|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New rig, Winter camping, everything has gone wrong

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Teacher's Pet

SD.. Fulltimers. Goshen IN summers

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/12/16 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Re Mark Nemeth: He has a very informative web page from his years as a fulltimer. It's several years old, but still valid. Mark's Fulltime RV Resource

'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
Our lady Scottie on board, Duchess
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

PastorCharlie

NC

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/16 04:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No Stress Express wrote:

We finally bought our Rig last week (over a month behind schedule we had no choice but to move right in), and thought it was smart to stay local for the next month to educate ourselves about our new home, make sure everything is in good working order and so on.
What we didn't expect...the NC weather to be so cold, the weather to affect the furnace. Then there is the 10 other things that have gone wrong with it that we have to take it back to the dealer to be fixed.
I have years more experience camping than Dan. I camped in the U.P. Michigan every year with an old TT and never had a problem. So, what or why would my furnace (both), stop working when temps dropped below freezing? We weren't using propane, just our 50 amp service. We checked breakers, switches and so on.
Now I'm very concerned that everything is going to freeze and break...black water, gray water, fresh water. The tanks and lines. It's 21 degrees as I'm typing this. We've had to leave the motor home at the campground. I think we are in real trouble. Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Check your control panel and see if you have a heat pump with an electrical heat supplement... mine does.

CharlesinGA

South of Atlanta, Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 12/12/16 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have electrical, use space heaters rather than burning up your propane, burn the park/campground electricity instead. Use a couple, just make sure you put them on separate circuits to spread the load out. Cheap milkhouse heaters or ceramic ones. Cheap at places like Ollies. Just be sure and set them on the floor out in the open, so they are not blowing on anything.

As already noted, put a auto trouble light that uses a regular screw in INCANDESCENT bulb in the service areas that have water fittings. You can still buy 100watt "rough service" bulbs, the government banned regular 100 watt bulbs several years back.

Charles

2007 Winnebago View 523H on a 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles on it, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dymanics PD4645, Chill Grille, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/16 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Cheap heat. Run out to Walmart & get a couple of ceramic heaters. The trick is not to overload a circuit. Check to see if all outlets are on one circuit. Split the load or run one heater on low power, the other on high. Between the heater specs & circuit breaker rating not hard to firgure out what can & cannot be run together.

More than likely the built in electric heaters are on their own circuit breaker.

In Newfoundland earlier this year we had nights in the 30s & got by without using built in electric heaters or propane furnace. The little portables, one on low, one on high, did the job.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Rovin' Bones

MPLS/StP

View Profile

Posted: 12/13/16 01:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Another important note about electric heaters; Do NOT use extension cords and do NOT plug them into power strips. Always plug directly into a wall outlet.

Be safe out there. Stay warm.

1983 24' Midas Freeport. Chevy 350 mated to a TH400 transmission on a GM G30 chassis and a spiffy Onan 4kw genset.

!*NEW Blog page*!
Rovin' Bones

hotpepperkid

Kingman AZ

View Profile

Posted: 12/14/16 06:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Scottiemom wrote:

If you were heating with electric heat pumps, that could be the problem. Heat pumps only work till about 40 degrees. Then they just blow cold air. Nothing wrong with them, that is how they work by design.

Always keep propane when it's cold out.

Dale

I don't know about heat pumps in RV's but the one in my stick house works in cooler weather. The ones in houses have a heat strip for aux heat. Below 37 deg it takes a lot longer for the heat pump to make warm air

2000 Ford F-350 SRW 4X4 PSD Jayco Super Lite 29.5RKS (31') 5th wheel 50 gal X-ferflow in the bed tank. Banks big exhaust and Stinger kit.

CWDoc115

Somewhere near the house of mouse

View Profile

Posted: 12/24/16 12:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have on occasion used the engine as a heater. [emoticon] Learned to pay attention to the tank gauges afterward....[emoticon]

koda55

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/25/16 05:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We camp in Pa the beginning of December for 2 weeks in a 42 ft class A.I installed the adapter in the propane line that allows me to use the 20 lb tanks. they last about a day and a half. I just swap them out when needed. I still have my big propane tank to use as needed.
I run my heat pumps when it is above 36 degrees.

johnwalkerpa1

Pennsylvania

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/29/16 11:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

allen8106 wrote:

Scottiemom wrote:

If you were heating with electric heat pumps, that could be the problem. Heat pumps only work till about 40 degrees. Then they just blow cold air. Nothing wrong with them, that is how they work by design.

Always keep propane when it's cold out.

Dale

I work for an HVAC manufacturer, we design heat pumps to operate down to minus 20f.

I suspect those are bit more advanced than the $600-$1000 units that are popped on the top of most RVs [emoticon]

As an aside, in good conditions I've been able to squeeze heat out of my RV heat pump down to 30 but that is about it...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New rig, Winter camping, everything has gone wrong
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS