RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: How bad are converters on batteries?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How bad are converters on batteries?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
Sponsored By:
afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 09:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm finishing up my first trip out and about to put the trailer into storage for the next 4-5 months. I have indoor climate controlled storage with power available. My question is how bad will a modern 3 stage converter really be to a marine battery over that period of time. Do I really need to go out and buy a charger that costs half as much as a new battery (I can't imagine the cheap Chinese junk is any better than the converter) or will I still have a working battery come Spring? Also what is the failure mode for overcharged lead acid batteries? Any chance for fire or flames?

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/16 10:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I always left my converter ON when in storage. No damage done.

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 10:25pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A good converter isn't "bad" at all.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
H0NDA eu2000i

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 12/30/16 11:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A modern multistage converter should be not hard on the battery at all for that length of time. It would be a good idea to check and top up if needed the battery electrolyte at the start if that hasn't been done recently.

Since this is winter in a relatively cold climate, you could also charge the battery fully and disconnect it for the few months of winter and it wouldn't self-discharge too much. But with power available it hardly makes sense to do that.

Ava

Vancouver Island. BC Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/16 11:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It is the older converters that do not have a three stage charging cycle that are hard on batteries. The continuous charge on older units can boil the battery dry if not checked on regularly as far as I understand.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/30/16 11:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If that modern converter is a WFCO all bets are off. Measure the voltage after a week and see if you actually see storage mode at 13.2 volts.

Regardless you still need to check the water level periodically.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 06:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If you are concerned about overcharging, buy a cheap mechanical lamp timer and install it between the power source and the charger. Set it to run for a couple hours per day.

Next time you are shopping for a house battery make sure to get a TRUE deep discharge battery. Most "marine" batteries are dual purpose and therefore are a compromise between starting and powering things.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 06:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

I have indoor climate controlled storage with power available. My question is how bad will a modern 3 stage converter really be to a marine battery over that period of time. Do I really need to go out and buy a charger that costs half as much as a new battery ...

Lucky you with indoor heated storage with power! [emoticon] If I had that luxury I'd just make sure the battery was properly watered and plug the trailer into power so the converter can maintain battery charge. If that doesn't suit you remove the battery, take it home, and invest in a good stand alone charger ... so what if it costs "half as much as a new battery"? ... it's cost amortized over the many years you'll use it will amount to pennies a day.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 07:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

If that modern converter is a WFCO all bets are off. Measure the voltage after a week and see if you actually see storage mode at 13.2 volts.

Regardless you still need to check the water level periodically.

See, that was my worry. It's a two hour round trip (during good weather) to my storage so the chances of me going during the next few months are pretty much nill. I think I'll pick up a timer and just set it to go for an hour or two a day which should be plenty to keep up with the small parasitic loss from the CO/LP detector and the stereo (or should I pull the stereo fuse?).

sonora

West Bend Wi.

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 08:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ava wrote:

It is the older converters that do not have a three stage charging cycle that are hard on batteries. The continuous charge on older units can boil the battery dry if not checked on regularly as far as I understand.

Would a mid 90's converter be an "older" one?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How bad are converters on batteries?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS