RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is this worth it. Or am I in over my head...

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is this worth it. Or am I in over my head...

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
mowin

Upstate NY

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 07:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I see a one way trip to the scrap yard. At least get your $ back.

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 08:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have to know when to fold them.

Seen this happen many times with boats. "I got it for a steal". No you didn't. You bought somebodys nightmare & soon it will turn into yours. By the time you get it finished, if you get it finished, you will be burnt out & want to be rid of it.

Trouble is, in the eyes of potential buyers, it is still an old rig even though you have put a bundle in material & your time into it.

Part it out, especially parts that are model specific, & junk the rest.

Take that money, plus at least double what your estimate was to restore the old one & go find something that is at least 'turn key' & needing modifications as you go along without missing a day of camping time.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

mgirardo

Brunswick, GA

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

vcarvajal89 wrote:

It wasn't in our plan to buy an RV but the original owner had it posted for $1,000 online. I shot him an offer of $800 and he quickly declined... I wasn't really looking for an RV just a project to keep me occupied during free time.

Since your plan wasn't to buy a RV, then I would say part it out and/or junk it out. You could probably get your $300 back plus more if you part it out and then junk the rest.

If you want to occupy your time, this is certainly the project for that. Since you mentioned the word investment, I get the feeling that you are hoping to fix it up and make some money out of it. With a rebuild of this magnitude, you most likely will not make much money out of it. You will most likely put more money into than you can sell it for. As others have stated, even completely renovated, it is still at 23+ year old Motorhome.

Put it on Craigslist for $500, be honest about the problems and see if you get any takers.

-Michael

Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/19/16 08:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

old guy wrote:

Isaac-1 wrote:

The way I see it is you can put $20,000 into it and then when you are done you will have a $7,000 motorhome.
my thought exactly
OK if you are simply fixing it up to resell at a profit... I agree forgetaboutit.

You can also buy a MH for $20,000 and resell it for $7,000 after getting some use out of it. Lots of people do this. The point is if you will be using it to travel and experience the outdoors it may well be worth the effort.

Otherwise I don't know many that plan to make money on an RV.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 09:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am reminded of what I call a Harsen's Island Fixer Upper.. True story, a buyer on said island layed planks down on the floor to walk across it, Accidentally stepped off the plank and went through the floor. now that's a real Fixer Upper. in fact about the only thing NOT rotted was the frame itself.

If you have the skills to re-build.. Well for 300 your got a steal, If you have to pay professionals to do the work, specifically the roof/sides and floors.. perhaps not so much.. But if you can do most of the work yourself. you got a deal and a half.

I have the knowledge to so this stuff.. but alas,, No longer the stamina.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 10:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I got my snowmobile free from the neighbor. It needed a lot of small things and a few big things. In the end I have about $800 in it. It's worth a thousand. I could've bought a running sled, but it would've needed about $300-$400. You have to look at what you have and what is available.

I would find a running/driving project with no leaks or very minor leaks. Maybe plumbing or electrical or repairing/replacing cabinets furniture. But doing and entire RV roof to floor is too much!

Wife Kim ">
Son Brandon 13yrs">
Daughter Marissa 12yrs">
Dog Bailey ">

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!">

2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here you go - just thought of this. I just this month bought a 454 long block from a junk yard as a core for a hot rod project. It has the one piece crank shaft seal, and oval port heads. Guy at the junk yard is an acquaintance - see him at the cruise-in's. He said they pulled it from an old motor home, and priced it at $350.00. I offered $300.00, but he said he really needed the 350. so I paid the man his price.

So you have at least that much in the engine if you decide to part it out.

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

drsteve

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 07:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Isaac-1 wrote:

The way I see it is you can put $20,000 into it and then when you are done you will have a $7,000 motorhome.

What he said.

2006 Silverado 1500HD Crew Cab 2WD 6.0L 3.73 8600 GVWR
2018 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 223RBS
1991 Palomino Filly PUP

Harvey51

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 12/19/16 11:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A longtime friend of mine, a welder, had a year off work and took on the job of converting a retired school bus into a motorhome. I only saw the steel frame he built and some plans. His objective was to make the strongest motorhome ever and I bet it was. The thing is, this was his second time doing it. The first was no sooner finished than someone offered him a price he couldn't resist.

My thought for you is, if you have an idea for making a unique motorhome, it just might be worthwhile.

2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed

Jebby14

Windsor Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/23/16 04:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

it can definitely be done. When you are finished you will have your RV. it will be what you make it. That's worth something. On the other hand time is worth something also. I'd strip it, sell what you can and hold onto the 454 for a fun project. A camp ready rv is not that expensive if you are handy.

If it moves and it shouldn't..... duct tape
if it doesn't move and it should.....WD40
if all else fails .....BFH

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Is this worth it. Or am I in over my head...
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS