|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Federal Park Camping and Looming Government Shutdown

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
melhow

Largo, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/13 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The family (10 of us with four sites total) and I have our annual 12-day trip planned for Elkmont in the Smokies beginning October 2. I am sweating the very real possibility of a government shutdown effective Oct. 1.

From what I've read, the park would close all access except for pass-thru driving allowed on 441 between Tennessee and North Carolina, no stopping allowed.

I'm trying to come up with a good plan-B, but I'm hesitant to reserve other sites, mainly because I am unfamiliar with RV'ing in parks in the area outside of the Smokies. I also don't want to drop a bunch more cash on second reservations just to be hit with a cancellation fee if nothing happens with the shutdown.

What's your thoughts on the issue (the effect of the shutdown and alternate plan-making, NOT the politics behind what caused the shutdown)? Anyone else's plans going to be affected?

*Edited to hopefully not start a politics thread

* This post was edited 09/13/13 07:48am by melhow *

2008 Keystone Hideout 23RKS
2012 Nissan Titan 4x4 PRO-4X
12,080 GCWR loaded for the woods

melhow

Largo, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/13 07:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I seriously have no desire to talk politics whatsoever. This post was honestly just to feel the waters to see if anyone else is in the same boat and if so, what's the plan.

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/13 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that happens it will mess up a bunch plans for all of those that love that high country area for the fall foliage.. We always tried to get down that way at the end of September and early October. The last couple of years however we have gone to the north Georgia state park area up on Lookout mtn Cloudland Canyon at the Trenton GA exit of I59. Don't think we are going anywhere this season due to our own sequestration issues.

Cloudland Canyon

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - PM me
Roy and Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS HOME SETUP ONLY
POPUP PHOTOs-Pg52

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/13 08:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just find a back road anywhere between Tennessee and Maine and just drive around a bit. Find a roadside pulloff and have a picnic. I hope the colors will be good everwhere. Go out to Claydale and sit on my daughters back porch. Bring you own food. Take a backpack and go out to Caledon. Watch for Eagles.

Noel and Betty Johnson
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife

DwnSth

SE Louisiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/13 09:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Will be there 2nd week of October also. Don't see the shut-down actually happening but I guess it would be a play it by ear kind of thing. Not sure what they will do when they have hundreds of campers sitting in the Sugarlands parking lot. Just like the sequester, impact the most visible places. Heck, I think the campgrounds, especially Elkmont pay for themselves pretty handily.

2012 Aerolite 212RBSL
2013 F150 Lariat EB S-Crew max tow HD payload
1996 Four Winns Horizon 190 (gotta have a boat down here)
old - 1995 Jayco 1007 pop-up (lost to a fallen branch)

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/13 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't know about NPS or Forest service, but for COE campgrounds, ALL the income goes directly to Washington, straight into political pockets. All the campgrounds get is whatever they can find left over in their division pockets. Some are being run by contract groups, most of them have a few dollars that can be used locally.

magnusfide

On the Road Again and Again and Again...

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/13 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Don't worry: suggestion to find a roadside park is good. Also State Parks in Ga, Tn & Nc are great options. If you want fall foliage GAs doesn't show much until last week of Oct.
Just do a search for "_______" state parks (insert state) and see what comes up.

First law of science: don't spit into the wind.
Keep on rollin'!
Magnus

path1

Wa State (wet side)

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/13 10:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

What's your thoughts on the issue (the effect of the shutdown and alternate plan-making, NOT the politics behind what caused the shutdown)? Anyone else's plans going to be affected?
When was the last time the Gov't did anything on a certain date without making a big deal out of it?. "They" (ie the big wheels or so they think) will extend and mess around so they can make the news etc..the issue can be beaten to death. You probably picked the best time to go.

D & M

Laurel, MD

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/13/13 11:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

melhow wrote:

I also don't want to drop a bunch more cash on second reservations just to be hit with a cancellation fee if nothing happens with the shutdown.

Does it really make a difference what we think? It's your tolerance for worry that you need to think about. Are you a gambler? If so, don't go somewhere else. If you can't stand the worry, by all means, make other plans.

It always seems that when there is a shutdown or sequestration, the whole idea is to punish as many American citizens as possible. The government won't shutdown the entitlements section. The checks will be mailed, the food stamps will be printed, and the cell phones will be handed out.

Dave
Mary, the world's best wife (1951-2009) R.I.P
Lizzy (a Boston)
Izzy, Pepper & BuddyP - Gone but not forgotten
2005 Itasca Suncruiser 35A

Dear McDonald's, Thank you for not selling hot dogs. I don't think I could order a McWiener and keep a straight face.

kohldad

Goose Creek, SC

View Profile

Posted: 09/13/13 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hopefully, they won't shut down, but having Plan B is a good idea.

Since you will be a couple weeks ahead of the colors, getting other sites last minute should not be an issue.

As mention, GA state parks in the mountains would be a good backup. In the GA/TN area is Cherokee NF. You can dispersed camp along gravel roads as long as you are 300' from the paved road and not blocking traffic. Since this does not allow upons services, you will still be able to do this.

There are also numerous commercial campgrounds which would not be bad option for backup plans.

Photo Albums
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB (On Order)
2004.5 Ram 3500 4x4 Quad-Cab SRW CTD 6-spd, XD9000 winch
2004 Lance 815
DW (homemaker), 1 DD w/BS in Civil Engineering (TDOT) and husband, 1 DD Clemson bound, 2 DFs (meow)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Federal Park Camping and Looming Government Shutdown
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS