|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Explore Western US without an RV

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
Sponsored By:
Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/17 06:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And I know who has slept in the bed every night since the last time the sheets were changed!

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

Roy&Lynne

Pacific Northwest

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/17 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Amtrak has packaged deals for Yellowstone/Glacier that look really nice, but a bit pricey. And many of the National Parks have old CCC lodges that I would think would be wonderful to stay at. State parks often have cabins. You just have to decide where you want to go and start working on reservations.

Our Road Less Traveled

Aridon

Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/01/17 09:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd agree with those who recommend you try and C or a B type RV. The dog can come with you. The rv can be your retreat. Honestly if you can't deal with leaving your home any type of travel will be a burden for you. However if you can be comfortable in the RV, start by making small trips and getting used to it, you can then expand the length of time you are gone slowly.

I'd think living in a motel or on a train for weeks at a time would drive someone like you nuts. I don't think that is viable.

Good luck.

2014.5 DRV Atlanta (sold)

2008 Newmar 4330 (Modified) Sold

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland Eastern Shore

View Profile

Posted: 01/01/17 10:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dude you need to come over the hill & drive up & down the Atlantic states to see what anxious driving is all about.

Renting a class B or small C would be the way to go to get a taste of RVing. Flying & renting a car would be extremely expensive.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/17 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like your phobia if you call it that is just being extra conscientious or cautious on someone else's turf.
Go rent a camper, load the dog and a couple flats of beer and have a good time!
Wake up to the mountains, water, woods, whatever and I'm pretty sure you'll have a good time.

03 Arctic Fox 860
07 Dodge 2500, Mega, 4wd, 5.9 G56, BD Triple Dog, SB ceramic clutch, Industrial Injection Dragonfly Injectors, GDP 2 micron filter, Firestone Bags, Big Wig swaybar, homemade stable loads, ATI viib damper and a BD Brake

Chock Full o' Nuts

GA

View Profile

Posted: 01/03/17 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

breeves2245 wrote:

I don't care to travel because it makes me anxious. This is an understatement for those who know me. But I do want to see the sights of the western US. I was thinking of a truck camper but after a few road trips over the holidays to visit relatives in other states, I am rethinking this idea. Single Joe, so only me. Is it practical to visit some of the national parks buy flying nearby, renting a car and staying at a cabin if they are available? Just don't want to bite off a one ton Ram and truck camper and find out this ain't for me. I see where Cruise America started a pilot program to rent truck/campers. Perhaps a trial run may help me decide. I want to see the parks and sights, just really don't care to be on the road away from home for extended periods of time.

Breeves, you can totally do it this way. DH and I had to stop towing about 3 years ago, due to a number of health reasons, not the least of which was severe PTSD following a bad wreck. Now, if we want to go somewhere other than where we have to camper parked, we either drive or fly there. We either stay in a cabin or a hotel, whatever is available. We will rent a car if we have to. We haven't attempted to rent a MH yet, but maybe we will.

"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

joegray

British Columbia, Canada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I felt like that I think I would invest in a big TV,subscribe to travel channels,rent a lot of DVDs,sit back with a nice cup of coffee or whatever and enjoy the show.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think there is a difference between not liking to travel and not liking to stay at people's houses. That's why I suggest the OP figure out what part of traveling he doesn't like. The solution for someone who doesn't like to drive versus someone who doesn't like to stay in hotels versus someone who doesn't like to stay with relatives are all different. If it's truly not liking to be away from home then an RV might make that more bearable - if it's not like being away from your S&B, then it won't work.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)

mileshuff

Phoenix, AZ.

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/17 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You'll miss a lot of good places to see if you don't like to drive. You can fly into Vegas or Phoenix, drive a few hours to the Grand Canyon for instance. But there are numerous other sites in the region. Monument Valley, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Canyon de Chelly, etc. which are several hours further drive.

2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Explore Western US without an RV
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS