RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Tundra 4.6L capability?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tundra 4.6L capability?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
Luv2Q

Central TX

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 12:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Howdy, All!

My wife & I are total rookies when it comes to travel trailers & could sure use some advice. We're leaning towards the 15-16 ft sizes (+/-).

We have a '13 Tundra Double Cab with the 4.6L V8, towing package and 6-speed. "Trailer Weight Rating" (trailer wt + occupants & cargo) is around 8,200 lbs but what is realistic in the real world?

It seems like the 15-16 foot trailers run around 1500-2200 lbs dry. If that's correct, I'd think the Tundra - even with such a small engine - would handle it. But .. Does that mean it'll just be creeping up hills? I'm already finding the dang thing wants to downshift at every change in grade.

Any/all observations, comments will be appreciated. As mentioned, we're at ground zero on the learning curve.

Thanks in advance ..

John

Regards from TX ..
.. John

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 05:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

With a towing rating of 8200 lbs, you have more truck than needed to tow a 2200 lb dry weight camper by a factor of at least 2. You won't even notice it's back there, try to not fall over from shock when you arrive and realize somebody tagged on a trailer while you were traveling.

You got nothing to worry about.

Oh, the reason it wants to downshift at every change in grade is that it is set up to squeeze every inch of travel out of every drop of gas. While you are towing, it will certainly get poorer mileage than when you are not towing, so expect it to use lower gears than normal pretty much all the time. But that's only because of the programming. In the old days, they just would not have given you those extra tall gears, the ones needed to squeeze every drop of fuel 'till it screamed for mercy.

Santa Fe

PA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 05:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 4Runner with the 4.7L V8 and just bought a 3300lbs dry hybrid. My Runner does a fine job pulling it and never struggles going up hills. I'd say the setup that you're looking at would be a great fit. Good luck!

TV: 2015 RAM 1500 Outdoorsman Crew Cab
5.7L HEMI V8
4x4

TT: 2016 Keystone RV Springdale 260LE

Have Yorkie, will travel.

Ron3rd

Upland, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 06:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hitch up and go camping. You'll be fine with that setup.

2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

Bob Landry

Austin, texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 06:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I towed a Jayco 22FB(5000 lbs) with one. It did OK except in the mountains and bucking the West Texas wind. I also had a Tundra 5.7L with a 8000lb Keystone that did all right. On both trucks I quit using T/H because the trucks would take on a life of their own and stay in high RPMs which I didn't think necessary. As with you, the constant downshifting on grades became really annoying. There was a service bulletin from Toyota about reprograming the shift points on the 4.6L. I had it done, and it did help a little bit I don't think the software people at Toyota know much about towing. I got 10MPG with both rigs I ended up using select and locking out 6th gear and the 5.7L did well. I upgraded to a F250 for payload, not because the Tundra wouldn't tow the bigger trailer. I would not hesitate to tow with the rig you mentioned, The Tundras are probably the stoutest 1/2 ton trucks and you will be fine. There are times when I miss mine.

2011 Keystone Outback 277RL

skipnchar

Topeka or somewhere else

View Profile

Posted: 07/12/13 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't see anything wrong with towing a trailer in that size range with the truck. Just remember that if you LIKE it and are like MOST you will be wanting to move up to something larger and THEN you'll have the truck issue to address again. With that in mind it's only YOUR decision to make.
Good luck / Skip

2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

ependydad

Here and there

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/12/13 03:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Agreed with the others - something that weight, you most likely can just hitch up and go AND throw a bunch of stuff in the truck bed.

BUT- if you want to learn about the numbers and how to figure it all out, try reading my blog page at:
What Can I Tow?

2017 Spartan 1245 by Prime Time
2012 Ram 3500 Crew Cab DRW w/ 4.10 gears and 8' bed
FW Hitch: B&W Turnover Ball + Companion
Learn to RV- learn about RVing - Towing Planner Calculators - Family Fulltiming FB page

Whiskeyjack44

Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/13/13 12:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have a 2012 4.6 Tundra 2wd DC also w/8200 tow capacity. We tow a 3700lb wet RPod. If my experience with the RPod is any indication, you're gonna be in heaven towing at the level you're describing. I can climb any pass in Washington State at pretty much any legal speed I desire. No, the little 4.6 probably couldn't comfortably tow any 8200 lbs where I tow, but I'm pretty sure it would do well with quite a bit more than what I tow. I do lock out 6th, as the transmission searches some when towing with 6th enabled. On tougher climbs I sometimes also lock out 5th, but can still keep up with most of the big boys.

JLTN_James

Colorado

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/13 12:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My 2004 Tundra has the 4.6L engine, 4x4, Access Cab model (7,000# capacity). Does really well with my 2400# pop-up with gear in the bed and a family of 4. I can pull the continental divide on I-70 easily at 60-65MPH which is the speed limit for most of that climb west of Denver. I've pulled the trailer at 10,000 feet elevation without problems.

I've pulled 5,000# moving trailers with no problems too.

Toyota started using the new SAE J2807 standard to determine the towing capacity in 2010. It is generally believed that the J2807 testing will end up reduce the towing capaicty of the domestics (which may be one reason they haven't started using it yet).

2004 Toyota Tundra SR5 (V8, 4WD, TP, TRD)
2005 Fleetwod Allegance with axle flip
Honeywell 2000i Generator

Me, DW, DS, DD, & Chicken-Dog

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/15/13 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JLTN_James wrote:

My 2004 Tundra has the 4.6L engine, 4x4, Access Cab model (7,000# capacity).

Ummm... 2004 had the 4.7, not the 4.6. Vastly different engine and power output.

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Tundra 4.6L capability?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS