|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Camplite trailer question

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Steve 911

Marin county

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 06:01pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Does anyone have any experience or knowledge about Camplite aluminum trailers?
They seem well made, however I have only seen pictures and video. I am interested in the 21-RBS model. This model has a stated dry weight of 3,250 lbs, and hopefully I can pull this with my highlander, although I think once loaded it will be overlimit for my tv. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Steve

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 07:15pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've been lusting after Camplites for a long time so will follow this thread with interest!

I'm curious about the weights given- I just looked up the specs on that unit, and as you say, the dry weight is given as 3,250 pounds, but the tongue weight is only 250! That seems disproportionately light to me. I've always understood that for best handling, at least 10% of total trailer weight is recommended at the tongue. I wonder if the way the trailer is configured will allow the achievement of that goal...if water and waste tanks are rearward, the proportion might actually be worse when loaded.

You don't give much info about the tow vehicle but if you're concerned about pushing its tow capacity, I'm betting that once loaded, the trailer will weigh at least 4,000 pounds and need at least 400 pounds of that at the tongue.

" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 09:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recall a thread a year or (at most) two ago, by a Camplite owner who was very happy with his unit. He said the only thing he disliked somewhat was how cold the uninsulated floor got in the dead of winter (yes, he liked winter camping and was from MN I think).

I think a 250 lb. dry tongue weight will be at least a 350 lb tongue by the time you are loaded for camping; that's about what mine increased, so 'too light on the hitch' is not likely to be your problem... but 'too heavy' might be (see below). I do have a fresh tank and hot water heater forward of the axle, which contributes. Handling should be fine. My HL tows both my TT (close to 3000 lbs) and my cargo trailer (3500-3800 lbs) just fine.

But I would be cautious about the length, 24' is too long unless you get a very good sway-control hitch... maybe it's just too long, period. I've towed 16' and 17' trailers, no problem. But the HL wheelbase is quite short and I would not personally be comfortable with a trailer that long. I used to tow a Rockwood 2304s with my Mountaineer (3" longer wheelbase), the Rockwood was just about the same weight (3250 dry, 380 tongue dry) and length (2w3'8") as the unit you're looking at, and without the Equal-i-zer hitch the combo felt very squirrelly indeed.

I also note that the Rockwood was almost identical in floorplan to your proposed TT. With a 30 gallon fresh tank and pass-thru storage below the front bed, my tongue weight when loaded was enough to bend a leaf spring on that Mountaineer. I never weighed it, wish I had done so. I didn't take into account that the weight of the Equal-i-zer should also have been added into the hitch weight... I probably exceeded the 600 lb hitch wt rating of the Mountaineer. The longer the trailer, the longer the distance to the fulcrum (axle) and thus the front loading acts greatly on the tongue. Food for thought.

* This post was edited 04/27/13 09:29pm by rexlion *

Mike G.
2008 Toyota Highlander
sold trailer, shopping for another

yloshrk

Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 09:28pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only complaint I have heard about these is black socks (aluminum oxide). The person I spoke with just put in some carpet runners.

69 Avion

Phoenix, Arizona

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 08:17pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll bet the weight is "dry" and with full LP tanks on the tongue, your tongue weight will be more in proportion to what it should be.

Ford F-350 4x4 Diesel
1988 Avion Triple Axle Trailer
1969 Avion C-11 Camper

WoodGlue

Los Angeles / Montana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 04/27/13 08:22pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They are extremely well made trailers! If they only had a "warmer" interior (Lite-Ply wood and such)

You probably cannot go wrong with one of these trailers!

WoodGlue

Francesca Knowles

Port Hadlock, Washington

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 11:09pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Having taken a look at the 21 RBS specs/floor plan (below) I'm more convinced than ever the trailer will be tongue light. The battery evidently goes inside. The only thing that goes on the tongue is propane tanks, two of which are standard equipment and therefore presumably included in the dry weight numbers. You'll only be adding forty pounds of propane to the tongue weight. link to specs

Perhaps more important:
It looks to me like all the water/waste tanks and most appliances are in the rear of the trailer. (Axles are approximately at the middle "sofabed" cushion) Achieving a decent tongue-to-total ratio could turn out to be very difficult with that setup.

Towing with a short-wheelbase vehicle like the Highlander is already challenging enough without adding low tongue weight into the bargain!

Which reminds me:
What's your Highlander model/year? I ask because most recent ones have a tow limit of 3500 pounds, and it's a safe bet that this trailer will far exceed that when loaded for the road.

Michael in MN

MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/28/13 08:21am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They also have 14' and 16' models with slides. One of those might be a better fit for a short wheelbase SUV.

-----------------------------
LivinLite Camplite 16BHB
2011 Ford F150 EgoBoost

Michael in MN

MN

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 10:49pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rexlion wrote:

I recall a thread a year or (at most) two ago, by a Camplite owner who was very happy with his unit. He said the only thing he disliked somewhat was how cold the uninsulated floor got in the dead of winter (yes, he liked winter camping and was from MN I think).

This thread.

The aluminum floor will pretty much be the same temperature as the outside air. It has ribs facing down, hence has more surface area exposed to the outside than the inside. Carpet helps.

After a year and a half and 5000 miles, I still like it.

Steve 911

Marin county

View Profile

Posted: 04/27/13 10:26pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks everyone for your comments. They are most helpful...
The 2013 models offer full carpeting....

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers

> Camplite trailer question
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS