RV.Net Open Roads Forum: rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/16 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Deb and Ed M wrote:

We LOVE traveling through Canada - it's a beautiful country and the people are wonderful!

Including SoundGuy, even though Allworth takes exception to my commentary about power grid systems here in Canada. [emoticon]

My point was that the electrical power system here in Canada is essentially no different than in the US, you'll run into the same anomalies as you travel and camp here just as you would in the US, so if you don't already have one the best investment you could make would be an EMS to protect your rig's electrical system. If there's any notable differences I'd say that runs in the US are typically much shorter than often can be the case here in many regions of Canada, where runs especially in provincial park systems can be quite long and where anything more than 30 amp service would be a rarity. If you insist on 50 amp service and short runs then you're most likely to find those services in private campgrounds, not public.

qtla9111

Monterrey, Mexico

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/16 08:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Best thing about Canada are the people. Very nice and helpful. We traveled to Vancouver and then across to Saskatchewan, down around the lakes to Chicago and back into Ontario to Niagara Falls.

Not knowing the country, we found boondocking to be a bit more difficult. When we did stay in a park, we never had reservations.

We traveled in May, June and part of July in 2014. Fuel was very expensive at the time. We did find that Canada is expensive in terms of rv parks, groceries, restaurants, etc.

Would we go back? You bet. We dropped the rv in Ottawa and flew to Nova Scotia for a week. Best province that we visited. We want to rv in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia next.

2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/16 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

qtla9111 wrote:

We want to rv in Newfoundland and Nova Scotia next.

We have visited Newfie 2x and loved it, but we didn't take the RV. That turned out to be beyond our budget.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/16 12:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tenbear wrote:

qtla9111 wrote:

We have visited Newfie 2x and loved it, but we didn't take the RV. That turned out to be beyond our budget.

I lived in Newfoundland for 24.5 years. Traveling by rv should be less than any other way, except motorcycle and tent. Something is out of kilter here. I certainly have heard of places where the facility owner, would say, 'use our parking lot'.

Of course, this plan includes taking the ferry Port aux Basques to N. Sydney both ways. The Argentia costs lots more. & there are ways to be careful about gasoline cost too.

Check Public Utilities Board for fuel prices: http://www.pub.nf.ca/orders/ppo/fuel/Fuel_161208.pdf

Memorize this url http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/cameras/default.stm There are lots of related travel links.

Still, I should say my reason for moving away from NL upon retirement was to get away from the ferry cost. It's a very big source of outmigration, especially for those with grandchildren living 'away'.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/16 02:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You probably already know this, but just in case, be aware of the things you can and cannot transport across the border. Try to take a "forbidden" food or other such thing across can result in a very unhappy camper. Also you will need either a passport or a enhanced drivers license.

Geodude

Ottawa, Ontario

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/16 05:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

You probably already know this, but just in case, be aware of the things you can and cannot transport across the border. Try to take a "forbidden" food or other such thing across can result in a very unhappy camper. Also you will need either a passport or a enhanced drivers license.

A passport isn't a necessity for a US citizen to enter Canada. A birth certificate will do but as a US citizen you do need a US passport to get back into the US. Here's what Canada requires of US citizens who wish to visit Canada: http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html

2015 Heartland Bighorn 3585RL (41', triple slide, auto hydraulic levelling, power cord reel, heated theatre seating)
2011 Ford F-350 Super Duty Lariat Crew Cab SB 4WD 6.7L Power Stroke diesel

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/16 06:55pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little Kopit wrote:

tenbear wrote:

qtla9111 wrote:

I lived in Newfoundland for 24.5 years. Traveling by rv should be less than any other way, except motorcycle and tent. Something is out of kilter here. I certainly have heard of places where the facility owner, would say, 'use our parking lot'.

Of course, this plan includes taking the ferry Port aux Basques to N. Sydney both ways. The Argentia costs lots more. & there are ways to be careful about gasoline cost too.

Check Public Utilities Board for fuel prices: http://www.pub.nf.ca/orders/ppo/fuel/Fuel_161208.pdf

Memorize this url http://www.roads.gov.nl.ca/cameras/default.stm There are lots of related travel links.

Still, I should say my reason for moving away from NL upon retirement was to get away from the ferry cost. It's a very big source of outmigration, especially for those with grandchildren living 'away'.

[emoticon]

My comment about the cost was based on the cost of the ferry to get to Newfoundland. At the time the Canadian and US $ were about the same and the ferry would have cost us about $600 each way as I remember.

As it was, we had a delightful time staying mostly at B & Bs.

* This post was edited 12/12/16 07:06pm by tenbear *

TXcampingfamily

San Antonio, TX

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/26/16 03:16pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here are a couple of things we noticed on our visit that I don't think have been mention before (these are our observations and may not reflect all areas of Canada):

Make sure to have a different credit card if you are used to using Discover. We were in the Canada in 2013 and couldn't find a single place that would take the Discover Card.

I don't know if this is the norm, but we found that even some commercial campgrounds will charge for the use of their showers. We were OK, but traveling with 5 people in our RV we liked the option of using campground showers sometimes.

Gin & Mike + 2 TD (tax deductions)
2009 Fleetwood Fiesta Bunkhouse
2009 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/17 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Only things different about Canadia, without turning this into a political or utilities service discussion are beer, smokes and almost everything else costs more, even with the exchange rate....and hockey equipment costs way less! (Serious about the hockey gear up there and it's like half price)

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

bigred1cav

ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/03/17 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Any way to get there other than ferry? How would you come from Ohio to NL and NS?

What would you not miss seeing? Eating and where? Is it expensive for non residents to fish?

Thanks

Little Kopit wrote:

tenbear wrote:

qtla9111 wrote:

[emoticon]

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS