Open Roads Forum

Print  |  Close

Topic: What can an Avalanche pull?

Posted By: Luminajd on 05/05/13 02:20pm

We decided to buy a camper so I have done some research on what we can safely tow with the manual saying our towing max is 7100 pounds. I get lost on the math but realize 6,000 is too much, correct? We want bunks, a queen and a slide out. We are having a hard time finding this under 6000 pounds so my husband tells me look at all the heavy (6700) pound trailers Craigslist people advertise as 1/2 ton towable. Can someone settle our argument and tell me what length and weight we can safely pull?
(I have googled without a definitive answer)
Thanks!!!
Edited to ask the dumbest question ever. I keep reading about trailer brakes. Do I buy these seperately or are the on most TT? I have read 1,000 TT ads and never see them mentioned as being already on the TT

Posted By: Goldstalker on 05/05/13 03:02pm

Trailers come with brakes, you will need to ad a brake controller to your Avalanche. 6000lbs loaded and ready to go will be just fine, but not 6000lbs empty or "dry". Looks at some "lite" models like these and keep your empty weight under 5000lbs.

http://www.crossroadsrv.com/sunset-trail/super-lite/floorplans/travel-trailers

http://www.cruiserrv.com/fun-finder.php

http://www.cruiserrv.com/shadow-cruiser.php

Specifically this one http://www.cruiserrv.com/shadow-cruiser/s_260bhs/specifications.html

2007 GMC Sierra 1500 Crew Cab Z71 4X4 3.73
2013 CrossRoads Sunset Trail Super Lite 250RB
2-2012 Yamaha VX Deluxe
2012 Toyota Highlander

Posted By: Turbo Diesel Dude on 05/05/13 03:25pm

I trieed 5000 lbs "dry" with ours and believe me, it really sucked. Gas milage was 7mpg and it screamed up any/all grades. JMHO

charles weidman

Posted By: old guy on 05/05/13 03:57pm

something else, the 7100 includes every thing you put in the truck also, people, gas, dogs, chairs, ice chest. etc.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 05/05/13 04:16pm

no one on Craig's list would lie, now would they?
bumpy

Posted By: greende on 05/05/13 04:22pm

When we had our Avalanche, we towed a 26' Gulfstream Streamilte no slides. Don't know the weight but it towed it well. Syracuse to Myrtle beach and Syracuse to Pittsburgh & all over NY state.

2011 Chevy 3500 HD LTZ Duramax/Allison Crew Cab Long Box DRW
B&W Turnover Ball with Companion

2012 Keystone Cougar 293 SAB 5er

Posted By: bikendan on 05/05/13 06:00pm

Luminajd wrote:

We decided to buy a camper so I have done some research on what we can safely tow with the manual saying our towing max is 7100 pounds. I get lost on the math but realize 6,000 is too much, correct? We want bunks, a queen and a slide out. We are having a hard time finding this under 6000 pounds so my husband tells me look at all the heavy (6700) pound trailers Craigslist people advertise as 1/2 ton towable. Can someone settle our argument and tell me what length and weight we can safely pull?
(I have googled without a definitive answer)
Thanks!!!
Edited to ask the dumbest question ever. I keep reading about trailer brakes. Do I buy these seperately or are the on most TT? I have read 1,000 TT ads and never see them mentioned as being already on the TT

i own an '07 Avy with the 5.3, 3.73 rear end and the factory tow package. my tow capacity is 7200lbs. with only a 150lb. driver in it.
i tow a 24' HTT that weighs about 5200lbs. loaded for camping, with an Equal-i-zer WDH and Prodigy brake controller.
i live out West and i wouldn't tow anything more than 5500lbs., since i have numerouse mountain ranges to get over. so a lot depends on where you plan to tow. if you live in Florida or Iowa, you won't have to worry about mountains.
i don't recommend going over 28' for the trailer.

NEVER believe something that is advertised as "1/2 ton towable".
go by real numbers, such as the trailer's sticker weight, which is on a yellow sticker on the outside. on older trailers, it's on a white sticker inside the trailer, ususally on the inside of a cabinet door.

trailers in the size you're looking for, will have electric brakes, therefore you're required to have a brake controller. also, you'll need a good WDH with built-in sway control, like the Equal-i-zer or the Reese Dual-Cam.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

Posted By: ktosv on 05/05/13 08:33pm

Since the Avalanche production spans over like 12 years, how about some specifics of your vehicle?

Do you have a 2001 with the 5.3L and 3.73 axle? Do you have one of the few 3/4 tons with the 8.1L or do you have a newer one with a six speed transmission?

The model year, engine and axle ratio will help get a good answer of what "your" truck actually can handle.

Kevin and my...
Wife and five kids
and two dogs(brittany and english setter)
2011 Express 3500 (6.0L/6A/3.42)
2010 Passport Ultra Lite 2910

Posted By: camp-n-family on 05/05/13 08:40pm

It's not always what you can "tow" but more of what you can "carry". As with most 1/2 tons you will likely be limited by payload. What is the payload rating of the Avy (on door sticker)? How much weight (passengers, gear etc) do you need to carry in the Avy? Subtract that from payload and thats what you have left for trailer tongue and hitch weight. Figure 13-15% of loaded trialer weight for the tongue and that's what you can tow, as long as you're under all the other ratings (tow, axle, tire, receiver etc)

'07 Toyota Tundra Crewmax Limited
'06 Forest River Flagstaff 26BH(sold)
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 31BHPR
Hitched by Hensley, Viewed by McKesh

Posted By: Luminajd on 05/05/13 08:45pm

We have a 2007 1500 LTZ Avalanche
GVWR 7200 lbs
GAWR (front) 3800 lbs
GAWR (rear)4100 lbs
rear axle 3.73 ratio
5.3L
I dont see anything on my sticker marked 'payload', what else would it be called?

Posted By: ependydad on 05/05/13 08:57pm

You're looking for something like:
>> payload = "Cargo Carrying Capacity" or "maximum weight of occupants and cargo"

See if this helps:
What Can I Tow?

2013 Sabre 36QBOK
Truck: 2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion hitch
Nights Camped: 2013: 47, 2012: 52, 2011: 28
Learning to RV, mishaps and adventures - Towing Planner - Calculators + Estimators

Posted By: Luminajd on 05/05/13 09:04pm

I cant for the life of me find anything talking about payload, but my friend google tells me about 1337 pounds is my payload.

Posted By: Bumpyroad on 05/06/13 04:32am

Isn't the OP talking about a TT so the only "payload" would be the tongue weight? as far as towing capacity/weight, that would be wet weight plus "stuff" not necessarily maximum trailer weight rating.
bumpy

Posted By: CHD Dad on 05/06/13 06:18am

How big of a TT are you looking for? Check out the TT in my sig as probably something that would be the max you would want to try. Its a Forest River Surveyor Sport 295 (also called the SP295). 5100# dry, 6100# loaded, a bit over 700# tongue weight loaded. Triple bunks in back, small slide, queen up front, full outside kitchen (which we love).

Surveyor makes smaller bunkhouses as well - Something like the SP260 but its only 300# lighter.

We have 3 boys so needed as big as we could possibly tow safely and comfortably with our Tundra and the SP295 was it when we were shopping locally. I will say we are maxed out in payload when we load up for a long trip and my payload is about what yours is.

2012 FR Surveyor Sport 295
2010 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 5.7L
Tekonsha P3 / "New" Blue Ox Sway Pro

Posted By: camp-n-family on 05/06/13 06:29am

Quote:

Isn't the OP talking about a TT so the only "payload" would be the tongue weight? as far as towing capacity/weight, that would be wet weight plus "stuff" not necessarily maximum trailer weight rating.
bumpy

Yes, but we need to know the payload of the tow vehicle to determine if there is enough left to handle the tongue weight. For example, if the TV payload is 1300lbs and 600lbs of that is used up for passenger weights and some cargo, plus another 75lbs for the WD hitch, then there would only be 625lbs left in the TV payload for the tongue weight. In this example that would mean a loaded TT weight of 4800lbs if using the average 13% for tongue weight (4800 x 13% = 624lbs)

Posted By: APT on 05/06/13 07:46am

You are looking for this sticker, usually on the driver's door or door jam. But it is only required on 2006+ vehicles.

If you do not have one, then you have to weigh it to find out how much payload you have. Payload will need to cover the weigh of people inside the cab (you, family), anything in the truck bed, and about 80% of the trailer tongue weight when using a weight distributing hitch.

RVing families tend to add at least 1000 pounds of stuff to dry weights. Food, cooking and eating supplies, clothes, toys, chairs, tools, etc. It all ads up quickly.

I recommend sticking to about 5000 pounds dry. Nearly any hybrid will be good. Bunks, queen, slideout in a used trailer under 5k is possible, but rare. Are you willing to upgrade the Ave to a 3/4 ton something?

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2012 VW Passat TDI

Posted By: Luminajd on 05/06/13 08:38am

Husband is at work so I can look when he gets home, but I took a picture of the sticker on the driver's side door jam the other day, there is nothing regarding payload.
No chance of upgrading to a 2500, we just got this.
CHD Dad thanks for the brand recommendations, I already have a handful of light trailers in mind but cant find any in my area Now I can keep an eye out for the ones you recommended as well.

Posted By: ependydad on 05/06/13 08:44am

Does the sticker mention the "GVWR" (or Gross Vehicle Weight Rating)? If so and if you're willing to take the truck to a scale - load up like you normally would for a camping trip (stuff and passengers) and then go get the truck weighed. Take the GVWR minus the actual weight and that will tell you payload.

APT showed the sticker that tells you your payload.

Here's the sticker that shows GVWR:

Posted By: rbtglove on 05/06/13 08:50am

Towed many miles with and an 05 AV with a TT just under 5K, over the rockies and back several times. Another 1500lbs would not be fun. Not sure if the 07s have the 6spd tranny that would help. I think you need to look for a lighter trailer. You might go to the AV fan site and get more information on what to tow.

Bob/Beavercreek OH
2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ/Trail Lite 8230

Posted By: Luminajd on 05/06/13 09:50am

rbtglove wrote:

You might go to the AV fan site and get more information on what to tow.

I have been to that site and some of those people are crazy and talk about towing way over 7,000 pounds with a 1500.

Posted By: ependydad on 05/06/13 10:46am

Luminajd wrote:

Husband is at work so I can look when he gets home, but I took a picture of the sticker on the driver's side door jam the other day, there is nothing regarding payload.
CHD Dad thanks for the brand recommendations, I already have a handful of light trailers in mind but cant find any in my area Now I can keep an eye out for the ones you recommended as well.

Can you post the stickers you find?

Posted By: kfcflores on 05/06/13 11:08am

My brother and I bought our tt last year. It is a 2006 keystone outback 27rsds. I have a 2007 chevy tahoe and he has a 2007 chevy avalache. We both have the 5.3 4speed and the tahoe is 3.73 and the avy 4.10. Our trailer is almost 30ft ball to bumper. sticker weight for tt is 5400 dry. All loaded up ready to go it's at 6100. Thats with tanks empty and fresh water about 1/3 full. Unfortunately I made mistake of buying trailer and then figuring out if I had enought tow vehicle. That being said, we installed ps3 brake controller, put a reese dual cam on our ezlift wd hitch and both rigs tow the trailer fine. My biggest concern is pulling power up grades. I live in northern california and havent ventured over to tahoe yet. The major concern I read about was trailer length with the short wb of tahoe and avy. Sway is not too bad. Key is to go slow and stay on the right side. Gas mpg sucks but that's too be expected. The keystone has a perfect layout for us. Bascically 2 families in tt. Has a full queen in front, dinette slide which converts to bed, couch that folds to bed and full queen slide in rear. All hard, no hybrid crap. They also make a model that has bunks in front instead of queen.
Bottom line is only you will know what works for you. I got so frustrated and scared when I was researching my stuff. Yes, I'm sure diesels and 2500 tow much better. But my tahoe is my daily driver and I only camp 6 times a year, max. Get a good hitch, take it slow and enjoy your trailer.
Kevin

Posted By: Luminajd on 05/06/13 11:47am

ependydad wrote:

Luminajd wrote:

Can you post the stickers you find?

I am totally too lazy to find the cord to plug in my phone to the computer, so I will type everything the sticker says

GVWR 7200LB GAWR 3800 LB GAWR 4100LB
Vin # is listed, not sure if it is an issue to post online?
Model K10936
KR67 Tire size/speed/rating
FRT P275/55R20/S
RR P275/55R20/S
SPA P265/70R17
then it talks about rim size and what my cold tire pressure should be. I can check for more sticks later when husband gets home

Posted By: Luminajd on 05/06/13 11:49am

kfcflores wrote:

My brother and I bought our tt last year. It is a 2006 keystone outback 27rsds. I have a 2007 chevy tahoe and he has a 2007 chevy avalache. We both have the 5.3 4speed and the tahoe is 3.73 and the avy 4.10. Our trailer is almost 30ft ball to bumper. sticker weight for tt is 5400 dry. All loaded up ready to go it's at 6100. Thats with tanks empty and fresh water about 1/3 full. Unfortunately I made mistake of buying trailer and then figuring out if I had enought tow vehicle. That being said, we installed ps3 brake controller, put a reese dual cam on our ezlift wd hitch and both rigs tow the trailer fine. My biggest concern is pulling power up grades. I live in northern california and havent ventured over to tahoe yet. The major concern I read about was trailer length with the short wb of tahoe and avy. Sway is not too bad. Key is to go slow and stay on the right side. Gas mpg sucks but that's too be expected. The keystone has a perfect layout for us. Bascically 2 families in tt. Has a full queen in front, dinette slide which converts to bed, couch that folds to bed and full queen slide in rear. All hard, no hybrid crap. They also make a model that has bunks in front instead of queen.
Bottom line is only you will know what works for you. I got so frustrated and scared when I was researching my stuff. Yes, I'm sure diesels and 2500 tow much better. But my tahoe is my daily driver and I only camp 6 times a year, max. Get a good hitch, take it slow and enjoy your trailer.
Kevin

I am frustrated. I find several TTS on craigslist that was within our budget and have the layout we need, and they are right between 5500-6000lb which is where I have read several write event that is too heavy. Sigh. If only my husband would have been open to a truck with more towing capability.

Posted By: BenK on 05/06/13 12:30pm

Not just an Avalanche but any vehicle's "What can an Avalanche pull?" has
this formula:
GCWR >= TV + TT + EVERYTHING loaded onto, into either...including the hitch

That is if you believe in the OEM specifications/limits/ratings...

If not, then do whatever

If yes, then go out and weigh your Avalanche fully loaded, axle by axle.

Then do the simple math using the simple formula above...THAT is your true
weight in answer to "What can an Avalanche pull?"

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...

Posted By: ependydad on 05/06/13 01:46pm

Don't you mean GVWR instead of GCWR?

BenK wrote:

this formula:

Posted By: BenK on 05/06/13 03:33pm

ependydad wrote:

BenK wrote:

this formula:

Nope...GCWR = Gross COMBINED Weight Rating

COMBINED meaning the combined TV + TT + stuff

This image shows how the OEM ratings system works and note that it is
a system where all the components and sub-systems work in concert

Means GCWR is greater than or equal to all that stuff on the right
of the '>='

howmuchcanitow

Posted By: bikendan on 05/06/13 04:11pm

rbtglove wrote:

Towed many miles with and an 05 AV with a TT just under 5K, over the rockies and back several times. Another 1500lbs would not be fun. Not sure if the 07s have the 6spd tranny that would help. I think you need to look for a lighter trailer. You might go to the AV fan site and get more information on what to tow.

the '07 Avy has the same 4 speed trans that your '05 has. the 6 speed came out a couple of years later.

to the OP, you must have the 4x4, since your tow capacity is 100lbs. less than my '07 4x2 Avy.
i have the same engine and rear end ratio.

i'll look in my owner's manual for the payload #.

the problem is that you want a full walk-around queen bed, a slideout AND bunks. that means a long heavier trailer.
a bunkhouse hybrid or a 3-bed hybrid would be well within your Avy's towing ability but that may not be your thing.

Posted By: blt2ski on 05/06/13 11:15pm

THen the problem with Bens generic what a rig can tow, is if the rig is at gvwr before adding a trailer, you have NO trailer tow capacity. As he has not included as part of the equation, the HW% needed! So if one in many cases, wants to pull the max tow rating, one needs a base model, one 150 lb driver, and ALL the remaining payload to handle the HW! In some cases, if one had a pickup and was going to pull a 5W, you can not get to max tow rating or gcwr as the HW part, ie the 20-25% needed will overload the TV if you go with max tow ratings.

So now that I have typed all that.....an Avalanch can pull out a tree or two or three if driven down a hill with enough velocity. Most avalanches travel at about 70-150+ mph, add in going down hill.......stay out of there way! I know of one avalanch that took out 30 log trucks of trees!

Marty

05 Chev CC D/A LS Dooley

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
00 Chev C2500, V5700, 4L80E, 4.10, base truck, no options!
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer
3 Single axle utility trailers

Check RV.Net Blogs at: blog.rv.net

Posted By: Goldstalker on 05/06/13 11:44pm

OP check out the Skyline Koala line. Very lite and made with Azdel.

http://www.riversrv.com/inventory/207993/New-2013-Skyline-Koala-25DS.aspx

Posted By: ependydad on 05/07/13 08:49am

BenK wrote:

ependydad wrote:

BenK wrote:

this formula:

Nope...GCWR = Gross COMBINED Weight Rating

COMBINED meaning the combined TV + TT + stuff

This image shows how the OEM ratings system works and note that it is
a system where all the components and sub-systems work in concert

Means GCWR is greater than or equal to all that stuff on the right
of the '>='

Thanks for the clarification, Ben- makes sense.

I think the Avalanche will max out GVWR long before hitting GCWR.

Print  |  Close