|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> MEDIUM DUTY TRUCKS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/13 07:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wirenutz wrote:

2oldman , your just the guy I would like to talk to, guess I should of said both are fully converted to Sportchassis, and yes I would have to say old guy is joking with both being rated at 60,000 lbs GCWR, right now I tow with a 1 ton older diesel and just feel at 6,000 lbs its not enough truck and with the rough ride, the air ride cab and seats would make it so much easier to put 500 miles a day behind us

Don't know what you're comparing to, but my 5er is loaded to 16,000# and I towed it with a 2010 Ram 3500 crew cab long bed dually...could drive it for 10 hrs and not be fatigued and I was 60 when I got it...The 2012 I had (same truck) did a little better job with a little more GVWR and GCWR as well as TQ,

The 2013 Ram in my sig. has a 14,000# GVWR and a GCWR of 37,000#! Yeah, that's a lot and it's a very comfortable truck and states it can tow up to a 28,000# 5er ( with 4:10)..medium duty tranny Aisin gives the truck with the Cummins a 385HP and 850ftlb of TQ rating....It'll get better mpg and handle a very heavy 5er and the EB is AWESOME...just saying, the newer F350's and 3500's can't be compared to some that were running around in 09'-10.....they've come a long way...so nothing wrong with a MD or HD TV but, with what you're stating you're going to tow, the newer Ram, Ford and Chevy 1 ton dually's could handle the weight you want to tow....Now you start talking about 5er's with a GVW of 22,000# upward..then might look around a little more, or I'll take for face value what my truck is stated it can tow and I'd feel comfortable with a 5er up to a GVW of 25,000#...

Jim & Kathy
2013 Dodge 3500DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin tranny/4:10/Cummins: 385HP/850TQ
06 HR Presidential Suite 37RLQ/SK3005 Satellite/Splendide XC2100/4slide/dual pane windows
2014 Jeep Compass Ltd 4X4
Boxers;Buddy& Sheba II
USAF 71-75 Nam Vet

mpierce

Scranton, ND

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/13 08:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wirenutz wrote:

to all the 1 ton truck owners; did you even read my post, first I all ready have a 1 ton truck, I don't need another one the ride sucks, we want to go big or just stay home, we want the air ride seats, the air ride cab, the bigger breaks, yes we know it's over kill, but it's better to have the over kill sized truck and lot's of room to spare in all aspect's, better ride, better breaking, more power, and the weight of the truck almost matching the weight of the trailer, some say their trucks weigh as much as 11,000 pounds, my 1 ton weigh's 6,000 and the trailer just pushes it, then the truck pulls it, causing a bucking and chucking on the inside of the truck, and 2oldman the 1 guy that actually has the same truck we are looking at, thank you for writing in your report, well said sir

Yes, I read your first post. Not ONCE did you mention you have an older one ton truck that you think sucks.

Some of us said that a MDT is overkill, but if that is what you want, get it. Why ask us?

Some of us said that the newer one ton trucks are heavier, have very good exhaust brakes, and ride MUCH better than the older ones, and thought that would be a better option for you.

You asked for our opinions, and we gave them. So, then you ream us out because we did not say what you wanted to hear.

Go get what will make you happy. Sounds like you had your mind made up long before you posted here.

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/13 08:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

double post....don't know why, but sorry...

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/13 08:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wirenutz wrote:

to all the 1 ton truck owners; did you even read my post, first I all ready have a 1 ton truck, I don't need another one the ride sucks, we want to go big or just stay home, we want the air ride seats, the air ride cab, the bigger breaks, yes we know it's over kill, but it's better to have the over kill sized truck and lot's of room to spare in all aspect's, better ride, better breaking, more power, and the weight of the truck almost matching the weight of the trailer, some say their trucks weigh as much as 11,000 pounds, my 1 ton weigh's 6,000 and the trailer just pushes it, then the truck pulls it, causing a bucking and chucking on the inside of the truck, and 2oldman the 1 guy that actually has the same truck we are looking at, thank you for writing in your report, well said sir

....and you stated it was a "1 ton OLDER diesel"....have you set in and/or driven a newer diesel, ie 2011 and up?

"the ride sucks".....again, when was the last time you test drove a NEW diesel... My 1 ton is around 9,000# and the 10 and 12 weighed less and my 5er NEVER pushed the truck around...how old is this "1 ton older diesel" you're talking about.

If you haven't tried out or driven one of the newer 1 ton Dually's...kind of hard to talk about how uncomfortable they are if you haven't driven or towed with one....just saying.

as far as overkill, you only gave a dry weight of 14,000#...that of course is a joke, but what is the GVW of the 5er you're going to tow? That's more realistic, the "dry weight" on my 5er is 14,400# with a GVWR of 16,950#....even if your's is 3 to 4,000# heavier a NEWER, more comfortable 1 ton crew cab, long bed dually could do it quite easily and offer quite a bit of comfort compared to a "1 ton OLDER diesel"....and getting mpg doing it..

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/13 08:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2oldman wrote:

wirenutz wrote:

right now I tow with a 1 ton older diesel and just feel at 6,000 lbs its not enough truck and with the rough ride, the air ride cab and seats would make it so much easier to put 500 miles a day behind us
I pulled with a 2003 F450 7.3 diesel, standard cab for 10 years. It was underpowered and uncomfortable. I put air ride on it, which helped some.

I picked up my SC (SportChassis) in July. I bobtailed home from Denver and drove 350 miles at 75mph the first day without even realizing it. I couldn't drive even close to that far in the old truck without almost passing out from fatigue. I never wanted to get out of the SC - it's that comfortable. I got 9.75 mpg. Air ride cab and seats are amazing. The kneel feature (rear end lowers) is nice for hitching up. The TrailerSaver air hitch is real smooth. The Allison transmission is HUGE and shifts smoothly. The Cummins 8.3 purrs real nice, like big rig. I like that sound.

These trucks are not for everyone. Their mere size is intimidating.. wider and taller than most pickups. It was difficult at first hitching up. Since I have a 4 seater cab, I cannot see the hitch by eye, I must use the backup camera, which is tricky. I had to put a strip of white tape on the king pin to help me see it.

As for the licensing and insuring, that's different for everyone. State Farm insures me, no problem. I just had to come to the office where they took photos. I have comprehensive which is surprisingly affordable. Licensing was a bit of a struggle however. The gal at the WA office spent almost an hour trying to figure out how to do that sans declaring me a commercial vehicle. She got 'er done, but another person there had no idea what to do. They don't do a lot of these.

I tried some HDTs but they had clutches. Not for me. However, Volvo has an iShift now.. totally automatic. You can probably get into an HDT, converted, for about the same price I did, but you need to find an installer and wait. There's a guy in Calgary who does this, but he never seemed to have time for me. No matter - I'm perfectly happy with my setup.

May I be so bold as to ask which 5er you're towing, or better yet, the GVW of it? Just curious. An 03 F450 probably would pale in comparison to a 2013 or 2014 F350 or Ram/Chevy/GM 3500 as far as GVWR, GCWR, HP, TQ, comfort and mpg....Was curious as to what kind of weight you're towing with your SC..

thx,
Jim

* This post was edited 09/10/13 08:44pm by NC Hauler *

wirenutz

kent,Wa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/13 09:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

from the original post; we are looking to move up to a medium duty truck, our fifth wheel is an 2007 forest river "all american sport" toy hauler at 38 feet long and 14,000 dry weight, so who has one and what do you have, nothing here about driving or buying a newer one ton truck with a $45,000 dollar price tag, with no air ride seats, no air ride chassis, no storage, no rear seat that converts to a bed, if your feeling a little but hurt about your over priced light duty truck, and don't have a freight liner sport chassis or a medium duty truck, what caused you to post in the first place, I just wanted to hear from the freight liner and other medium duty truck owner's is all, this really seams to be getting out of hand here people

2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

NC Hauler

Asheville NC

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/10/13 09:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wirenutz wrote:

from the original post; we are looking to move up to a medium duty truck, our fifth wheel is an 2007 forest river "all american sport" toy hauler at 38 feet long and 14,000 dry weight, so who has one and what do you have, nothing here about driving or buying a newer one ton truck with a $45,000 dollar price tag, with no air ride seats, no air ride chassis, no storage, no rear seat that converts to a bed, if your feeling a little but hurt about your over priced light duty truck, and don't have a freight liner sport chassis or a medium duty truck, what caused you to post in the first place, I just wanted to hear from the freight liner and other medium duty truck owner's is all, this really seams to be getting out of hand here people

Sorry, but you have yet to give a GVW of your 5er...AT 14,000# (dry), I was really just curious to know what loaded weight might be...again, just curious....but, it's irrelevant to your post anyway....Figured at no heavier than it is, you have a 5er that could be easily towed by a newer 1 ton dually..I will stop talking about these "light duty" trucks

oh...and no, I don't feel hurt at all, but appears you seem to be offended by being offered another choice, odds are you could easily purchase a "news" 2012-2013" 1 ton dually for $45,000 and even less, but now you're tossing out barbs as to feelings being a little hurt about "our" over priced light duty truck...at 14,000# GVW, 37,500# GCWR, guess you can call it light duty....BUT you have no idea what I paid for mine, so $45,000 sounds a bit overpriced to ME...but as you stated, you didn't ask for our opinions, for that, i apologize for having posted on your thread....won't ever happen again if I see you post., I'll understand you're only talking to a few and some opinions are not wanted and it's apparent when you need to offend others to drive home a point...I gotcha.

Back to the MD and HDH's....I apologize for hijacking your thead..

2oldman

Haugan MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/13 09:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NC Hauler wrote:

May I be so bold as to ask which 5er you're towing, or better yet, the GVW of it?
I answered most of that on page 1. I usually run about 14.5 gross.

This term I keep hearing: "one ton". Sure doesn't mean much anymore, at least not to me.

mrkoje

Great Falls, MT

View Profile

Posted: 09/10/13 10:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wirenutz wrote:

nothing here about driving or buying a newer one ton truck with a $45,000 dollar price tag, with no air ride seats, no air ride chassis, no storage, no rear seat that converts to a bed, if your feeling a little but hurt about your over priced light duty truck, and don't have a freight liner sport chassis or a medium duty truck

WOW such hostility!

I think the Sport Chassis is cool and if I had a huge 40ft or larger 5ver then it would be nice to have one. There is sort of the "cool" factor as well as the air ride suspension and seats are nice.

HOWEVER, I would be more at looking at the trade off for the money I am willing to spend. If I am only willing to spend $30-35k and my choices are 1998-1999 Sports Chassis with 140K plus miles on them with the old Cat engines VS. a 2010+ 1ton DRW with 30k miles then I would gravitate to the newer model. (Edit: You could most likely pick up a brand new 1ton DRW for a tad more)

But hey, if you're cool with dropping $35k on something that's 14-15 years old with old technology and HP and Torque ratings that are comparable or inferior to the newer 1ton light duty trucks then that is your choice. Just think though 5 years from now that MDT will be 20 years old and if it comes time to sell it you better be looking for someone with cash only because not a lot of banks if any will loan on that old of a rig. It doesn't matter if you're paying cash or not - the age limits your marketability if you wish to get rid of it in the future.

If I had $130k to spend on a TV ... well then damn right I would buy a NEWER Sport Chassis.

I ( as in ME only not you) don't think the value is there to spend that much money on 14-15 year old rig that will no doubt require more maintenance and probably cost you more in the long run than a newer 1ton. But hey what do I know .. I don't have a Sport Chassis or a 40ft 5ver but I do know some stuff about selling and value for the dollar.

Best of luck to you.

Edit: I forgot to mention that on another thread here is seems to be said more than a few times that the older FL60 70 and 80s were bad with cheap cabs, cheap interiors and horrible wind noise while going down the road. Again, I don't know if it's true or not but it would sure be hard for me justify paying almost the same money for an old old rig when I could of bought a brand new or almost brand new rig for the same money knowing that both of them are capable to do the job.

old thread on sport chassis

* This post was last edited 09/10/13 11:03pm by mrkoje *   View edit history

Desert Fox 29SB
Ram 2500 4WD 6.7L CTD
Polaris RZR 1000XP

gmcsmoke

Butler

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/11/13 04:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wirenutz wrote:

my 1 ton weigh's 6,000