|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tiny House Movement

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
MagillaGorilla

Central Mass

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/15 08:19am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is a big movement for Tiny Houses going on in this country. Many of today's hipsters are foregoing the McMansions and instead opting to buy or build tiny houses. There are even several TV shows dedicated to this subject.

So here's my question; Aren't the RV's that we own "Tiny Houses"? These people think they are inventing something cool but it has been around for over 80 years.

My RV is approximately 357 sq/ft. That is tiny living as afar as I am concerned.

Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser

DutchmenSport

Over There

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/15 08:27am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I absolutely agree with you there. I've been bewildered over this "new" movement also. I think the big difference between an RV and a tiny house is, tiny houses are mostly stick-built, wood and nails, very indiviudalized. RV are still mass produced.

Another thing that grabbed my attention about "tiny houses" is the creative use of storage space. RV's don't utilize very many "smarts" when it comes to utilizing every inch of available space. RV have a LOT of dead space never used, covered over, and hidden.

Also, RV are designed to "move" on the road. Tiny houses, although are designed to (sometimes) move, most do not.

It still blows me away that those tiny houses sell for UP from $100,000! Astounding! Simply crazy in my opinion. But, if it makes someone happy, I suppose that's all that matters.

Give this a few more years and the "fad" will come to an end. They will be wanting to move back to their McMansions and they won't be able to sell their tiny houses, because the market will not want it any more .... BUT ...

RV's will continue on! Rock on RVers!

John&Joey

Summer-North,Winter-South

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/15 08:28am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Excuse my language, but tiny homes are stupid. You watch the shows and they all talk about seeing the country. Then none of them have the means to pull the rig so they hire it out. During the move they sweat bullets to go 5-10 miles.

Then the neat thing is a loft bedroom in them. Put's the tiny home over 14 feet high. Good luck going down the road with that height.

None of them have tanks so FHU is a must. None of them have slides so you're stuck on livable square feet. What really makes me laugh is when they come in around $60,000 for 300 square feet. That's $2,000/ foot with no land, and cheap construction to boot. Sorry, that's just dumb in my book. I guess being a hipster and looking smart, doesn't mean you are.

Oasisbob

Portland Oregon 97266

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/15 08:43am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Totally agree. Why build a tinyhouse that is not made for doing much travedl , heavy as well?..Sounds like an RV tome

Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife & 4 Really Fun kids
2008 KIA Sedona 3.8L 24 valve V-6
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS">

JerryofWV

Charleston, WV

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/15 08:50am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. I've watched the show a couple time with DW. I haven't seen a tiny house I would trade my mh for. Plus the mh is made to drive from place to place.

Jerry & Dee Dee Pauley

2005 Monaco Monarch SE, Workhorse, Falcon II tow bar, ReadyBrake, 2012 Jeep Liberty Toad

The happiest people don't necessarily have the best of everything. They just make the best of everything they have.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/15 08:54am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The tiny houses always seem to be in the middle of some up and coming trendy part of a big city. The goal with my tiny house on wheels is to get as far from the big city trendy areas as possible [emoticon]

Dale.Traveling

Newport News, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 09/23/15 08:59am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The whole idea is a fad and not as big as the cable channels make them out to be. Local Code Police love them when owners plop one down in an urban area without first consulting local ordnance requirements. Read about one owner who had one placed in his back yard, and moved in and rented out the house. Code Police red tagged the place for a French drain for waste water, using a 14 gauge extension code for electrical service and have multi residences on a lot zoned for single.

2006 Hurricane 31D

MagillaGorilla

Central Mass

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/15 09:01am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I do believe that to many people buy houses that far surpass their actual needs. I have a retired friend and his wife that built a 4 bedroom, 6 bathroom house on a massive piece of land. It was just the two of them. No kids, no grandchildren. Keeping up with the grounds and the house ended up being a full time job. No thanks.

the tiny house is the other extreme. They make it look like you can live anywhere but you cant. You need power, water and septic. Due to the water and septic needs you will have a hard time living where it is cold. Water freezes in all size homes when the plumbing is exposed.

The one exception that I did see for this Tiny House movement was a lady that always wanted to live in Hawaii. For $40k she had a house built and now lives on a beautiful piece of rented land. Her monthly land/water/septic charge was under $300 a month. So for a minimal investment she is now retired in Hawaii. SIGN ME UP!!

Cloud Dancer

San Antonio and Livingston TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/15 09:11am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I agree. Our RV is a big motorhome(slideouts and all),.....but it's a tiny house. The difference is that it's handy to move it from place to place. It's at the lake (the fishing is good), and for the winter we move it south. It's the most convenient way of being self-contained, and being able to "nomad" (preferable staying where there are hookups). A small doable house, but convenient to transport (a compromise that works),.....that's what we have, and it's a sound concept.
For more comfortable living, a well designed brick house with at least 1,800 sq ft of heated/cooled floor space (with attached 3 car garage) makes more sense for a permanent location (also a proven concept).
Add, a couple of semi-permanent out-of-state locations, with full RV hookups, where you can stay for free,......and life will be good.

Willie & Betty Sue
Miko & Sparky
2003 41 ft Dutch Star Diesel Pusher/Spartan
Floorplan 4010
Blazer toad & Ranger bassboat

azrving

Oatman

View Profile

Posted: 09/23/15 09:56am Link  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I dont see it as a way to be mobile but it does have a place as a form of housing. IF you actually look at what is necessary to live vs what we want to live in it could be a huge savings in building costs and energy use. If you are not into small space living it will never work for you. If you want to have a minimalist lifestyle it's perfect.

The issues like building code minimum size requirements need to be addressed. One of the basics of most building code is the issue of size being adequate to not use the kitchen sink to wash after using the bathroom etc. The bathroom has to have a sink of it's own. Windows need to be a certain distance from appliance vents etc. This part of the code is good but mandatory minimums are outdated. In my area 600 sq feet is the minimum building size. A perfectly livable area could be built in a much smaller area than that and still be safe.

Not to get political but when you are faced with the present economic conditions it makes a lot of sense to change the building code to allow for the building of safe yet much smaller living structures. You or I may not want it but it is a viable option for those on lesser incomes. An RV is very bad at being energy efficient. A very small home with high R values and efficient appliances and solar exposure would be very green compared to an RV.

The time is now but you are up against a system that does not want efficiency. They want consumption. Compare all the costs of permits and building plan costs of 300 sq ft vs 3000 sq ft. The code offices are staffed with ex tradesmen and contractors. Do they want a 300 sq ft plan on their desk or 3,000 sq ft? It's also taxed on sq footage.

Any one who can snowbird or full time can surely side with the concept of highly efficient small home living.

* This post was edited 09/23/15 10:08am by an administrator/moderator *

This Topic Is Closed  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Tiny House Movement
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2019 CWI, Inc. © 2019 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS