|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Using the RV toilet on the road

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Rough2000

Arkansas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/13 05:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pennysmom09 wrote:

crimmps49 wrote:

You will learn more each time you use it. We always keep water onboard in our tank so we can use the bathroom. Be sure to turn on your water pump and then remember to turn it off once you have flushed enough to slosh around in the black tank. It can be intimidating---don't be afraid to ask questions, that's what this forum is for. Happy camping!

Thanks! Even with all the mistakes with using the toilet, hooking and unhooking, slightly denting the cab with the FW, even with them slider hitch, (no 90'% turns ' forgetting to disconnect the battery when stored, having the FW slip out and land on the jacks, (left them only a few inches off the ground saving our "bacon" whew)', finding water in the bottom of the shower in the morning, forgetting to put chemicals and water in the toilet before use....um, probably more! The first night I shed a few tears....what else can go wrong! Haha...but we learned quickly and have had fun since then, have done a flawless hook up and leveling and felt quite smug! Sorry to put it in storage, but going out again next week!

Don't be afraid to make yourself several check lists i.e. Hitching, Unhitching, last minute items...etc. If you are also going to use your fresh water tank for drinking you will want to learn how to sanitize the tank a few times during the year. As stated above...don't be afraid to ask questions...most campers love to help each other. Also keep reading this site...lots of good info. Continue making memories

If it moves but shouldn't, use Duct Tape. If it doesn't move but should, use WD40.

restlesswind

Fulltime

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/09/13 05:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You will learn all the tricks and more.It won't be long and you will be one of the folks with answers for the new RVers
Welcome to "the road"!

'04 33.5 CKQG Hitchhiker Discover America
04.5 Dodge 3500 CTD SRW
Pac Brake,Max Brake
Fulltimers since '06

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 05:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I did not read all the posts so I may be repeating.

Do you realize you have to different water connections?

One connection is used to fill the tank, the other connection will provide you with water under pressure only while you are connected.

If you connect to the pressurized line you may want to invest in a pressure regulator / reducer. it will prevent you from blowing lines due to over pressure.

if you are flushing solid rather than liquid you may want to line the bowl with TP in an X or star pattern. That way the solid waste will not stick to the plastic bowl, it will slide down the hole along with the T/P using much less water to flush.

* This post was edited 05/09/13 05:57pm by silvercorvette *

2010 Dodge 409 CI diesel long bed dually crew cab B&W hitch, 95 Gallon Auxiliary Transfer Fuel Tank, pulling a 33 foot Holiday Rambler Alumascape suite, Winegard SK-3005 TRAV'LER , Central vac, Splendide 2100 XC washer dryer, Rotochoks, TST Tire monitor.

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 06:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tvman44 wrote:

Either leave your water pump on or do as we do and turn the pump on when we need to use the toilet.

I always turn off the pump ever since I had a semi accident. I got into the camper and discovered the gray tank was overflowing. I did not have the faucet fully turned of and all the water emptied from my fresh tank down the drain into the gray tank. I wound up with an empty fresh tank and about 2 inches of water from the gray tank overflowing on to my shower floor

pointrow

morton il.

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 06:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pointrow wrote:

pennysmom09 wrote:

So you are saying once we disconnect from the water source, water will remain in the tank?

We are very new at this....our first RV ever!

You will probably have to do something else to put water in your tank. Some have a valve to switch to tank fill and others have a separate opening to put your hose in to fill.
It won't take a lot of water to flush so no need to fill the tank. 10 gal will get you by,

good luck
pointrow

Read my post above yours Posted: 05/09/13 07:48pm

pointrow

morton il.

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 06:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

silvercorvette wrote:

pointrow wrote:

pennysmom09 wrote:

So you are saying once we disconnect from the water source, water will remain in the tank?

We are very new at this....our first RV ever!

You will probably have to do something else to put water in your tank. Some have a valve to switch to tank fill and others have a separate opening to put your hose in to fill.
It won't take a lot of water to flush so no need to fill the tank. 10 gal will get you by,

good luck
pointrow

Read my post above yours Posted: 05/09/13 07:48pm

Sorry,

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 06:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I tried to send you a private message but you have all messages blocked unless they are on your buddy list

tanman32225

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Its actually pretty easy to understand. When you hook up your water hose to the camper your bypassing the onboard water storage supply. Its a direct hook up to your water system. If you want water when you travel you must put some water into the fresh water holding tank which is a SEPARATE hook up from your water hose hookup at the campsite. Usually the hose is just held into a hole that has a cap over it to keep dirt and debris out.

When you disconnect from the water hose virtually none will be stored in the camper except in the water lines maybe or the hot water heater.

To use the water from the storage tank somewhere in your unit will be a water pump switch. When you turn it on it pumps water on demand from your water storage tank to your faucets, toilet or shower.

I keep about 20 gallons in my storage tank when traveling to flush the toilet or wash our hands. After use i turn off my water pump at the switch.

Welcome to the wide world of camping.. soon you will be an old hat at it.

silvercorvette

Anderson SC

View Profile

Posted: 05/09/13 06:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry,

It's all good no problem

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Using the RV toilet on the road
Search:   Advanced Search