|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Transitioning from Pop-Up to TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
des04004

Davis County, Utah

View Profile

Posted: 09/18/13 07:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upgrade could just simply mean newer. I am pretty sure this thread wasn't started to say "Hey, pop ups are worthless so this is why I got a travel trailer". Some people need to relax.

Congrats on the new trailer!

2008 Ford F-250 Larait V10
2011 Forest River Wildwood T27BHSS (sold)
2014 Jayco Jay Flight 32TSBH

drhuggybear

Cypress, Texas

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/19/13 09:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

beemerphile1 wrote:

gouldjl wrote:

popupcamping wrote:

UPGRADE??????

why do people think this?

OK, upsize? I love my Pup, and if it had ANY clothes storage and didn't have to be completely opened to load the fridge, I'd probably be keeping it.

Upgrade is a matter of opinion. As for setup, it takes less than 60 seconds to have my pup fully opened.

Enjoy your new RV.

I agree that calling it an upgrade is a matter of opinion. It's certainly easier for setup and in my opinion that is an upgrade. Anything that gets me relaxing sooner is an upgrade.

In looking at your pictures, your popup is an A-frame. 60 seconds is a bit fast, but maybe with A-Frames that is possible. Standard canvas PUP's can't be put up in 60 seconds. Too much moving from end to end to pull this out and unlatch that. Hopefully you have a mechanical lift system and not a crank system. Best I can see is 3-4 minutes if you have nothing else in the camper (boxes in the aisle, kitchens to lift, etc). With our PUP, I could do is 5 minutes again if the camper was empty. With my DW and 2 DD we had a lot of stuff. Typical time to closed in (bunk ends up, canvas locked down and the door on) was about 20 minutes.

The time to hook up water, etc is consistent for both so eliminating the "build" time is certainly an upgrade to my camping experience. I loved my PUP and it certainly was tough trading it in but to me, we did upgrade. We went from a 12' box of living space to 25. That is an upgrade. I am not bashing PUP's because we have a ton of happy memories in it.

Jeff, Leslie, Jillian and Layni
2007 Toyota Tundra 5.7L Crewmax
2013 Crossroads Z-1

popupcamping

Woodstock,N.B.

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/13 09:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

drhuggybear wrote:

beemerphile1 wrote:

gouldjl wrote:

popupcamping wrote:

UPGRADE??????

why do people think this?

OK, upsize? I love my Pup, and if it had ANY clothes storage and didn't have to be completely opened to load the fridge, I'd probably be keeping it.

Upgrade is a matter of opinion. As for setup, it takes less than 60 seconds to have my pup fully opened.

Enjoy your new RV.

I agree that calling it an upgrade is a matter of opinion. It's certainly easier for setup and in my opinion that is an upgrade. Anything that gets me relaxing sooner is an upgrade.

In looking at your pictures, your popup is an A-frame. 60 seconds is a bit fast, but maybe with A-Frames that is possible. Standard canvas PUP's can't be put up in 60 seconds. Too much moving from end to end to pull this out and unlatch that. Hopefully you have a mechanical lift system and not a crank system. Best I can see is 3-4 minutes if you have nothing else in the camper (boxes in the aisle, kitchens to lift, etc). With our PUP, I could do is 5 minutes again if the camper was empty. With my DW and 2 DD we had a lot of stuff. Typical time to closed in (bunk ends up, canvas locked down and the door on) was about 20 minutes.

The time to hook up water, etc is consistent for both so eliminating the "build" time is certainly an upgrade to my camping experience.

not to get OT but for the reason you have mentioned "easier and relaxing sooner" is why my pup is a benefit for me. While you are setting up the WDH, slowing on hills and stopping for fuel I will be set up with a lager in hand while you are navigating the CG looking for your site.

joking of course.

Doug33

Westampton, NJ

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/13 09:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We owned 3 PUs over a 14 year period before we went to a 24' TT. After 7 years of that, we went to a bigger 28' TT with a slide. The PUs were great and served us well when the kids were little. Before that, I always camped in tents. We got to a certain point where we wanted hard sides and A/C, and the biggest reason is to eliminate dealing with canvas. Inevitably when we camped it rained. I was tired of trying to try everything off before packing things up. I loved that fact that I could pull with a minivan and see over the top, but the advantages of the TT outweighed those, at least for us.

Welcome to the world of TT. It appears that we are nearby in NJ. If there is anything specific I can do to help once you get the TT, please let me know.

2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4 3.73 gear
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent RV'ing in 2013: 22
Next trip: April 2014
RV'ing since 1991, camping since 1961

ezmobee

York, PA

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/13 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Last time I checked this was the TT forum so I'm not really understanding all the PUP vitriol.

spike99 wrote:

- More Centre Support. Being a long 27ft TT), I'd highly recommend the purchase / install of scissor jacks within middle of frame rails. These scissor jacks remove floor "up and down" bounce by supporting (not lifting) some of the trailer weight (like the corner position jacks).

I like this idea spike. I'm on a seasonal site with a 30' and would definitely benefit from these.

spike99

North America

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/13 05:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Talk about mods and buying items during winter time, suggest other simple mods like:

- Roof Vent: Buy / install RV roof vents. The populate brand is MaxAir but in reality, most other clone brands will work. For example: - click here -
Note: Suggest installing white color over bathroom vent and black color over bedroom vents. Thus, allowing less light in the bedroom (to allow one to sleep in longer). To view black vent on my TT, surf: - click here -

- Battery Switch: Buy / install a manual battery switch (on TT's Tongue area) and install to allow only the chassis 12V power to be turned off. Emergency break-way switch remains direct on the battery (with no interrupted power flow). re: - click here -
Note: IMO, properly wired manual battery switch should be factory build.

- Tinted windows: If bright morning sun isn't your thing, buy / install tinted window film on the bedroom windows. Same dark limo film they install within vehicles. If this DIY task is outside your skills, then simply visit local auto design stores and ask for their prices. Then, ask if they sell gift certificates for same dollar amount. Gift Certificates (for do this later task) is a good Christmas present for the RV as well.

- LED light upgrade: If you do lots of "dry land" camping and worry about too much 12V power consumption, do investigate 12V LED lighting upgrade. In some cases, the factory light assembly's bulb is simply removed. Then, LED light is installed instead. Very simple out and in upgrade. Again, only do this upgrade if 12V consumption is a worry.

Hope these minor upgrade suggestions help as well…

* This post was edited 09/19/13 06:32pm by spike99 *

nomad84

homesite

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/13 08:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We did the same thing, only we bought our camper last week and drove it home. For one thing I can feel the difference in towing weight even though we upgraded to a 3/4 ton Dodge. We didn't have electric brakes in the pop up, so I really appreciated the upgrade to this. Other than that for now,I didn't see much difference in driving even though our travel trailer is 3 times longer than our pop up, just took a little extra precaution when I turned, but that was easy. Now backing up, well...I'm going to get some mirror extentions

Drum

NC

View Profile

Posted: 09/19/13 08:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's all relative and if it makes you happy then it's an upgrade. Some may consider moving from a large TT to a popup an upgrade. It's all in what makes you happy.

As for what to stock? Some of these have already been mentioned and I've added a few: Mattress topper, really good sewer hose, latex gloves (extra large with powder just to make it easy), something to pour in the waste tanks to keep the odor down, aftermarket bumper ends because the cheap factory ones will fall out on the highway, flashlights, outdoor rug, coffee maker, electric tongue jack if it doesn't already have it (believe me, worth every penny), and depending on where you camp, a Thermocell mosquito repellent.

Have fun!

Gary in Western NC

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Transitioning from Pop-Up to TT
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: