RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Heartland rigs

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Heartland rigs

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
kakampers

Fulltimer

Senior Member

Joined: 04/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/06/14 09:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cummins12V98 wrote:

kakampers wrote:

ricatic wrote:

justme wrote:

Gawd the Heartland owners can get excited and boarder on insane if anyone does not bow to them. Heartland is not a bad company-- they are no better or worse than other reputable manufacturers. Again the Landmark is an optioned up Big Horn and are simply a mid-level trailer. I provided some specifics as to why I choose a Redwood and not a Landmark and now I get attacked for not being factual. I find that offensive and humorous at the same time. BTY I can find as many people who like Redwood, Montana, Cedar Creek, DRV and etc as I can who like Heartland. And I can find folks who don't like them as well. So what does it all mean-- don't be fooled and do your own investigation and really look with a critical eye at the RV shows or dealers.


...maybe it is the tone of your postings...you were called out because your commentary regarding empirically verifiable specifications were so far from fact.

Your opinion of the level of manufacturing that Heartland holds is an "opinion" and is yours to hold. The other stuff you quoted as facts need documentation provided by you if you wish for them to stand...


I hope you noticed that Don gave you the benefit of the doubt...
Regards


Also has to do with your lack of real facts...in your original post you stated Heartland uses "particle board"...SOO NOT TRUE!

Heartland uses Weyerhauser OSB (oriented strand board) which is used in many stick built homes in place of plywood, as it is extremely water resistent. If you did some real research you would know there is a major difference between the two!!


OSB is not in the same category as plywood. It is used on basic homes. Quality homes use plywood.

Leave a piece of OSB and Plywood in water overnight and see what they look like in the morning.


I did not compare it to plywood...I was describing the difference between OSB and particle board. I place good OSB, like the Weyerhauser brand, between the two...and particle board isn't even considered in any home to my knowledge.

We had a flood in a mobile home that used good OSB sub flooring...the water heater burst one night and pumped water onto the floor all night long. We peeled back the carpeting and dried the sub floor...did not swell at all. OSB is a good alternative to the more expensive marine plywood..IMHO.


2013 Heartland Landmark Key Largo with Mor Ryde IS and disc brakes
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500 DRW Crew Cab Duramax Diesel

justme

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/14 10:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hey kakamper I wasn't trying start a war-- as Joe Friday of Dragnet says--
"just the facts."

While you are posting you avid defense of Heartland why don't you inform us of why. Could it be you either are or have been a "Heartland Ambassador." I see nothing wrong with my tone unless facts hurt.

larry barnhart

wenatchee. wa usa

Senior Member

Joined: 03/30/2001

View Profile





Online
Posted: 01/06/14 10:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Structural 1 used for floors in many custom homes that I have worked on was tongue and groove but not plywood and they were wet many times without a problem.

chevman


chevman
2001 35 ft avalon alpenlite RK
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy
easyrider/reese airhitch
trailair center point suspension
JT Strong Arm Stabilizers
KSH 55 inbed fuel tank
Garmin 2720
scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors


thomasmnile

Deltona, Fl.

Senior Member

Joined: 05/14/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/06/14 10:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"Heartland uses Weyerhauser OSB (oriented strand board) which is used in many stick built homes in place of plywood, as it is extremely water resistent. If you did some real research you would know there is a major difference between the two!!"

Weyerhauser markets the product under the name of "Structure-Wood" IIRC. NuWa used it in their floor assemblies and it was some sturdy stuff.

kakampers

Fulltimer

Senior Member

Joined: 04/02/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/06/14 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

justme wrote:

Hey kakamper I wasn't trying start a war-- as Joe Friday of Dragnet says--
"just the facts."

While you are posting you avid defense of Heartland why don't you inform us of why. Could it be you either are or have been a "Heartland Ambassador." I see nothing wrong with my tone unless facts hurt.


Yes I was...but what about all the others on here with similar opinions?? They weren't!

Facts?? Think not, most of your comments were proven wrong, not only by me but others as well...

rtate

san marcos Tx

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2004

View Profile



Posted: 01/06/14 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I own a 2009 Bighorn that I bought used about two years ago. Prior to that I owned an Artic Fox, a Jayco and a Casita. None of these were trouble free. All require maintenance. The Big Horn has been the most trouble free, but the most agrivating thing is the decals, partictlarly the ones that say"Bighorn" or"Heartland". They tend to peel or curl up at the edges. I have either deleted or replaced several. You would think they would spend a few bucks more to get quality vinyl decals. I know becauseI have owned many boats in the salt air and heat of texas and never had a decal peel on them.

Another improvement that should be made is better access to the working guts of the trailer. Wiring, plumbing , heat, hw heater etc. I do all of my own work , so this is important to me. All in all I love the trailer and would recommend it to anyone. Try to stay away from the dealers on repairs and maintenance and you will be much happier.


2014 Ram CTD 4x2 SRW 3.42 68 RE auto trans
Big Horn 3055RL

Restless

San Marcos Tx

Travlingman

Bluff City, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 01/06/14 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We are very pleased with our new Landmark Savannah. Compared all of the rigs, Redwood, DRV, Excel, Cedar Creek, Trilogy, Montana Big Skyand and picked the Landmark.

Some of the reasons in no order were LED lighting inside, got the Yeti package for heated tanks and water line, real wood facia on the slides, got the residential fridge, inverter standard not an option, 22 foot with 2 doors verses 18 or 19 in some others. Also liked the twin 15K air conditioners, quiet and fully ducted verses 1 ducted and the other being a 13.5 with chill grill in some of the others. Samsung smart LED tv's, not LCD's along with a sound bar in front living area and not the cheap overhead speakers. Gives a very good sound. Got dual pane frameless windows on all windows and not just a few as some manufactures do. MCD shades are great compared to the day/night ones. We got the theater seating and it is great. New rigs the seating is electric. Bedroom television is 32" verses 26" in most rigs, along with a built in DVD player.

On the outside the awnings are metal wrapped standard, not option. Also come with a LED light, again standard and like that the light is on the rig under the awning and not on the roller part of awning. This way the light is behind you when setting out, not in your eyes. Also, light can be used when awning rolled up which is nice. Liked that the outside entertainment option was in the slide door and not the underbelly compartment. Again, Samsung LED outside also. With full body paint you get a TPO roof which I wanted verses a EPDM. Correct track suspension is standard, don't remember seeing on others.

The LCI remote is very nice. Can stand with all the slides while they go in/out and watch them, along with front awning and front landing gear. Has the level up system and I haven't saw another manufacturer that has a seperate switch in the front of rig to raise/lower landing gear instead of having to use main controller. Liked the hydraulic back slides and cable front verses the Schwintek system.

Has block insulation which I prefer to batten as I have read of the batten falling down after use and road vibration. Rig is insulated well as we have been under freezing and stayed very warm without the furnace running continuously.

On delivery of rig, only had a few scratches on wood to fix and no other issues. So far very pleased and really like the floor plan.


2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/14 11:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

larry barnhart wrote:

Structural 1 used for floors in many custom homes that I have worked on was tongue and groove but not plywood and they were wet many times without a problem.

chevman


I have done the same in NW WA and the edges were all swollen and had to be ground down for flooring.


2011 Ram Laramie Longhorn 3500 Dually Long Bed, Cummins 350/800 HO, Towin Machine
B&W Companion Hitch, Maghytec Trans and Rear Dif Covers, AMZ/OIL Top To Bottom
2007 1/2 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 27,000# Combined

ricatic

Home

Senior Member

Joined: 06/25/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/14 12:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

...You miss the point. In your rush to bash Heartland and give your best Redwood pitch, you made some declarations that you infer as facts that have been resoundingly disputed as falsehoods...or bad information received by you and subsequently passed on by you as fact...

Your point that KaKampers was a Heartland ambassador is feckless...there are many others, me included, that have relayed their personal experiences with Heartland and their various brands. A few have had issues that remained unresolved for whatever reasons but there are multitudes of other Heartland customers who have been well taken care of by the company.

Your "facts" have been challenged...how about defending your position instead of debasing the other posters...

Regards


Ricatic
Debbie and Savannah the Wonderdachsund
2009 Big Horn 3055RL
2006 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 Dually LTX with the Gold Standard LBZ Engine and Allison Transmission
2011 F350 Lariat SRW CC SB 4WD 6.7 Diesel POS Gone Bye Bye

justme

USA

Senior Member

Joined: 04/27/2002

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 01/06/14 12:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well looks like the Heartland crowd is in force. I still stand behind my comments--- sorry about that. I was not bashing Heartland but it seems the owners think I was-- so beit. If you like your 5th wheel then great.
Oh I double checked my facts and guess what I was not wrong. The roof is like I said and have the Heartland drawing proving it(it is copy righted so I cant provide it on line). If any one wants it I can supply in PDF format. Also marine grade plywood is much better that particle board if one gets a plumbing leak in the basement. Not to mention a stronger roof for mounting satellite dish and so-forth. Also the frame is speced out by Redwood and is sturdier than the one Heartland uses. Here is a link to Redwood describing how it is built-- http://www.redwood-rv.com/construction Heartland does not seem to publish much on how they are built. If someone could supply a link it would be helpful.
Providing facts is not bashing-- however attacking the messenger is not mature and very defensive.

* This post was edited 01/06/14 01:35pm by justme *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

 > Heartland rigs
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS