|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Feedback on company called by Good Sam

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
GlennLever

Rochester, New York USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/14 03:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remember as you read this I am not posting opinions, just supplying information / feedback on the support I received from the company Good Sam Roadside Assistance called. Hoping Good Sam will use the feedback as input to the value supplied by the company.

The company called was Orlando Low Cost Truck Repair.

Good Sam stated they would be on site within 45 minutes which they were.

Two guys showed up, one guy never left the seat of the pickup truck he arrived in. The second guy did the first guys bidding.

The call was for a no start. When the key was turned the engine would not crank. Everything else seemed to work fine.

All the batteries, chassis and coach, had been replaced within the year. All connections were clean, dry, and tight. The generator would crank which was a good indication that the batteries were charged. The batteries were tested with a nice Snap-On battery tester. For more details see this.

The coach would crank if 12 volts was supplied to the starter relay, and run as it should.

I have all the manuals for this coach which included the starting circuit wiring diagram.

[image]

They zeroed in on the battery control box in the electronics compartment. There are three relays in that box and all tested good.

I was convinced that these relays were not the secondary starter relay on the wiring diagram. I was correct, read on.

After five hours of searching they were not able to locate the secondary starter relay. They repeatedly stated they hardly ever worked on RVs and that they generally only worked on trucks.

I instructed them to install a switched 12 volt power supply to the starter relay as a work around so that we could get down the road.

They left for supplies and returned an hour later (with lunch for themselves) and supplies (the city of Apopka was five minutes away, we were in the KOA Orange Blossom Apopka, Fl)

[image]

They supplied a inline fuse, a key switch, ten feet of 14 gauge wire, wire eyelets for connections, and some wire loom to protect the wire. The fuse was connected to the power supply at the fuse block, one hole was drilled to mount the switch, and wire was run from it to the starter relay.

The wire loom is a hideous blue. I will have to redo all of this.
So... to summarize.

After five hours they never found the secondary relay, they installed a remote key switch at my direction (which will need to be redo because of the color of the wire loom).

They wanted to charge for five hours but I talked them down to four ($400), they charge for 40 miles of travel ($40) and $75.00 for ten feet of wire, some wire eyelet connectors and a key switch for a total of $515.00

When we arrived home I did some searching and found the secondary starter relay under the bed on the forward engine bulkhead.

[image]

Had my wife turning and holding the key to start position and I used a test light to see if I had power from the key.

Off the nut holding the wires in place I did not, moved the probe to the eyelets of the wire connector and wiggled, the light came on and the engine surprised us and cranked.

Removed the nuts, cleaned all the wire eyelets with Emory paper and the engine now cranks for the dash again, no parts required.

[image]

* This post was last edited 11/27/14 06:09pm by GlennLever *   View edit history

administrator of Front Engine Dragsters
http://www.frontenginedragsters.org/forum/index.php
My web site
http://www.leverfamilysite.com/

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/14 04:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It sounds like you know more than these flunkys that showed up. How come you didn't just take care of it yourself?

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins.
2018 Silver Fox 32A.
H0NDA eu2000i

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/14 05:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They said they would send help. Never said the help would know what they were doing.

Eddie
03 Fleetwood Pride, 36-5L
04 Ford F-250 Superduty
15K Pullrite Superglide
Old coach 04 Pace Arrow 37C with brakes sometimes.
Owner- The Toy Shop-
Auto Restoration and Customs 32 years. Retired by a stroke!
We love 56 T-Birds

peaches&cream

Northwest Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/14 05:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glenn, am I correct that it took a call to the manf. for you too find the elusive relay? They told you right off they knew very little about a MH. At that time you should have told them to forget it and called the manf. yourself. You would have saved most of that money. I don't want to side with the service co. but, Why pay good money for a service when everyone on here complains about them? [emoticon]

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/14 05:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Bird Freak wrote:

They said they would send help. Never said the help would know what they were doing.

I guess there's all kinds of help isn't there.
Maybe you should have had them hold your tools for ya!! [emoticon]

GlennLever

Rochester, New York USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/14 05:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

deleted

* This post was edited 11/28/14 08:51am by GlennLever *

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/14 07:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ScottG wrote:

Bird Freak wrote:

I guess there's all kinds of help isn't there.
Maybe you should have had them hold your tools for ya!! [emoticon]
That's a good one Scott! Gotta give ya that one.

rr2254545

Central Minnesota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/14 07:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

GlennLever wrote:

ScottG wrote:

It sounds like you know more than these flunkys that showed up. How come you didn't just take care of it yourself?

No tools other than wrenches and screw drivers. Still working on collecting the correct tools to carry along.

The MH is 17 years old not like it was a problem any mechanic would see every day - If I had a unit that old I would expect problems -just saying

2012 Winnebago Journey 36M Cummins 360
2014 Jeep Cherokee, Air Force One, Blue Ox Avail tow bar
333 Campgrounds,76K miles driven in our motor homes and 1584 nights camping since we retired in July 2009

Bird Freak

Calhoun, Ga.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 11/27/14 07:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rr2254545 wrote:

GlennLever wrote:

ScottG wrote:

No tools other than wrenches and screw drivers. Still working on collecting the correct tools to carry along.

The MH is 17 years old not like it was a problem any mechanic would see every day - If I had a unit that old I would expect problems -just saying
That's true but the people they sent out didn't work on many MH's. Send some one with a little knowledge at least.

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 11/27/14 09:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

But at your direction they did do the necessary work that got your MH started and on your way.

Your post comes across as you being smarter than the servicemen yet you had the benefit of doing more research at home at your leisure to find/diagnose issue.

While stranded in CG you were more than willing to let them attempt repairs.

Money paid for services rendered & parts supplied seems fair.

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Good Sam Roadside Assistance

> Feedback on company called by Good Sam
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Good Sam Roadside Assistance

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS