|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Explore Western US without an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't care to travel because it makes me anxious. This is an understatement for those who know me. But I do want to see the sights of the western US. I was thinking of a truck camper but after a few road trips over the holidays to visit relatives in other states, I am rethinking this idea. Single Joe, so only me. Is it practical to visit some of the national parks buy flying nearby, renting a car and staying at a cabin if they are available? Just don't want to bite off a one ton Ram and truck camper and find out this ain't for me. I see where Cruise America started a pilot program to rent truck/campers. Perhaps a trial run may help me decide. I want to see the parks and sights, just really don't care to be on the road away from home for extended periods of time.

WILDEBILL308

FORT WORTH , TEXAS

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 08:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always recommend renting before buying. You have a great national park in your backyard. Rent one and go to Hot Springs National Park.
Bill

2003 BOUNDER 38N
5.9 CUMMINS 300 HP
ALLISON 3000MH TRANSMISSION
TOWING 2014 HONDA CRV With Blue Ox tow bar
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain

rv2go

Fulltime 14 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 09:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fly to Las Vegas. Rent a Jucy and do the grand tour.
[image]

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335

Naio

Snug as a bug in a rug

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 10:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

breeves2245 wrote:

flying nearby, renting a car and staying at a cabin if they are available?

Sure, you can do that. Or you could fly, and send your tent-camping gear ahead on the greyhound (cheap shipping).

3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 11:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You certainly can rent a car and stay in lodges/motels, or rent a car and tent camp, or rent an RV and camp in that, or go on a prepackaged bus tour, or even backpack into the less visited areas. I suspect that more people visit the national parks without RVs than visit with them, though I can't say I have ever seen actual statistics on that. Suffice to say, at any rate, that a national park is not an RV resort and is intended for anyone, not just the RVers, to visit and appreciate.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 01:10am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

breeves2245 wrote:

I don't care to travel because it makes me anxious. This is an understatement for those who know me. But I do want to see the sights of the western US. I was thinking of a truck camper but after a few road trips over the holidays to visit relatives in other states, I am rethinking this idea. Single Joe, so only me. Is it practical to visit some of the national parks buy flying nearby, renting a car and staying at a cabin if they are available? Just don't want to bite off a one ton Ram and truck camper and find out this ain't for me. I see where Cruise America started a pilot program to rent truck/campers. Perhaps a trial run may help me decide. I want to see the parks and sights, just really don't care to be on the road away from home for extended periods of time.

I'd suggest you figure out what you mean by "traveling makes me anxious" and "really don't care to be on the road away from home for extended periods of time" before you do any of it.

If it's the actual road and driving for long periods of time, then the flight, rental car and cabin/hotel is probably the better bet. Several days of driving to get to the parks driving a large truck and camper isn't going to be more relaxing than driving a car for a few hours.

If it's staying in an unfamiliar location at night, then the truck camper might be a better option (but you may want to start out for a while close to home until you feel "at home" in the camper).

It's really dependent upon what YOUR issues are with traveling that make you anxious. What works for one person's anxieties won't work for another's.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 06:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Check out Caravans.com for bus tours of many places. We took their California tour and it was good.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 06:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

RV2GO - I thought that rig was a bit silly at first, but after checking the website that is about right to just do short trip and have my own bed and kitchen.

Between that and Cruise America's Truck/Camper rental I can give this a try without much out of pocket.

Although I could do without all that wrap advertising.

Thanks

RoyB

King George, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 07:23am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OOPS Disregard - read the post again

Roy Ken

* This post was edited 12/31/16 09:16am by RoyB *

Crowe

Billerica, MA USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 07:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Of course you can go that route. I've done it multiple times. If traveling makes you that anxious, I'd agree that a tour group might be the way to go. What part of it makes you so nervous? Maybe we can alleviate your fears.

Subscribe to the 3 "L" rule-don't stop livin', lovin' and learnin'

RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Explore Western US without an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS