RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Is 45 feet too long?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Is 45 feet too long?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
KampingKris

Folsom, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/13 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In our constant search for a new rig... the one we like the best so far is of course - 45 feet - tag. Right now we have a 36 foot 5er. Our other choice is a 41 footer, but it's not the same quality.
Is there a big difference in driving/backing such a big rig than say... the 41 footer? Or, are we going to regret driving around such a giant house?

KampingKris & FiremanSteve
Jada - American Eskie princess
2008 Tiffin Allergro Bus
2010 Polaris 850XP
2010 Polaris RZR

oubruceb

Edmond, Ok

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/13 10:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

All class A motorhomes are fairly easy to drive. You may run into a problem with some states only allowing 40' homes. Extra slides can make a big space difference. I have a 43' Allegro bus with 4 slides and have had problems finding spots long and wide enough.

ArchHoagland

Clovis, CA, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 10:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My coach is 38 feet long. Another seven feet wouldn't bother me at all.

My class A is easier to park than any trailer I ever had.

I'd say go for it.

2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Seneca 35GS

whittier

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/13 11:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Currently in YELLOWSTONE N.P. and my 35' Super "C" looks like a giant amoung all the travel trailers and Cruise America "C's". I did have a chore parking a Super "C" at Fishing Bridge RV park in the N.P.

StephJohn2010

Black Hills, South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 11:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

oubruceb wrote:

All class A motorhomes are fairly easy to drive. You may run into a problem with some states only allowing 40' homes. Extra slides can make a big space difference. I have a 43' Allegro bus with 4 slides and have had problems finding spots long and wide enough.

I know some roads won't allowed motorhomes over 40', but states? What states don't allow 40+ ft rigs?

John & Steph
RV Daily Life Video Blog
2012 Fleetwood Discovery 40x (15,000 miles)
380 HP Cummins with an Allison Transmission - Freightliner Chassis
2012 Toyota Prius - Dolly'd 7,000 miles so far
2007 Prius - Dolly'd about 3,000 miles - Traded in 2013

royl

The USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/13 11:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

45 feet is allowed in all states. The commercial motor coach I used to drive was a 45 foot and it was allowed everywhere. Maybe you meant state parks? The thing you need to watch is wheel base, a camper in the park that I am hosting at right now came in this last week and cut a corner too short and hung up on some large boulders, destroyed 3 compartment doors and the surround fiberglass around his rear tire. The coach was on it's first trip out brand new. He had traded in an older motorhome that was only 5 feet shorter but a lot shorter wheel base so it turned around in a lot smaller space.

Roy & Sabine
1 Spoiled Chihuahua Dog
1 Spoiled Cat
1998 Winnebago Itasca 35' Class A with Banks Powerpack

havasu

Lake Havasu

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/13 11:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think he meant roads. There are no states that ban 40+' motorhomes.

mrkoje

Great Falls, MT

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 12:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

royl wrote:

45 feet is allowed in all states. The commercial motor coach I used to drive was a 45 foot and it was allowed everywhere. Maybe you meant state parks? The thing you need to watch is wheel base, a camper in the park that I am hosting at right now came in this last week and cut a corner too short and hung up on some large boulders, destroyed 3 compartment doors and the surround fiberglass around his rear tire. The coach was on it's first trip out brand new. He had traded in an older motorhome that was only 5 feet shorter but a lot shorter wheel base so it turned around in a lot smaller space.

I cringe at the thought - I can only imagine how the owner of that fancy rig felt when he heard or felt the fiberglass ripping off. Especially on a brand new rig on it's maiden voyage!

Desert Fox 29SB
Ram 2500 4WD 6.7L CTD
Polaris RZR 1000XP

Executive

California/Arizona/South Dakota

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 02:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Size does matter...:..45' is not too long...that said, you will have to rethink your camping agenda. With a large rig, most of us like the creature comforts..i.e. full hookups, 50amp service etc. etc., so we don't do a lot of boondocking. Obviously the larger the rig, the larger the holding tanks etc. but...We've found our limit is about 5 days before our tanks are full. If you like State campgrounds your choice is somewhat limited. Check where you are most likely to go and see how many sites they have available for big rigs. With a small rig, you can just jump in and go...you'll fit almost anywhere..the 45' not so much.

As for the turning radius, check the unit you're considering closely. My tag lifts making the turning radius much less than if I leave it down. We went from a 27' Winnie to a 40' to a 45' and don't regret it for a minute. The extra 5' may not seem like much but it's huge. Same with the tag..driving it is a breeze. The tag provides more CCC but you sacrifice one storage compartment.

We stay off Interstates when possible and have been mostly on two lane roads and some single lane roads with no problems. I do scout the CG when we arrive to look over the road situation, mostly for my comfort zone. There have been very few CGs that I would not fit into. That said, those that I felt I couldn't fit into, I wouldn't want to anyway.......

My advice...drive a 40' tag and a 45' tag and see the difference. Also, check your State's drivers license regulations. Some States require a different classification for anything over 40'....Dennis

MY SENSE OF HUMOR IS THE MAIN REASON I'LL MOST LIKELY GO TO HELL !
Dennis and Debi Fifth Year Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

Medico

Where ever the front of the coach takes us!

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/13 04:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would acquire the Big Rig Best Bets book. The authors have personally visited each RV park listed (hundreds in every state and many in Canada). They also list fuel depots and nice restaurants they have visited. Take a look.

I own both the 2012 Printed version and the 2013 Digital version.

GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655, FMCA #F431170

2006 Country Coach Magna, 2012 Jeep Liberty

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Is 45 feet too long?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: