RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Around the Campfire: It is truly a wonder...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> It is truly a wonder...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
hokeypokey

xxx

View Profile

Posted: 08/11/13 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jarlaxle wrote:

CA POPPY wrote:

You kids were lucky. My mom used iodine and it burned! I'm so old I remember mustard plasters and poultices. I hated having Vicks smeared on my chest and then covered with flannel more than anything. Couldn't stand the sticky feeling. It's funny because a lot of people remember Vicks fondly. Pepto Bismol makes me gag today. My mother was not a sensitive nurse. She made you want to get better real soon!

Vicks works for me. The smell of Vicks actually makes my wife retch! If I use it, one of us sleeps on the couch.

I'm with your wife. I used to fight like a tiger if Mom tried to smear it on me. She'd let me win and just wait until I went to sleep then smear it on.

christopherglenn

Near Yosemite

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/13 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA POPPY wrote:

If we had a nail turning black from being slammed in a door or something, my dad would drill a hole right through it with a tiny bit, to take the pressure off. That would probably constitute child abuse today, but it worked.

Now its a needle in the vice grips held over the burner to heat it, then (used hot) to melt the hole in the nail. If they won't hold still, it can take 3 or 4 heating cycles to do it. If done right, there is no pain for hours..

2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

down home

south

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/13 12:03am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm gonna spell this wrong. Anyone ever been tortured to wear ascidifie?
It will drive off pret near anything including germs. Put some in the windows with the fans blowing out and watch the neighborhood leave.
Grand Ma ran out of Nitroglycerine pills one time. They made her turn bright red. They were for hear trouble. So she had bee draw the dynamite bucket out of the well. She scraped a small bit of sweat off a stick of dynamite. This is all dangerous stuff as it is pure nitro.. Ou flick it with you finger onto something and it will make a good explosion. She mixed it with gensing and took a bit of it. She though she was going to die. She really turned red. Probably should have been mixed with a buffering agent, of some kind. Her Spring Tonic would make you swear off just about everything. She made it with peeled Sassafras root, gensing, goldenrod, I think and and few other things, Even after coming to live with MoM and Dad , in town she doesd us with that stuff, One morning we woukd get up and someone didn't feel right and before he could think it through say I don't feel goood. Grand Ma would say time for Spring tonic. I got to help her gather the ingredients and she boiled them for a long time. The vapors expunging the house, no doubt of any evil spirits. There was no getting away. A teaspoon or drin of that stuuf, if you weren't feeling bad you were now. It cramped me to death drew me over, By evening it felt like life again and you were all cleaned out top to bottom. She drank that stuff as tea.

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/13 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So maybe some of the plagues that killed off whole families in the past, were really only Grandma's remedies?

* This post was edited 08/12/13 08:57am by an administrator/moderator *

Judy & Bud (Judy usually the one talking here)
Darcy the Min Pin
2004 Pleasure-Way Excel TD
California poppies in the background

Jarlaxle

New England

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/13 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

hokeypokey wrote:

Jarlaxle wrote:

CA POPPY wrote:

You kids were lucky. My mom used iodine and it burned! I'm so old I remember mustard plasters and poultices. I hated having Vicks smeared on my chest and then covered with flannel more than anything. Couldn't stand the sticky feeling. It's funny because a lot of people remember Vicks fondly. Pepto Bismol makes me gag today. My mother was not a sensitive nurse. She made you want to get better real soon!

Vicks works for me. The smell of Vicks actually makes my wife retch! If I use it, one of us sleeps on the couch.

I'm with your wife. I used to fight like a tiger if Mom tried to smear it on me. She'd let me win and just wait until I went to sleep then smear it on.

Wouldn't work...the slightest whiff will wake her up. If I go into the bedroom with it, she'll wake up the moment I do. I have maybe 20 seconds before she starts coughing &.gagging.

John and Elizabeth (Liz), with 3 nutty cats
My beloved St. Bernard, Marm, lost him 1/2/12
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

Rubber Ducky1

Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/13 08:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife swears by Rawleigh Antiseptic Salve! It comes in a small yellow can. She uses it on the grandkids for anything from a scraped knee to an amputated finger. (just kidding about the last part) Its active ingredients are: Turpentine and Liquefied Phenol combined in a base of Petrolelum Parafin and Cottonseed Oil. Wife says that if this stuff doesn't heal an injury nothing will!

CA POPPY

Santa Clarita, CA, USA

View Profile

Posted: 08/12/13 10:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anybody else remember when their school had students peddling little flat tins of salve as a fund raiser? I think one was called Red Rose and the other was "White "something?" Neighbors bought it just to be polite, likely $1 for the two tins. I am betting it was vaseline with maybe a scent added.

ventrman

Dickson, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/13 05:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CA POPPY wrote:

Back in the Day in the Ozarks, they used to smear your Chest with Skunk Grease.

God Bless!

ventrman

Dickson, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 08/12/13 05:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing I use as an Antiseptic is Tea Tree Oil. It kills a Lot of Germs such as Staff and Strep on contact. The Oil evaporates, so I mix a little with Vaseline. That Way I can keep it where I want it. I recently knocked a Hole in my right Shin when I fell climbing from my MH. I am doctoring it with that. It is healing it right up. It also kills Candida and Fungus. It is very good for Athlete's Foot. It is exceptional for Burns and Insect Bites. I never go anywhere without some in my First Aid Kit.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Around the Campfire  >  General Topics

> It is truly a wonder...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Around the Campfire

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS