|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ike Gauntlet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Taco

VA

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 07:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

According to this site it struggled it lost speed and downshifted which the people on this site identify as the hallmark of a truck struggling on a grade.

Also it is a diesel and didn't go 65 mph up it in overdrive, I have been told over and over on this site that a diesel truck will go 65 up any hill in overdrive with the cruise on.

As far as the driver not knowing the truck, he held it to the floor the whole way, you would hope that the automatic transmission should be smart enough to know the driver wanted max effort.

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 08:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Taco wrote:

As far as the driver not knowing the truck, he held it to the floor the whole way, you would hope that the automatic transmission should be smart enough to know the driver wanted max effort.

That is REALLY BAD ASSUMPTION ... Programmed shift strategies are not designed to stay in gear up to basically the redline for power, but to shift for MPG reasons. When pulling a really hard grade I will get into direct and push this puppy up to 3K and keep it there if possible. I will never see 3K in any gear except OD and going way too fast to be towing regardless of grade.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 11:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

Taco wrote:

That is REALLY BAD ASSUMPTION ... Programmed shift strategies are not designed to stay in gear up to basically the redline for power, but to shift for MPG reasons. When pulling a really hard grade I will get into direct and push this puppy up to 3K and keep it there if possible. I will never see 3K in any gear except OD and going way too fast to be towing regardless of grade.

Larry

There is no programed shift strategies at WOT. That is why engines go into open loop at WOT. AT WOT it's all about power and engine and shift strategies are programed as such.

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

FishOnOne

Katy

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 12:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's the video of a RAM pulling up the Ike Gauntlet at a little over 50% of it's towing capacity and the F150 Eco Boost pulling up the Ike Gauntlet at a little over 100% of it's towing capacity.

RAM '13

F150 Eco Boost

Overall it appears the Ford Eco Boost is a strong performer with pulling at 100% of it's towing capacity while the 6.7 Cummins performance was less than spectacular!

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD "Built Ford Tough"
'06 Holiday Rambler 31SKD

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

FishOnOne wrote:

Here's the video of a RAM pulling up the Ike Gauntlet at a little over 50% of it's towing capacity and the F150 Eco Boost pulling up the Ike Gauntlet at a little over 100% of it's towing capacity.

RAM '13

F150 Eco Boost

Overall it appears the Ford Eco Boost is a strong performer with pulling at 100% of it's towing capacity while the 6.7 Cummins performance was less than spectacular!

ROTFLMAO, well I hope so! At a third of the load and almost the same HP it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out who is going to be faster up the hill!

I saw a 600 HP class 8 Pete struggle up a hill the other day because he was down to less than 30 MPH.

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/13 03:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

So - what, where is this so-called gauntlet??

crabbin cabin

on the road

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/13 03:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

crabbin cabin wrote:

So - what, where is this so-called gauntlet??

OK - just watched the video! Wrong, wrong going from Silverthorne CO(my former home for 13+ years), in Summit county, eastbound on I 70 you approach and go thru' the Johnson Tunnel!!
The Eisenhower Tunnel is westbound only and was completed several years before the Johnson!

EcoBullet

SE Oklahoma

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/13 03:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When I clicked on FishOnOne's F150 Eco Boost link, my computer shutdown. Something's fishy.

Me '54, DW '54, DGK '03, '05, '08 & their 3 Chihuahua puppy amigos '14
2014 Keystone Bullet Premier 22RBPR
2013 F-150 XLT Supercrew 4X4 Ecoboost Max Tow
2014: 7K miles towed, 58 nights camped, 16 states visited

john&bet

North Vernon,in.

View Profile

Posted: 11/17/13 04:39pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If your talking about the I-70 Ike, I had no problem with it with my rig a few years ago. It down shifted like it should, I forget the exact mph and rpm now, but I passed an older Chevy 3+3 crew cab with a slide in camper and a small tow behind trailer. I assume it had 454 gasser so not surprised. Tranny didn't get hot nor did the engine. I was right at 19,700# combined weight. I am a happy RVer.

2004.5 Dodge 2500ctd Quadcab. Lariamie, 3.73, auto. pure stock
2005 Montana 2955 5er

skyhammer

NW CA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/17/13 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Dodge sounds loud and I am surprised that it doesn't have a gear indicator.

2011 Host Everest, 11.5',triple slide.
2011 F-350,DRW,CC,LWB,4X4,6.7

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Ike Gauntlet
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size: