|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New rig, Winter camping, everything has gone wrong

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/16 06:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have camped alot in the winter months with our OFF-ROAD POPUP camper off grid and this indeed makes for much more planning and having different PLAN Bs. If we just showed up and hoped for the best it usually fails for us somewhere along the way... Camping at sites with hook-ups should makes this a bit easier you would think...

Also jumping into something that is brand new to one's use and heading out into the camping environment would be another bad idea for us.... It always takes awhile to learn how the things work and what PLAN Bs you need to establish to be successful...

Look at what you have experienced so far... Camping at home or at some local camping place would have been very valuable operating information for you guys...

We have learned a long time ago alot of planning and good PLAN Bs is what makes it all work for us...

We have never had a large trailer with all the toys and bells and whistles that come with them. Can't even imagine the learning curve involved with one of those monsters...

Hoping the best for you guys... Sounds like some good PLAN Bs have already got established out of your adventure.

Roy Ken

My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

ncrowley

Utah

View Profile

Posted: 12/10/16 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As stated, when it gets below 40 degrees you need to turn on the propane heater. I also use electric heaters. The combination of the two of them work well. Also check to see if you have a switch that will blow hot air from the propane heater into the bays below the coach. If you do, you will want to turn that on.

Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

RVER

West of Boston, MA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/16 08:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

DO not use your water system when it is below freezing. You can buy some windshield washer solution to pour in toilet to flush but do not use water in rig at all when it is freezing out. NOW if you can thaw out your pipes, get a thing that screws into your city water inlet in the rig, and use a compressor and blow out your pipes of water with a faucet turned on and when no more water comes out go to the next faucet but at no time close one before you open the next. Do that to the toilet and shower as well. Pull your low point drains to drain out what you can before blowing out the pipes. Drain your hot water heater and your grey and black water tanks. You should be ok. MOST trailers and Motorhomes are NOT made to live in 24/7 and some actually will void the warranty if they find out you are living in it. IF you have a stick house than that is good, you just say you are traveling extensively now. HOPE it all works!!

Chevy Silverado 2500HD with Duramax engine and Allison transmission
2002 Sunnybrook 34BWTS with lots of goodies
Pullrite Superglide Hitch, Prodigy brake controller
S and S Co-Travelers and along for the ride is Ketzel the wonder cat.

jnharley

Anywhere, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/16 08:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

As long as you keep your furnace on (we set ours at 55 degrees when it is forecast to be freezing) and you have a heated underbelly you can use the water in your rig. We however, fill our fresh water tank and use the pump. Full timers deal with this stuff all the time. Heat pumps work great if the temp is above 40 degrees but when you are more comfortable with your systems, experiment and you will find how low your can use your heat pumps. Our bedroom one will routinely work down to freezing but our main one only works down to around 40 degrees. You may not have damaged anything at all if you did not have sustained freezing temps. When it is too low for our heat pumps, we put the furnace on 55 degrees and use a spac e heater. Closing off the rest of the TV from the sleeping area and using a space heater is freezing temps keeps us nice an warm overnight. Then we kick up the furnace in the mornin g to warm the rest of the rig up.

* This post was edited 12/10/16 09:23am by jnharley *

2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

allen8106

Burrton. KS

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/10/16 10:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

If you were heating with electric heat pumps, that could be the problem. Heat pumps only work till about 40 degrees. Then they just blow cold air. Nothing wrong with them, that is how they work by design.

Always keep propane when it's cold out.

Dale

I work for an HVAC manufacturer, we design heat pumps to operate down to minus 20f.

2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
1983 DW (love of my life)
2010 Pit Bull Terrier (Jake)

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 0">

LarryJM

NoVa

View Profile

Posted: 12/11/16 12:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allen8106 wrote:

Scottiemom wrote:

If you were heating with electric heat pumps, that could be the problem. Heat pumps only work till about 40 degrees. Then they just blow cold air. Nothing wrong with them, that is how they work by design.

Dale

I work for an HVAC manufacturer, we design heat pumps to operate down to minus 20f.

I think that's because those have an electric supplemental unit to augment when temps get too low, something RV units don't have because of electrical limitations.

Larry

2001 standard box 7.3L E-350 PSD Van with 4.10 rear and 2007 Holiday Rambler Aluma-Lite 8306S Been RV'ing since 1974.
RAINKAP INSTALL////ETERNABOND INSTALL

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/16 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always carry a couple (2-3) small ceramic space heaters, since they are much quieter then the propane furnace, and I can heat the motorhome with them set on low. If it gets super cold the LP furnace supplements them, I rarely run them on high.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2007 Four Winns Horizon 190
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

doxiemom11

Mississippi

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/11/16 12:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When it's cold out, keep your shades down, put something in the vent/fan openings as warm air goes thru those little plastic covers easily. We have also noticed that floor is cold and if sitting with your feet down, makes you feel colder. Put an extra layer on the floor where you sit. You will feel warmer. We also use electric heaters to supplement the propane furnace, but we do use the furnace to make sure our water stays good. Do NOT leave your grey tank valve open as you will end up with an ice chunk in your hose. Let your holding tanks fill and them empty, the black first, then the grey to rinse the hose. You can also put bubble wrap on the inside of the windows to help insulate. If a motorhome - keep drapes closed on the windshield. That lets a lot of cold in.

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/16 11:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No Stress Express wrote:

Everything else works. We also ran out of propane. Filling the tank this morning, hoping that will work.

Do you have any clue what would make both stop working suddenly?

The best resource DH and I can think of is RV Boot Camp. It is run by the Escapees RV Club. They are in Livingston, Texas, but they hold the boot camp at most/all of their rallies. You can go to their website and look up info on it. One of their members, Mark Nemeth, is very knowledgeable and writes a column in their magazine. Their boot camp, which covers 3 days I think, covers everything and all the systems you have.

Take a good look and see if you could squeeze something like that in.

Happy Trails!

Dale

Dale Pace
Wife to Terry (Teacher's Pet)
Mom to Scottish Terrier, Duchess
2006 Tiffin Phaeton 40'(Phaeton Place)
2014 Ford Flex
2004 R-Vision Trail-lite 213 (MinnieMee)
Fulltiming since 2005

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/
Where are we?

Scottiemom

South Dakota/Indiana

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/16 11:31am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

LarryJM wrote:

allen8106 wrote:

Scottiemom wrote:

Dale

I think that's because those have an electric supplemental unit to augment when temps get too low, something RV units don't have because of electrical limitations.

Larry

Quite possibly, Larry. Ours specifically say 40* and at that point, it's like flipping a switch and then the cold air starts!

Dale

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New rig, Winter camping, everything has gone wrong
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS