RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Full-time RVing: Problems encountered full timing ?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Problems encountered full timing ?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Cloud 9

Guilford, Vt

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/13 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just wondering what you folks have found in your travels, that you did not expect, or plan for.

We are not yet full timing, but have taken several long cross country trips, For example, one of the things we were surprised by, was the "road". The harsh weather changes, traffic, 18 wheelers blowing by in blinding snow, etc. Your unpleasant surprises ? Could be anything.

Valkyriebush

Yuma, Az/Chimacum, Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/13 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Construction on bridges in regards to traveling are a lot more nerve wracking!!! Pleasant surprise was many RV repair facilities will let you over night when needed while getting repaired. Con: overnighting in a repair facility. lol

Command Master Chief (AW) USN, (ret)
2003 Fleetwood Excursion 330 Turbo Cat 39D
2000 Jeep GC
2005 Big Ruckus (Rides Behind Jeep)
2003 VTX 1800

bobsallyh

Livingston, TX.

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/13 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As a fulltimer there should be no reason to be traveling in snow. We start heading south before it even gets a chance and we sure ease on up north watching the weather so we don't run into snow. I didn't retire and fulltime to run around in snow. As far as traffic it comes and goes, doesn't really bother us. There are some locations we may leave earlier in the AM to avoid rush hour, and we DON"T do reservations so we don't have to be some place at a given time. Just use the KISS theory!

HappyKayakers

Malabar FL

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/13 07:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bad sections of road that sneak up on you. Before you can slow down, you just know stuff is flying around in the RV. I hit one stretch of road in southern IN that had my 5er bucking like a wild bronco. A few miles up the road I discovered I had a broken leaf spring.

Joe and Dakota, the wacko cat
Fulltiming since 2006
2006 Dodge 3500 QC CTD SRW Jacobs Exhaust brake
2006 Heartland Bighorn 3600RL, MorRyde suspension, TrailAir pinbox
http://happykayakers.com/

doxiemom11

Alabama

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/13 07:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All the semi's - all the parks that are built right next to the expressway, or next to the railroad tracks. Parks that advertise as "big rig" friendly that are not big enough to drive thru let alone park anywhere.

Friendly people, both in and out of the campgrounds. In 2 years workamping we have met very few grumpy people.

Eycom

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/13 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Surprises? Perhaps many years of extended business travel, dealing with ice/snow/heat/traffic/break-downs/poor roads, etc., etc., prepared me for (or drove me towards) the full time lifestyle. Those issues continue in large part, as does the maintenance on the RV or a sticks & bricks. Life is simply things that happen to you when in fact you are planning something else. The mobile lifestyle has allowed me to deal with those issues, minimize their impact, and see/experience so much of the country most people only get to read about. It's a unique freedom and I'm looking forward to more upon retirement.

RVn Full-time

MaverickBBD

Formerly of Bellingham, Wahington, U.S.A.

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/13 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Inconsiderate and uncourteous people. I guess I should have been surprised but I figure if I am attempting to lead a stress free lifestyle others I meet would be likewise. Should have known jerks are everywhere.

Tom, Cheryl & Blossom(coonhound mix)
'05 Winnebago Journey 36G w/Cat. C-7 350 hp Freightliner XC
AFE air filter, aero turbine muffler, 4 FSD Konis, ultra track bell crank and Safe-T-Plus
FMCA 397030
WIT 129107

Roads Less Traveled

Traveling

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/13 09:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We haven't had any unpleasant surprises that I can think of, except, perhaps, the time in our 7th week on the road when we drove down a little road and got STUCK and couldn't turn around!.

The pleasant surprises have outweighed any negatives by a long shot. Our horizons have been broadened, we've grown as people, our relationship has deepened, many new opportunities have opened up for us...

Full-timing is the best thing we ever did!!!!

The main thing for newcomers, I think, is to remind yourself that it is not *forever* -- it's a lifestyle you can enjoy as long as it is fun. Then you can do something else.

2007 Hitchhiker II 34.5 RLTG Fifth Wheel
2007 Dodge RAM 3500 Long Bed / Single Rear Wheel
Traveling full-time in an RV and sailboat since 2007
Our full-time blog: http://roadslesstraveled.us
-Stories, photos, and lots of RVing tips!!

sdianel

Tampa, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 05/26/13 09:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Our first year we had some surprises like those you listed. We learned from them and changed our plans accordingly. We do not drive in bad weather. We check the weather 10 days in advance and change our plans if needed. Only 2x in 5 years have we had to leave the RV for bad weather. Once in OH and once in FL. We have a weather radio for pop up storms and find the shelter when we arrive at our stop. We also learned to take the US highways rather than interstate highways and go slower. Bad road you can't do anything about except to go slower. We avoid major cities if possible. If we want to see a big city, we park outside and drive the toad in. Even with all the negatives, the positives greatly outweigh them. We consider it part of the adventure.

Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

rockhillmanor

On the Road

View Profile

Posted: 05/26/13 09:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cloud 9 wrote:

Just wondering what you folks have found in your travels, that you did not expect, or plan for.

We are not yet full timing, but have taken several long cross country trips, For example, one of the things we were surprised by, was the "road". The harsh weather changes, traffic, 18 wheelers blowing by in blinding snow, etc. Your unpleasant surprises ? Could be anything.

No one can really predict if they will successfully to do it forever. Simply because you have 'never' done it!

An exit plan put in place, IMHO, JMHO should be the first item on everyone's list BEFORE going full time.

SNOW? Full Timer's don't do snow and it is no longer in their vocabulary!

And btw you need to carry quarters with you all the time. Lots and lots of quarters!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Full-time RVing

> Problems encountered full timing ?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Full-time RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS