|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite/Campground Theft

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
ford truck guy

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 11:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

pwcdfrcamper wrote:

ford truck guy wrote:

I lock the Generator (If it is with me) and that's IT!!.. Well there was the one time in Myrtle Beach that I am assuming kids took my beer... That stays in the fridge that locks in the compartment now...

Sorry my bad!! Next time pack the good stuff none of this light beer stuff! ha

Ha ha .. Now because of you,,, you will have to bring your 651 key to get them !

Me-Her-the kids
2015 Ford F350 SD 6.7
08 Montego Bay
Here are my pictures

mlts22

Austin, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 09/21/13 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just reading this forum, where I read about most CG thefts tend to be the storage lots. Of course, there are stories about the big boondocking areas having their scavengers. I use a tier system for security:

1: The stuff I expect to vanish. Some bottled water, Gatorade, Guinness, Shiner Bock, or Monster energy drinks vanish out of my cooler, that's life.

2: Stuff that if it vanishes, I won't be out of joint. Cheap camp chairs, or my $3.00 Styrofoam coolers.

3: Stuff that is inexpensive, but annoying to replace. My camping table and my good cooler with a Kensington lock slot superglued on it get chained down. The Kensington locks can be cut off pretty easily, but it keeps the opportunists at bay. This also helps should a bad gust of wind come, because I either can retrieve the object, or at least most of it and not have it sail into someone else's site.

4: Stuff in the category of too cheap to insure but expensive. My macerator pump get placed in an airtight tub (to keep its d├ębardeur noir odeur fresh), then tossed under one of the dinette seats and further secured.

5: Stuff that is insured. The generator gets chained up via multiple attachment points (not just the handles.)

6: Stuff that I bring, is insured, but I really don't want to vanish. My laptop or iPad for example. These items are stored in a strongbox bolted down to my pickup truck's frame. That way, the items could be obtained, but it will take some power tool work to accomplish the task.

HJGyswyt

Buckley Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/13 08:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

dennislanier wrote:

These facilities have a gate which is locked at night until early morning.

And just in case anyone new to camping reads this, you are not actually locked in at night, it is against the law to place a lock on a gate to Public/Private facility where you are on the inside. The gate may be shut, but it's not locked. Law Enforcement, Fire and Emergency must have access and in case of a personal reason you can leave at any time, just be nice and close the gate after you pass.

wannavolunteerFT

South Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/13 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Actually HJGyswyt, most of the parks in this area do lock their gates at night. they have coded locks on entry gates, and auto-open exit gates. When you check in, you are give the entry code for the gate

Emergency personnel have some type of remote that opens electronic locks.. Learned about the remotes for emergency vehicles, when my brother lived in gated condo complex.

HJGyswyt

Buckley Washington

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/13 09:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

wannavolunteerFT wrote:

Actually HJGyswyt, most of the parks in this area do lock their gates at night. they have coded locks on entry gates, and auto-open exit gates. When you check in, you are give the entry code for the gate

True, but my point was I didn't want anyone to think they were held captive inside a campground. And I was thinking more about State, Corps of Engineer, County and City parks, not private gated RV resorts which we also enjoy from time to time, though we primarily frequent State Parks. Anyone can leave at any time, for what ever reason, and if you find you can't, that would not be a good thing. Hans

dennislanier

Northeast Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/13 09:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

HJGyswyt wrote:

dennislanier wrote:

These facilities have a gate which is locked at night until early morning.

And just in case anyone new to camping reads this, you are not actually locked in at night, it is against the law to place a lock on a gate to Public/Private facility where you are on the inside. The gate may be shut, but it's not locked. Law Enforcement, Fire and Emergency must have access and in case of a personal reason you can leave at any time, just be nice and close the gate after you pass.

I stand corrected. Sorry for the mis-information.

Merrykalia

Appalachian (apple at chun) Mountains in SW VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/22/13 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hunting Island State park in SC does lock their locks and in order to get out, you must have the code. It changes daily and YOU are responsible for going by and getting the code, if you think you may need it.

That said, there is a ranger on duty throughout the night that can get you out if you need to get out, but not in.

The Texan

Wellton, AZ

View Profile

Posted: 09/22/13 05:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Merrykalia wrote:

Hunting Island State park in SC does lock their locks and in order to get out, you must have the code. It changes daily and YOU are responsible for going by and getting the code, if you think you may need it.

That said, there is a ranger on duty throughout the night that can get you out if you need to get out, but not in.
Believe me, there are others just like this park. I know this for a fact, as we have worked in several that LOCKED the gate at night and you had to have a code to get out.......

Bob & Betsy(FishNFanatic) - USN Aviation Ret'd '78 & LEO Ret'd '03 & "Oath Keeper Forever"
'05 HR Endeavor 40PRQ, 400 Cummins-Pulling our '11 Silverado LT, Ex Cab 6.2L NHT 4x4, w/ the Rzr or ACE or a Quad riding in back.
Where the wheels are stopped today

mr. ed

Madison, SD (but usually elsewhere)

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/13 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only items I leave outside are folding chairs and my bicycle, whixh I keep under the fifth wheel overhang, chained to one of the landing jacks. There's no sense in tempting an otherwise honest person by leaving something of value unsecured and in view.

Mr. Ed (fulltiming since 1987)

2007 Hitchhiker II LS Model 29.5 LKTG
2007 Dodge Ram 3500/6.7 CTD/QC/4X4/SB/SRW/6-speed man/Big Horn edition

Oaklevel

MidAlantic

View Profile

Posted: 09/24/13 06:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Camping for almost 30 years have had nothing stolen (yet)..... rarely lock door figure our Boxers have a better chance of getting away if a fire etc.

#3 Master locks can be easily picked, most side storage compartments in trailers are #751 keys...... most Easygo golf carts & Club Cars take the same key for each brand.......... LOL locks are for honest people..................

We really don't carry much that is worth stealing..............

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 11  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Campsite/Campground Theft
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS