|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ford 4x4 2002 explorer will not go into 4 wheel drive

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
jackwmssr

Blue Springs Mo. USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/14 03:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think I need the help of a Ford mechanic. My 2002 ford explorer 4.0 v6 automatic will not shift into any 4x4 positions. I have checked all the fuses that I can find, 1 under the dash and 2 under the hood. It does not make any sounds at all when I push the 4x4 buttons. It did not make any strange sounds the last I used it a few weeks ago. I have tried it moving and sitting still, in neutral with the brake on. I have had it since new and used it every winter so I am sure it is not operator error. It has 99000 miles on it. Now for a little recent history. I had the cables disconnected to clean the post 3 weeks ago. Two days later I used a homeowner style alternator tester to check the alternator (good). I jumped the MH last week to start it, all of these since the last time used the 4x4. While doing the above I never did hook any thing up wrong. THE FORECAST IS CALLING FOR SNOW tonight 7 to 9 inches. I would be very thankful if some one can help me with this.

Jackwmssr
2000 Georgie Boy,Cruise Air
2002 Explorer toad

TNRIVERSIDE

East Tennessee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/14 03:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Looks like you have tried the most likely. I have had a Ford that had the shift linkage that got out of adjustment and the 4X4 would not sift. I found that if I positioned the shift leaver a little off neutral but not fully into D or R it would shift. Its worth a try. Good luck.

2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

dlk

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/14 03:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First off is it the shift on the fly 4x4, if it is you can try this, don't ask me how I know. On the transfer case, drivers side is an electronic servo motor that shifts the unit from 4 hi or low, mine used to not work at times, I took a rubber mallet and gave it a couple of whacks and guess what it worked again, your out nothing but a few minutes of time to see if it works.

Dan & Pam UP of Michigan
F 350 Fx4 Keystone Sprinter

Turbo Diesel Dude

Ocala,Fl

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/03/14 03:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd go with dlk. Quite possibly the shaft on the electric servo motor may be frozen/rusty or a wire is broken.

charles weidman

Sloop Smitten

San Marcos, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/14 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Dan indicated is a well known problem with the transfer case shift servo. It rotates to the end of play where they installed nylon bushings that get crushed over time. When that happens the servo loses its place and you have to remove it and reposition the internal components. If you do a search on any of the online Explorer forums they have it pretty well documented. I had to do it on my old Explorer as well. You might check the plug at the servo as well and make sure it has not been damaged or disconnected.

1992 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye 24' M/H
Ford E350 Chassis, 7.5L Engine, E40D Transmission
My other motorhome is a 1978 Catalina 25 Sailboat
Cruising Califonia, Sailing the Pacific!

nettech207

kennewick, wa

View Profile

Posted: 02/03/14 06:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

you might have a clog vacuum line ford shift on the fly used vacuum hoses to switch between 2 and 2 wheel drive, or the electronic shift module could be bad. I would bring it to a ford guy he should be able to pinpoint the problem pretty quickly

MEXICOWANDERER

las peƱas, michoacan, mexico

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/14 11:55am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sloop Smitten wrote:

What Dan indicated is a well known problem with the transfer case shift servo. It rotates to the end of play where they installed nylon bushings that get crushed over time. When that happens the servo loses its place and you have to remove it and reposition the internal components. If you do a search on any of the online Explorer forums they have it pretty well documented. I had to do it on my old Explorer as well. You might check the plug at the servo as well and make sure it has not been damaged or disconnected.

Kudos for a IMHO a 5-Star response.

Sloop Smitten

San Marcos, CA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/14 02:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks Mex!

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/14 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My '06 Ranger had the same problem. Ford replaced some motor under warranty and that fixed it. I have no idea where the motor is, probably the same motor dlk mentioned.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Okie1

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 02/04/14 03:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Same here, It seems like the key is to put it in four wheel drive every couple of weeks to keep everything free. A slight tap has worked for me several times....
dlk wrote:

First off is it the shift on the fly 4x4, if it is you can try this, don't ask me how I know. On the transfer case, drivers side is an electronic servo motor that shifts the unit from 4 hi or low, mine used to not work at times, I took a rubber mallet and gave it a couple of whacks and guess what it worked again, your out nothing but a few minutes of time to see if it works.

1997 F-250 Powerstroke Extended Cab 4X4 & 2012 Sabre 34RLQS...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tech Issues

> Ford 4x4 2002 explorer will not go into 4 wheel drive
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tech Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2014 RV.Net | Terms & Conditions | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS