RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Travel Trailers: Outdoors RV shell framing?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Outdoors RV shell framing?

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:03am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

brulaz wrote:

I see you have a Fleetwood Wilderness 240RKS.

Guess that was made at the same plant? Same floorplan as the current Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 240RKS? EDIT: Ah, you've posted the floorplan in your sig, and it looks identical.

That's one of our favourite floorplans right now (but that seems to change daily).

I see they started putting in a vaulted ceiling in the Timber Ridges. Some of the 2013 Timber Ridge 240RKS I've seen online have it, and some don't. Looks really nice and definitely opens up the space for us taller folk.

That is largely because they didn't just buy the factory, they bought the entire "system", including floor-plans etc.

2008 F350SD V10 with an 2012 Arctic Fox 29-5E
When someone tells you to buy the same rig they own, listen, they might be right. When they tell you to buy a different rig then they own, really pay attention, they probably know something you don't.

n7bsn

Yes

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:04am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LeBout wrote:

Yes the Timber Ridge 240RKS and my Wilderness 240RKS are virtually identical in terms of the layout. I notice some nice upgrades to the Timber Ridge units and they are definitely heavier by a little over 800 lbs. And yes, my unit would have been built at that same plant.

Quality costs more and weighs more... Or why "Northwood" construction (be it actually Northwood or Outdoors) has such a good rep.

BillyW

North ID

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:15am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn wrote:

Sorry, only Silver-Fox models of Arctic Fox are aluminum framed.

(owned Northwoods for 12 years, toured the factory twice)

The current brochure disagrees with you. All AF trailers appear to have aluminum frames.

Outdoors RV website has a Buyers Guide link that shows wood construction in several places but doesn't specifically say how they're framed. I'm betting they are wood.

* This post was edited 04/22/13 11:37am by BillyW *

'97 F150 4X4
'04 Pioneer 18T6

brulaz

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 11:20am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn wrote:

Sorry, only Silver-Fox models of Arctic Fox are aluminum framed.

(owned Northwoods for 12 years, toured the factory twice)

Ahh, didn't know that. Are you sure they haven't changed?

Their catalogue certainly says that the "Artic Fox" has an Al framed shell under their "Absolute Northwood" byline. On p6 of the downloadable brochure they are talking only about "Artic Fox" and "heavy walled Al frames", there's no mention of the "Silver Fox" at all. If you're right, I'd say they're pushing the limits of legitimate advertising.

Funny thing is that Silver Fox is the heaviest of them all per foot.
The Silver Fox 26X is about 253#/ft (UVW/tot length), the Artic Fox 25R and 25P are 238 and 250#/ft. The Timber Ridge 240RKS is about 226#/ft, and the Creekside 23RKS is 218#/ft.

NEW:2014 Timber Ridge 240RKS,~7500#loaded,~1100# tongue, 10.7mpgUS
OLD:2010 Trailmanor Elkmont24,~4000#loaded,~500# tongue, 12.5mpgUS
2011 F150 4x2 SCab Eco 2050# payload, 11300# tow capacity

canoe on top

Denver, CO, US

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 11:29am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

n7bsn, true, the Silver Fox editions are aluminum frame with wood inserts and, I believe, still have the wood roof trusses. I failed to mention this in a post yesterday re. Arctic Fox/Nash

brulaz

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 11:58am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BillyW wrote:

Outdoors RV website has a Buyers Guide link that shows wood construction in several places but doesn't specifically say how they're framed. I'm betting they are wood.

All I see is wood framing in the pass through storage area and under the bed frame. There's a lot of trailers using wood framing for interior construction but Al in the walls.

But you wood think that they wood mention Al framing if they were using it. (sorry couldn't resist, would=wood)

nOsSnakeEyes

WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 12:06pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would recommend calling a dealer or Outdoors RV. They can give you all the info you need. The Timber Ridge is wood frame construction unless they changed recently. I believe Creekside are too. Outdoors RV does make an aluminum framed trailer. Wind River and Blackstone is aluminum frame with steel trusses. I ended up choosing the Wind River line because of the extras but we really considered the Timber Ridge.

2012 Wind River 230RKS
2003 Silverado 2500 HD Duramax

brulaz

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 12:19pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nOsSnakeEyes wrote:

I would recommend calling a dealer or Outdoors RV. They can give you all the info you need. The Timber Ridge is wood frame construction unless they changed recently. I believe Creekside are too. Outdoors RV does make an aluminum framed trailer. Wind River and Blackstone is aluminum frame with steel trusses. I ended up choosing the Wind River line because of the extras but we really considered the Timber Ridge.

Just downloaded the WindRiver Brochure and yes they specifically mention the Al framing and Steel trusses. My guess is that the steel roof trusses come with the vaulted ceiling.

And apparently the Timber Ridge has just now started having vaulted ceilings (I've seen advertised online versions of the Timber Ridge 2013 23RKS with either ceiling). Not sure if the steel roof trusses go with Al wall framing or not. I will call ...

EDIT: Forget the stuff below, I was mixing up the 23, 230 and 240
But there's no Wind River 23RKS in the 2013 brochure, which is why I never looked at them before.

Did they stop making the Wind River 23RKS in 2012? It sounds like exactly what we're looking for.

* This post was edited 04/22/13 12:36pm by brulaz *

brulaz

Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/22/13 12:35pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK, just called. The Wind River line is all Al framing and steel trusses. The Timber Ridge and below is all wood framing, including the new vaulted ceiling trusses that came out mid year 2013.

And they still make the Wind River 240RKS (but no 230RKS) as well as a Timber Ridge 240RKS. EDIT: but just realized that they are very different, length, layout ...

The guy I talked to said the main reason some people like wood framing is that it's a better insulator than Al.

* This post was edited 04/22/13 12:54pm by brulaz *

nOsSnakeEyes

WA

View Profile

Posted: 04/22/13 01:02pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They changed it to a 24RKSW.

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Outdoors RV shell framing?
Search:   Advanced Search