|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> air compressor for inflating tires

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
joema62

Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/13 06:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

VIAIR VIAIR-40046 400P-RV VIAIR Portable I have identified this air compressor as a potential candidate for our integra rv. Have not found specification on its air capacity and pressure ability. Is there anyone that help

K Charles

Connecticut

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/13 07:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

here

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/13 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hmm, we just bought a "Slime" cig lighter filler.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

rv2go

Fulltime (Knoxville, TN).... or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/13 07:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you not use the on board air system to inflate your tires?

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335
Travel Photos

WyoTraveler

Northwest, Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/13 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Go to the viair web site they have all the specs. I have the Viair 450p. Mine is the auto model. Great air compressor. When comparing compressors you need to compare pressure and cfm. The cheap ones just don't cut it. I use it to winterize on the road when temp drops below 10 degrees. Plus using it on tires. Check out Amazon prices.

2013 Monaco Monarch
2012 Jeep Wrangler
AC6CV, ex-WN8RUR, ex-W8RUR, ex-K7RIO, ex-WB6GBR since 1954
Commercial 1st class Radio Telephone, & Telegraph certificate
ARRL 35 WPM Certificate.

RayChez

Barstow, Ca. USA

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/13 08:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rv2go wrote:

Can you not use the on board air system to inflate your tires?

I have seen where some coaches have a quick disconnect usually by your generator area where they can attach a hose with a quick disconnect and inflate their tires if needed. Sure would like to see where that line connects to on the coach so that I could install one on mine.

Well, I was referring to a diesel that has air brakes and an air compressor already. Was wondering if you connect to the air reservoir or to the compressor itself.

* This post was edited 06/15/13 10:21pm by RayChez *

2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2013 Honda CR-V EX
Aventa II
FMCA member

popeye766

lake tx.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/13 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes on on-board compressors...In fact I just put one on my Pace Arrow.... after my first 5000 mi trip and being the kind of guy that does all my own work I decided that never again will go on the road without sufficient tools to repair minor + emergencies.
I installed a 125 PSI husky 8gal, 120 V in my basement. Would not fit height wise so I removed the motor, and built a bracket to mount it on the side and removed the wheels and handle.FITS SO NICE NOW.
Now I have 50' air hose, air tools, and piece of mind. WE always run our Onan underway because of air and freezer so I always have power anywhere /anytime.
I carry the containers to even change my oil if needed. Self contained...ME... you better believe it.Dont ever want to be towed for something minor that I can fix.

sdbounderdiesel

San Diego

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/15/13 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have the VIAIR 400P portable compressor. I think max output is 150 psi. I routinely use it to air up my tires to about 115 psi. I've had it for over six years now with no problems at all. If you buy one, be sure to get the inline guage/hose that has the right pressure range for your needs. I think the standard guage is a 100 psi guage. I upgraded it to a VIAIR inline guage with a higher max pressure.

wny_pat

Western NYS

View Profile

Posted: 06/15/13 10:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

joema62 wrote:

VIAIR VIAIR-40046 400P-RV VIAIR Portable I have identified this air compressor as a potential candidate for our integra rv. Have not found specification on its air capacity and pressure ability. Is there anyone that help
Why do you want a 12 volt air compressor when your engine has it own air compressor??? If fact your engine hads a air compressor that works so well that makes the Viair perform like a toy! I mean, we are talking about a Entegra Aspire, are we not??? It has a Cummins ISL turbocharged 450 HP engine 1,250 lb. ft. torque at 1,400 RPM and every one of them that I know of has a air compressor.

* This post was edited 06/15/13 10:50pm by wny_pat *

“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

FIRE UP

Lake Havasu City AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/16/13 12:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Gents,
It's always nice to have "Options" when it comes to having compressed air in our coaches for various reasons. After having (7) different Jeep Wranglers over a 25 year period, and all of them having an engine driven air compressor, it's definitely a force of habit having a good supply of air while out and about.

Yes, those of us who have diesel pusher units have a full supply of air, and the source is of course, an engine driven air compressor. And, many have outputs for use as tire filling stations etc. But, sometimes starting the big beast up, possibly in prepping for an early morning departure, just to utilize the engine driven compressor to top off a tire, might not be looked on too favorable by fellow campers.

So, out comes the "auxiliary compressor". And that can be one of many different models and makes. I'm not a fan of any 12V unit due to the very low CFM output of all of them. Yes, some claim HIGH PSI but, that high psi is momentary at best. High PSI in a volume the size of a basket ball is not overly hard to achieve from one of those. But, trying to achieve high psi on some thing the size of 255 80 22.5 or the 300 80 22.5 is pretty hard to say the least.

Many, including myself use the Sears unit as an auxiliary compressor for such a task. It seems to put out a fair SCFM at a rate that's tolerable for most. As stated, there are multiple makes and models so, just make sure the volume and SCFM is acceptable so you're not there for hours on end, just to top off one tire.
Scott

Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> air compressor for inflating tires