.pajbcooper.com web site
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 04/07/13 10:03pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can't do anything about the weather so learn to live with it. We had a severe thunderstorm following us, & gaining, one time while on hwy 2 in MN. The solution?

Turn north & go 15 miles or so. Stop. Watch the storm roar by to the south of us. go back south then follow the storm for the rest of the day.

These days, with so much information available at our fingertips, weather is easier than ever to deal with. When in doubt stay off the roads & sit tight.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Bad Weather while Traveling...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS