|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Marcus Lemonis in New CNBC Series "The Profit"

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Jim Shoe

Amelia, OH

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 05:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I watched last night and have to say I was impressed. Sometimes it takes somebody from the outside to shake things up in a business that does things in a certain way because they always have. And Marcus had some of his own skin in the game.
I'm looking forward to next week.

Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

H345

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/13 08:52am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marcus ,

Thank you for posting . I enjoyed the first episode and the ideas that you bring to the table . It would be nice to see these business decisions after about six months .

My only personal thought would be to apply the same philosophy to the Camping World franchise
operators .

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 10:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I actually like a few of these reality shows, but I also realize most of them are not reality. This one is a good example. Don't think for a minute that Marcus is investing "his own" money in these businesses. The money he is planning on making on the TV show is what is being invested. Just like when Donald Trump donates all of his own money to charities on his TV show. All he's really donating is a small percentage of what he makes with the TV show. And the Storage War TV shows when they whine about losing a thousand dollars when they spend $2k on a storage locker and are only being able to sell the contents for $1k. They forget to mention the $10k per episode they are each paid for being on the show and all the free advertising they get for their businesses. Or how about Orange County Choppers? Paul Sr. wants you to believe that he built his empire all by himself. He had a little motorcycle shop and happened to be in the right place at the right time and got the TV show and that is what built his empire.

Don't get me wrong, I don't fault any of these people for making money. It's just we need to realize they aren't doing this for charity, there is a profit motive in there too.

2004 National Tropi-Cal T-350, Class A, Triple slide, 330 HP Cat DP.
2006 Dodge Dakota 4x4

mlemonis

lincolnshire, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/13 11:26am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

This is my personal money. Make no mistake about it.

Marcus Lemonis
Chairman and CEO FreedomRoads, Camping World and RVs.com

Washington, DC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 11:31am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The real money comes when and if one gets an ownership stake in the production, especially in licensing and syndication rights if the series is popular enough to last that long. Even more so with a series on a major TV or cable network. But you rarely have that kind of leverage with a new, unproven series unless you're a well known talent with a track record.

It wouldn't surprise me that Gordon Ramsey makes most of his money from an ownership stake in his various reality shows, more so than all his restaurant ventures combined. And the free publicity can also result in lucrative commercial licensing, talent fees, and residual deals from book and video sales.

JayGee

Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 11:34am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sorry I missed it. I'll try to catch it online.

mlemonis, if you start making movies I hope it's a western. Not enough of those made anymore.

Jaygee

2005 Bounder 35E on F53 chassis

msmith1199

Central, CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/31/13 11:47am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlemonis wrote:

If you say so. I still think you'll make more money than you spend in the long run, but like I said, I'm all for that. Capitalism at its best.

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/13 12:45pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mlemonis wrote:

Good for you. Perhaps we can get some more Main Street Businesses back in our economy.

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/13 01:34pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's truly nice to go into a RV store that has a whole lot of inventory, in stock.
Also, it was fun watching the NASCAR Camping World Truck race at Eldora.
I don't know him personally, but I'm a fan all the same.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

Adventure

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/31/13 04:37pm Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marcus,

I watched the show online just now. Last night I could not watch it on tv because America's Got Talent then the news was on in our area The Profit was not shown. The show was interesting and I would watch it again.

The spruce up of the building made a huge, fresh difference. Uniforms gave a professional crisp image. I noticed the logo has a halo on it like Good Sam also the business was redone in Good Sam like colors, red, blue and yellow (this forum page is red, blue, yellow and black). Is this a coincidence or will the halo be inserted in all the businesses that Marcus takes on?

So...the episode ended and next week will be another business what is the update on Car Cash since the show was filmed? It would be interesting to have an update at the end of each show that was added just before airing on the status of the business since the filming. I would also like to know the current status of the brothers relationship and how it is working out for them as business partners. How are you involved in their business today Marcus?

Marcus, I am amazed how much you can take on with the workload you already had before these tv shows. How do you do it all and what was/is the experience like for you?

* This post was edited 07/31/13 04:44pm by Adventure *

2005 F250 V10, 4x4, CC,
Tow Command
Our Condo on Wheels
2005 Sunnybrook 33FKS
Hensley Arrow-Love it!
Places we slept in our RV, have also visited WA,NV,CA,HI,MN without rv

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> Marcus Lemonis in New CNBC Series "The Profit"