|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Explore Western US without an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
lhenry8113

Cypress or Lake Arrowhead, Ca.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 06:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you thought of joining "KOA" or other RV'ing Clubs--"Good Sam". I know KOA has RV Campgrounds all over the U.S. a lot of them have cabins or yurts for rent for folks that don't have a camper. They are clean, usually have stores to buy the basics, have restrooms and showers, pools, etc. Not expensive to join, annually, and all you would need is a sleeping bag, cooler, and maybe a portable barbecue.
http://koa.com/ways-to-stay/deluxe-cabins/

04 F250,C.C., 4x4, Diesel, LgBd, XLT, SuperDuty, Camper Pkg, Off Rd Pkg.
55 Packard Caribbean
07 Arctic Fox 29 5T
Toad River B.C.

A Positive Attitude May Not Solve All Your Problems But It Will Annoy Enough People To Make It Worth The Effort.
H Albright

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 06:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The dog thing is easy. Mine come with me. The trailer is a comfy, familiar place for them. I bring their food, their bed, their toys... Some people even travel with their cats.

2011 F150 towing a Nash 22H

atwowheelguy

Marietta, Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 07:04pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have a lot of years ahead of you. Have you ever thought of seeking treatment to ease these anxieties? I would think it would be worth a try. Without any relief you are going to be limited in the travel opportunities you might be able to enjoy otherwise. I think my dad may have had home comfort anxiety. He loved to fish from the fishing pier on the NC coast, but he was never able to stay there more than a couple of nights before he felt compelled to return home.

Quote:

Home Comfort
Some people also develop a fear of being in a place so far from home, because their home is their source of comfort and stress relief. It's very common in those with panic attacks, for example, because their home becomes associated with being safe. The idea of leaving their home for an extended period of time then becomes very stressful. This can affect those without an anxiety disorder as well.

http://www.calmclinic.com/anxiety/types/travel

http://patient.info/health/agoraphobia-leaflet

2013 F150 XLT SCrew 5.5' 3.5 EB, 3.55, 2WD, 1607# Payload, EAZ Lift WDH
Toy Hauler: 2010 Fun Finder XT-245, 5025# new, 6640-7180# loaded, 900# TW, Voyager wireless rear view camera
Toys: '66 Super Hawk, XR400R, SV650, XR650R, DL650 V-Strom, 525EXC, 500EXC

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 09:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You mentioned renting a truck camper. If you're not used to driving one they can give an unsteady, wobbly feeling. Instead, I'd recommend you rent a very small Class C. It will feel more like driving a car.

Another thought is to rent a Class B. This is excellent for one person and it's like driving a big car.

As to why you feel you need to return home after a couple days - perhaps you don't know how to sitesee. I'm not making fun but this is indeed a problem for many. Some folks get an overwhelmed feeling when in a strange place. They don't know where to start on seeing things in a big new area.

It might be best for you to plan your days before you even get there. Each national park has excellent web site which will give you things to do, etc. Do some research on the area before you go so it will feel a little familiar to you.

Think of things you really enjoy - museums, hiking, or in the case of national parks, the small-group ranger programs might be good for you. They'll let you learn a lot about the park, it's history, animals, plants, geology, etc.

Probably, it would really help to be able to take your dog with you on some trips near your home. However, I don't think rentals would allow it. You'd have to have your own RV. Or..... have you considered just getting a nice tent? Then you could have your dog with you. Just go to a nearby state park and enjoy a few days and gradually add more days to a trip. Good luck!

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/17 08:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well, I think you're asking for help that none of us can give you.
Barring fixing your anxiety of travel, no, there is no reasonable way you can see the country only a few days at a time away from home.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/17 10:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like living in an RV.. In fact I now do it full time.

The cat gets or rather got nightly upset when moved from house to house but settled own in about 1 minute into the RV, found a nice hidey hole for when we are rolling and seems to like it. Does not like going outside at all. But is happy indoors, Lots of places to sneak into and out of and investigate and so on.

Most of the folks I know of who have dogs.. Well the dogs are happy so long as their pet human is there to rub their ears and fill their doggy dish and take them for the occasional walk.

I rather like having my own bed to sleep in, MY own kitchen to cook in and so on.

As for KOA.. The nick name is KEEP ON ADDING,, I'd not call them all that inexpensive... Even with their discount for club membership.

Now: I have two Campground Memberships. Between the two of them if I wish, in the summertime I can camp all summer for $0.00, yes $0.00 (After my dues which are about 90/month)

Or for that same 90 dollars.. I could spend a night in KOA on a class A Site.... .... Now you know why I have the memberships.

had to pay a few thousand for the two of 'em (About six total) but all summer for less than 100/month and all winter for about 200/month. v/s KOA prices... Well, you get the picture.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/17 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm going to add that while people who enjoy travel think it's a wasted life, there is NOTHING wrong with not traveling.

If you don't like traveling, then don't feel pressured into doing it.

Personally, I don't do hot weather. So while I think it'd be really cool to go on safari and see lions, etc., on the savana, I'm not doing that. I'd be miserable the entire time. Instead, I accept that this is something not for me. I don't regret it - I accept it.

Don't listen to people when they tell you what you have to do to have a "good life". Figure it out for yourself.

You mentioned that you did some traveling this holiday season - did you use the truck tent that you mentioned in another thread? Figure out if it was being in a "tent", setting it up, or being away from home that was the problem. Be honest with yourself.

For centuries, most people never left their village for their entire lives. They weren't regretful. They had full lives. If you don't like traveling, then don't travel.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

bikendan

Camano Island, Wash.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/17 11:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One thing not mentioned is how BIG the West is.

You'll find that a lot of your time will be spent driving, from place to place, therefore increasing your time away from home.

Dan- Firefighter">, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur">, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP">), 2007 Chevrolet Avalanche LS, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/Equalizer and Prodigy, and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

breeves2245

Northwest Arkansas

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/17 02:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Appreciate all the feedback. I like the suggestion of 2gypsies. Rent a class B or C. I think if I knew I was going for say seven days or so and would be back home, I'd be good with that. This spring I am going to give it a go to maybe Colorado with a B or C rental. Take the dog and head out and just see how it goes. I am not totally travel adverse but I think sometimes the stress is being in other people's homes. I feel captive to some degree. If I wake up at 5:30 and I know no one else is up, how do I go about making coffee without any noise? That type of thing. Maybe having my own house in the form of a B or C I will find out this ain't too bad and just get over it.

Thanks again.

BizmarksMom

Idaho

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/17 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That is definitely the big plus to having your own rolling apartment! The fridge is stocked with stuff you like. The bed is made the way you like it. You get up and make coffee when you want to. You go to bed as early or late as you want to.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Explore Western US without an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS