RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Big Three road tests

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Big Three road tests

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
BlackSilver

East of Heaven, North of Hell

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/31/14 01:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Found this review on line, of the three heavy duty pickups.


Hans, KØHB & Colleen, KØCKB
Master Chief Radioman, US Navy
-
Prairie Schooner 34FBR Platinum XL Camping Trailer
3500HD Silverado Big Dooley LTZ Go-power by Max & Allie


My rig (Click)



ib516

Way up north eh

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/14 01:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thanks!


Prev: 2010 Cougar 322QBS (junk)
01 Dodge 2500 4x4 360 Gas 4.10 Auto
02 Dodge 2500 4x4 5.9L CTD 3.55 Auto
07 Dodge 3500 4x4 SRW Mega 5.9L CTD 3.73 Auto
14 Ram 2500 4x4 Crew 6.4L Hemi 4.10 Auto
All above are sold
Current: 2006 Pontiac Torrent and a 2010 Jayco 17z


buddyIam

Erie Trip from Hobohemia - Big Rock Candy Mountain

Senior Member

Joined: 10/25/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/14 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Something seems amiss. First the fact that there was a quarter mile test. And then looking at the results, the two with the highest power ratings score near equal times. Yet the Lowest rated truck bests the other two by 3/4 second empty and .9 seconds loaded

They seem to say it was the Alison that was the difference. I just don't accept that unless the Alison had a much lower 1st gear. If that is the case/ does the GM fall flat on it's face in a 30 to 70 MPH test.

I would accept the 30 to 70 mph test as a test experienced by most people that tow.

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 10/31/14 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

buddyIam wrote:

Something seems amiss. First the fact that there was a quarter mile test. And then looking at the results, the two with the highest power ratings score near equal times. Yet the Lowest rated truck bests the other two by 3/4 second empty and .9 seconds loaded

They seem to say it was the Alison that was the difference. I just don't accept that unless the Alison had a much lower 1st gear. If that is the case/ does the GM fall flat on it's face in a 30 to 70 MPH test.

I would accept the 30 to 70 mph test as a test experienced by most people that tow.


Hu?? [emoticon]

Since when does Ram have more power then GM?
GM makes 397 HP and Ram makes 370 HP.

And before anybody starts; torque is not horsepower and never will be.
As far as Fords HP numbers; test after test has shown they are cheating like %@%*(*@!!!!


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


mich800

Pontiac, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 05/30/2004

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/14 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

buddyIam wrote:

Something seems amiss. First the fact that there was a quarter mile test. And then looking at the results, the two with the highest power ratings score near equal times. Yet the Lowest rated truck bests the other two by 3/4 second empty and .9 seconds loaded

They seem to say it was the Alison that was the difference. I just don't accept that unless the Alison had a much lower 1st gear. If that is the case/ does the GM fall flat on it's face in a 30 to 70 MPH test.

I would accept the 30 to 70 mph test as a test experienced by most people that tow.


Hu?? [emoticon]

Since when does Ram have more power then GM?
GM makes 397 HP and Ram makes 370 HP.

And before anybody starts; torque is not horsepower and never will be.
As far as Fords HP numbers; test after test has shown they are cheating like %@%*(*@!!!!


Plus you cannot take HP out of context or look it as the only variable. Vehicle weight, gearing, traction, etc all play vital rolls in a drag race.

BlackSilver

East of Heaven, North of Hell

Senior Member

Joined: 12/18/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/31/14 03:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wow! You guys act like somebody called your sister a hooker.

They're just stupid trucks, not a religion!

Sorry I posted the link.

DirtyOil

Alberta

Senior Member

Joined: 07/04/2010

View Profile


Online
Posted: 10/31/14 03:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

Wow! You guys act like somebody called your sister a hooker.

They're just stupid trucks, not a religion!

Sorry I posted the link.




No kidding!!!


2013 RAM 3500 CTD Crew 4x4 Laramie
2014 Sprinter Copper Canyon 269FWRLS

GUTS GLORY RAM

ib516

Way up north eh

Senior Member

Joined: 04/18/2003

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/14 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

buddyIam wrote:

Something seems amiss. First the fact that there was a quarter mile test. And then looking at the results, the two with the highest power ratings score near equal times. Yet the Lowest rated truck bests the other two by 3/4 second empty and .9 seconds loaded

They seem to say it was the Alison that was the difference. I just don't accept that unless the Alison had a much lower 1st gear. If that is the case/ does the GM fall flat on it's face in a 30 to 70 MPH test.

I would accept the 30 to 70 mph test as a test experienced by most people that tow.


Hu?? [emoticon]

Since when does Ram have more power then GM?
GM makes 397 HP and Ram makes 370 HP.

And before anybody starts; torque is not horsepower and never will be.
As far as Fords HP numbers; test after test has shown they are cheating like %@%*(*@!!!!

Not that it matters much, but they have the numbers wrong for the RAM.

It was either 385hp/850tq (not 370hp), or it was 385hp/865tq (if it was a 2015), or it was 370hp/800tq (if it had the 68RFE). They list 370hp/850tq which isn't ones of the choices you get in the 6.7L Cummins.

buddyIam

Erie Trip from Hobohemia - Big Rock Candy Mountain

Senior Member

Joined: 10/25/2002

View Profile



Posted: 10/31/14 04:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mich

Now before anybody says anything. Please read up on how HP is measured. O, NO, I forgot, you can't measure HP. It is the function of Torque

HP=RPM*torque/5252. This is a figure that actually was picked, nothing scientific about it at all.. Not like torque which can be measured on a dyno.

HP is supposed to measure work over time. But it could just as easily been called ox power. The term horse power was chosen as a sales pitch to sell the steam engine.

If you have '0' torque you have '0' HP. You can't have 1 HP and '0' torque. But you can have 1 Ft lb of torque and 0 HP

The DMAX has 397 HP. 765 of torque.

Dodge Cummins 385 HP 865 of torque.

Even if it is the 370/850 the figures stink. And it would be the lower quality transmission than the 385/865

The DMAX comes as 260hp/525 torque. Should they have chosen it to run against the 385/865 ram. That wouldn't be quality reporting would it.

(You can still get the small DMAX in the vans.)

The difference in HP could be the result of higher RPM of a very small amount.

Now if the Alison first gear was very low compared to the Ford and Ram. The DMAX would create a great deal of torque in first gear that might lead to a initial lead that might be insurmountable within a 1/4 mile.

I'll say it a different way. Something stinks.

Either the tests are faulty.
The Dmax is under rated.
The Ford and Ram are over rated.

None of the 3 above have anything to do with my sisters or hookers.

It appears the customer is being deceived in some form. That is what concerns me.

* This post was edited 10/31/14 04:53pm by buddyIam *

NC Hauler

Pence Springs WV

Senior Member

Joined: 05/20/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 10/31/14 04:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Aw shucks...my truck came in 3rd...Does all I ask it to do so reckon I'll keep it[emoticon]


Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Big Three road tests
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS