RV.Net Open Roads Forum: rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next
Sponsored By:
Domromer

Flagstaff

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/16 06:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know this is a really broad question...but I'll ask it anyways...How does rv camping in Canada differ from the US? We've camped all over the U.S. and expect most campgrounds in Florida to be pretty full in May and for the most part reservations are needed in the more popular campgrounds.

Canada has so much smaller of a population I'm wondering if we can head off and a long trip and not book everything in advance. Or is Canada full of Americans in the summer and are there a lot less campgrounds because the population is so much less....

Like I said I know this if a really broad question and like asking someone whats America like...but I really know nothing about Canada other than what I'm starting to read in guidebooks.

Dom

Aridon

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/16 07:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You should book. Canada gets a very small window of good weather and most of the population there takes advantage of that. Far more so as a percentage of the population than anywhere in the USA that we've traveled. Every place has a season but Canadians love their summer and get out.

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

bcbouy

pitt meadows british columbia

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/16 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

in bc,provincial parks are busy during the summer but you can get sites as not all of them are reservable.no hookups or firewood,but the sites are mostly large,flat, have a table and fire ring and are reasonably secluded and have generator run time limits and most of them have flush toilets but no showers and max stay limits.fees range from 15 to maybe 30 bucks a night.forest service sites have no amenities save for a table and a pit toilet but the're off the beaten path,most are under 10 sites and secluded and almost all are lake or river side sites and are rarely full and are user maintained and beleve it or not are the best places to camp and are quieter than provincial sites by far.most are free,some have a small fee or a donation box.as for small window of weather,it starts in april and lasts till mid to late october.

2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Domromer

Flagstaff

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/16 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bcbouy wrote:

in bc,provincial parks are busy during the summer but you can get sites as not all of them are reservable.no hookups or firewood,but the sites are mostly large,flat, have a table and fire ring and are reasonably secluded and have generator run time limits and most of them have flush toilets but no showers and max stay limits.fees range from 15 to maybe 30 bucks a night.forest service sites have no amenities save for a table and a pit toilet but the're off the beaten path,most are under 10 sites and secluded and almost all are lake or river side sites and are rarely full and are user maintained and beleve it or not are the best places to camp and are quieter than provincial sites by far.most are free,some have a small fee or a donation box.as for small window of weather,it starts in april and lasts till mid to late october.

Thanks, that's good info.

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/16 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes, much different! The Canadian are much more friendly then some here in the states. Government parks seem to be cleaner then US.
Actually there is very little difference. Camp grounds are general set up the same way. One item that we have run into is the lact of 30 ampp RV receptacle in some older parks. They were built before Canadaian elctrical code adpoted the NEMA 30TT receptacle. There fore make sure you have adpaters. 50 male to 30 female, and 30 female to 15/20 male. Most parks have upgraded but to be safe.
Make sure you have Canadian currency of various denominations.

Bud
USAF Retired
Suzuki XL7 pushing Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

Domromer

Flagstaff

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/16 07:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any recommended websites or books for finding and researching campgrounds in Canada?

Bill & Kate

Stone Harbor, NJ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/16 07:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My wife is Canadian, and we always visit in late summer over Labor Day. For Provincial Parks - which are mostly very nice! - they get very busy in season, especially over Holiday weekends, so we always reserve. Privately owned parks are a mixed bag - many of the most desirable ones accept seasonal rentals, and are full all summer long, and only have a few transient sites which go fast. There are parks along the major highways, etc that cater to transients, and more likely to be open for a night or two without reservations.

Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Molson (goldendoodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)
2005 Ford/Quigley 4x4 E-350 Chateau Super Duty Van with 6.0L PSD ("Moby")
2012 Outback Super Light 277RL - 10th Anniversary Edition ("Salty Dog House II")

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/07/16 08:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My camping experience in Canada consists of a trip around the north shore of Lake Superior. We found the campgrounds smaller with not as many frills, i.e. some with only 20 amp service.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

camp-n-family

London, Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/16 08:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Parks book up quickly online 5 months in advance in Ontario. They do hold a couple of spots as unreservable and they are first come first serve. Pretty risky and stressful. If you don't get in the next park could be hours away. Once you get north of Sudbury and the Sault it gets easier to show up without reservations. Most provincial parks have hydro sites but not many have water and sewer. There are a lot of private parks too but they are hit and miss. We find a lot of them cater to seasonal campers and tend to be drinking holes for the locals.

You can leave your guns at home. You won't need them here. Even the bears are friendly [emoticon]

'14 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

enblethen

Moses Lake, WA

View Profile

Posted: 12/07/16 08:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I email many of the Canadian Provinces tourism office and received good information. At times too much.
British Columbia is well covered in books about the Alaska Highway such as The Milepost. Alberta is partly covered in The Milepost as well.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS