|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Ice/Snow on roof at departure time

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
tatest

Oklahoma Green Country

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 04:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

golfknut wrote:

We will be towing our car......Has anyone ever had any damage done to their toad from snow/ice coming off their rig while towing?

That changes the picture, doesn't it. Depends on how thick the ice gets from freeze thaw, and sizes of chunks as it breaks up. Five to ten pound chunk inch or mor thick is going to do some damage, scratches and dents at least, if not enough speed differential to break a windshield. Towed vehicle, ice is going to hit it, rather than the pavement.

Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

ScottnSherrie

Augusta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 06:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scrolled through the posts so sorry if I missed this suggestion. Get a tarp (or two spliced together) and cover the roof if the forecast calls for snow. Be sure to have several ropes tied to the eyelets. Before you leave, pull off the snow and ice laden tarp.

88 Gulf Stream 34' Sun Vista, Ford 460, Edelbrock Perfomer carb, Thorley headers
Ford F-250 crew cab 4X4, 6.0 turbo diesel
complete roof rebuild
daughter 19, son 16
US Army Desert Storm vets (both of us)
left: The Ol' Gal right: DW with White Lightnin'

SkiingSixPack

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottnSherrie wrote:

Scrolled through the posts so sorry if I missed this suggestion. Get a tarp (or two spliced together) and cover the roof if the forecast calls for snow. Be sure to have several ropes tied to the eyelets. Before you leave, pull off the snow and ice laden tarp.

I would not do this, no offense meant. This would be very likely to cause damage ...

I drive our motor home to and from skiing areas all winter and in most circumstances, there is not a problem. Semi drivers do not seem to climb up to get rid of the snow. Just part of driving in the winter... IMHO
IMHO

My better half
DS-15,DD-14,DS-12,DS-12
Summit Red Sunshine-1
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

ScottnSherrie

Augusta, GA

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No offense taken. Living in the land of one measurable snow every five years I have limited knowledge of how best to deal with snow.

trigley

Central Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

golfknut wrote:

We are taking our first snowbird trip this winter with a planned departure date of late December.

I was wondering how much roof melt-off of ice and snow there would be if I turned on the furnace and let the inside temperature get up into the 60's or so? Would there be any melting of roof snow at that temp?

We don't tow but sometimes use our unit for 4 or 5 days with snow cover. The snow does melt somewhat but does not disappear in that time frame. Exterior temperature would have a bearing.

I would be concerned heating the unit could create more ice if the temperature is below freezing when you do leave.

smkettner

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/03/13 09:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I thought some truck washes would de-ice the roof. Call around.
Otherwise I would melt it off with water if legally required.

I have had plenty of snow and ice build up while the trailer is in use and heated to 65-75. Used warm water to clear the slide. Roof melted on the road.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

roscoe

Priveledged resident of the gorgeous hudson valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/03/13 10:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always have the wife or MIL climb up and clean the ice or leaves off the roof. Just remind them to be careful.

SGTJOE

Utah

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/13 12:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some of that "snow" can melt and build up some pretty thick heavy pieces of ice. I took my MH to a local truck stop that has a wash rack to clear the snow & ice. I'm sure in your area there is a truck wash that would do it. Better safe then sorry. Blowing snow isn't bad, but thick ice can penetrate a windshield at 55mph plus. You'll find that most States can and will ticket for this type of hazard. The fine may not be much, but how would you feel about causing a serious accident where someone could lose their life.

2001 Trade Winds 7390
Toad 03 Grand Am

almcc

Ontario, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/13 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I had a similar problem a couple of years ago - I left the slides out and it snowed. I ran the furnace and the snow melted a bit then turned to ice over the next night (insulation was too good!). I ended up running a hose from a hot water connection and using the hot water nozzle to melt the snow/ice, waited for some of the water to run off, then closed the slides before the water froze again.

It should work on a roof as well. Maybe you could try a pressure washer with hot water (and a "gentle" nozzle), might work quicker. For those of you in the north, don't forget to winterize the pressure washer after (don't ask me how I know!).

Dave Pete

Wyoming

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/04/13 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My experiences. Had a 3/4 ton truck with 8' pop up camper (now have a travel trailer). I live in Wyoming (and for three years in Fairbanks, AK).

In Wyoming usually the wind blows and where I parked/stored the camper the snow didn't stay long after a storm so not really an issue (excess weight etc.). But when on the truck and a Spring storm dropped heavy wet snow that didn't want to melt fast or blow off, it was a problem. Weight (very heavy snow) caused noticeable high-center of gravity. I didn't like that, or the concern of leaking from puddling under the snow. Carefully used a push broom from a step ladder alongside the camper. Helped some, but it was really stuck on (hydrostatic adhesion). But getting some off helped the weight issue. No damage that time.

Next in Fairbanks. The snow doesn't melt all winter. Maybe three feet high by spring. By spring I'm concerned about weight. Used broom and plastic snow shovel, gently! My roof was obstruction free except one vent cover. I knew about the cover, and exactly where it was. I clipped it both times (each spring) and had to replace it both times.

1968 Travel Queen 8' TC (currently under resto-mod)
2006 Dodge Ram 2500 diesel
2013 Komfort 2410RK TT

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Snowbirds

> Ice/Snow on roof at departure time
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Snowbirds

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: