RV.Net Open Roads Forum: rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/17 07:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

Any way to get there other than ferry?

To NFLD? Fly, or swim ... but in either case you won't be taking your RV. [emoticon]

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/17 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can get to Labrador from Quebec, cross Labrador, then take a ferry from Blanc Sablon, QC to Newfoundland. In my photo collection are pics of me going the opposite way.

My choice was to stop for the tours of hydro dams and related developments. Labrador City had a special day the day I happened to be there and aside from various races, the whole place was closed up. Also, I should mention that you can drive all the way across Labrador now and some is paved. & I still think the rver who emailed each and every municipality with a web page had a great trip. Always ask locals.

Then when you get to Newfoundland give yourself at least two weeks, better 4 to visit all around. Without a doubt it's changed since I moved across the Gulf in 2008.

Fish/seafood for eating natch. Larger centers for general shopping and gasoline. Check Public Utilities Board for gas prices, ie. costs less Deer Lake through Corner Brook than south around Stephenville. St. John's being the largest most dense population area has lowest gas prices.

Some absolute musts: L'Anse aux Meadows, Gros Morne both sides of Bonne Bay, Cape St. Mary's Bird Sanctuary, a selection of St. John's. Check what festivals are where. Play Tempting Providence @ Gros Morne Theatre festival in Cow Head. 'Tis local history.

[emoticon]

& I, I took the road less travelled by.

My Photo Album, featuring Labrador 2006

Little Kopit

TheMaritimes.ca

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/17 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

bigred1cav wrote:

To NFLD? Fly, or swim ... but in either case you won't be taking your RV. [emoticon]

Nonsense, there's a lot you can't do, if you tie yourself down to staying in burgs. You get what you pay for and with an RV you should have a fair idea of how to economize on the road. Cooking at least 1/2 of your meals as you do at home is one.

[emoticon]

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/17 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bigred1cav wrote:

SoundGuy wrote:

Little Kopit wrote:

Nonsense, there's a lot you can't do, if you tie yourself down to staying in burgs. You get what you pay for and with an RV you should have a fair idea of how to economize on the road. Cooking at least 1/2 of your meals as you do at home is one.

Your post makes no sense ... bigred1cav asked if there's any alternate way (a bridge for example) to get to The Rock with their RV other than taking an expensive ferry trip and the answer is no. What in the world has this to do with "cooking 1/2 of your meals as you do at home"? Good grief. [emoticon]

Deb and Ed M

SW MI & Space Coast, FL USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/17 12:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TXcampingfamily wrote:

I don't know if this is the norm, but we found that even some commercial campgrounds will charge for the use of their showers. We were OK, but traveling with 5 people in our RV we liked the option of using campground showers sometimes.

I think in all our Canadian travels, we encountered this once or twice - but one place gave me a case of the giggles: there was a sign that said "Shower only accepts loonies". It was just after we crossed the border and I wasn't quite "versed" in Canadian currency, so I wondered why anyone's mental instability was required for a shower.... then the light bulb went on....LOL!!

tenbear

Northern Vermont, USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/04/17 02:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Little Kopit wrote:

You can get to Labrador from Quebec, cross Labrador, then take a ferry from Blanc Sablon, QC to Newfoundland. In my photo collection are pics of me going the opposite way.

You are right.

When we were in Newfie we went past that ferry and decided that on our return trip south we would take the ferry to Labrador. Unfortunately, when we got back we found a tanker had caught fire in the harbor and the ferry dock was closed until further notice. So much for our trip to Labrador.

Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

joegray

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 12:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The biggest difference in B.C. is you pay premium prices for, NO power,No sewer and no water at your site. The sites are big and private but you would struggle to get a 40ft MH or a 34+ 5er into most sites. If there isn't any attractions or beaches around you are hard pressed to find even a goog private campsite. jmho

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/17 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Yes, much different! The Canadian are much more friendly then some here in the states. Government parks seem to be cleaner then US

Really depends on where you travel. Good and bad people and places in both. No difference! State park campgrounds here in AZ are some of the nicest I've ever been to for instance. Too popular and difficult to get reservations at most.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/17 07:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

enblethen wrote:

Yes, much different! The Canadian are much more friendly then some here in the states. Government parks seem to be cleaner then US

mileshuff wrote:

Really depends on where you travel. Good and bad people and places in both. No difference! State park campgrounds here in AZ are some of the nicest I've ever been to for instance. Too popular and difficult to get reservations at most.

Of course there's a difference ... in the US half your campground neighbours could legally be carrying arms, not so here in Canada. If you're visiting from the US don't expect the same right to carry here in Canada - leave your guns at home. As for park cleanliness there are good and not quite as good in both countries ... and good luck trying to get a last minute reservation here in S Ontario from mid June through to Labour Day - Arizona certainly isn't "special" in this regard. [emoticon]

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/13/17 09:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Of course there's a difference ... in the US half your campground neighbours could legally be carrying arms, not so here in Canada.

Not sure how this discussion degraded to a debate on guns! In any event, its a non-issue for me either way.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> rv camping in Canada, different than camping in the US?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS