RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Dealer walk through, what would you do the second time?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Dealer walk through, what would you do the second time?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Haynaorno

Lackawanna

View Profile

Posted: 06/13/13 09:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's home! My wife took pictures and notes the entire review, we saved video on the ipad of each componet and towing set up. Towing with WDH and Sway control was calm but not too fast, raining heavy on way home. One question that we have is running the hot water heater on Gas vs. electric, my guess is quicker recovery on gas but using the CG's electric would have some upside on saving LP. Anyone notice a difference between the 2 systems in performance?

BTW- the tech was awesome and spent over 4 hours no concern or question left by the time we were ready to leave.

2013 Taco LWB DC
2014 Surveyor 225t

bikendan

Napa, Cal.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/14/13 01:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

just a comment, that trailer is going to be an issue for your Taco, when you start getting in the mountains. with an actual weight of around 4500lbs. from the factory, you can easily be in the 5500lbs. loaded for camping range.
that v-6 can probably handle the flats but it will struggle in places like the Rockies or Sierras or a strong headwind.

Dan- Firefighter, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2007 Rockwood Roo 23SS w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

dadmomh

Jackson, TN

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/13 08:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My understanding that the WH does recover faster on propane than electric. DH just flips the switch to the WH during regular set up so it's ready whenever we are. Have never had a problem running out of hot water either showering or dishwashing....just getting used to turning the water off and on rather than letting it run. Same thing with the frig - cools faster on propane, but changes over to electric at the CG. We've never needed to speed up either process. We figure we're paying for electric with the site fee, so that's what gets used.

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604
2003 Ford F-150 with Blue Ox 1000
5 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Foxy is our new camping buddy.
Our rescued sisters, Biscuit and Lily, are 6 mo old!
Support responsibility....Spay/Neuter!

Haynaorno

Lackawanna

View Profile

Posted: 06/16/13 02:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Weekend went great thanks for all the help on walk through. Had to check the notes a couple times but overall no crisis. Electric HW was more than enough for our needs' it is very hot, did not expect that much temp. What a difference from the pop up on having hot water! Found I still like to cook outside, may need to upgrade my outside kitchen to newer gas stove. I did not get an outside gas hook up on the camper, has anyone spliced one in? Would need a flaring tool and hardware but thought I'd check if its been done aftermarket.

As for the Taco, three things it will never see while towing- 7000 ft, 70mph and 5th gear :-). We knew that going in so no surprise. It's the perfect truck for us 95percent of the time and we'll take it real easy while towing. Very stable, just underpowered for sure. That said, we towed the pop up with 1988 5.0l Chevy truck with 175hp and 3.08 rear and the taco feels like a diesel compared so all perspective I suppose.

Thanks all, let me know if you mod'd a camp stove. For now a tank stand will work just fine.

docnascar

Md

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/13 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Congrats on the new camper.

My second time around I would take it for a test drive. The brakes vibrate on mine and I have yet had luck getting the dealer to want to fix them. They lied to me and said it was normal. I didn't know better at the time. Next month I'm going somewhere else and getting them fixed regardless.

Taking a video is a great idea. Easy to forget stuff.

LOL at the awning comments. That so happened to us. Forgot how to put it out and was unhooking things I should have left alone. Almost shoved the awning into the camper windows. Lessons learned but now I can do the awning like I'm a pro.

Make sure if they install your receiver that it is properly torqued or risk what happened to me.

2010 Chevy Silverado LT (4.8L/3:23 rear, trac one rack)
[Yellow Chute 98 Kayak]
[Blue Equinox 10.4 Kayak]
2012 Coachmen Apex 18BH (sleeps 5)
------------------------------------------

real4u2c

America

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/13 05:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Partner this is what we did, I had my dealer have their Lead Mechanic show me how to troubleshoot basic items associated with my particular htt. Now that was as he was also walking me through operator orientation, ie' manual slide crank arm location, H2O filter location, electric tongue lift over ride, does the mattress have heat. Another thing the wife and I did was talk to the parts staff prior to even seeking help with sales department, they know what models are having the costly repairs, recalls, and the sort. Go looking on rain , snow, windy days. This way you can inspect the quality of the equipment.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Hybrid Travel Trailers

> Dealer walk through, what would you do the second time?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Hybrid Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS