RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: How bad are converters on batteries?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How bad are converters on batteries?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
prichardson

Lafayette, La

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would charge fully, ensure proper water level, make sure the top is clean and dry and disconnect the battery. With any charging system, the water level needs to be monitored.

cyntdon2010

Jacksonville, Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 08:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

check battery water every month..

2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 08:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sonora wrote:

Ava wrote:

It is the older converters that do not have a three stage charging cycle that are hard on batteries. The continuous charge on older units can boil the battery dry if not checked on regularly as far as I understand.

Would a mid 90's converter be an "older" one?

Yes,chances are good it is an older one.
If you would post the make and model of your converter someone will be able to tell you whether it is a "modern" one with the 3 or 4 stage charging circuit.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch
2016 Ram Laramie 2500, 6.7L CTD, 4x4, SB
Visit our website here

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Well.. you stated a modern 3-stage converter.

A good 3-stage will baby your batteries and not damage them at all.

HOWEVFER, that said yes, there are failure modes.. The most COMMON failure mode for the converter most likely to fail is "Wont' go into Bulk (or Boost) mode,, This will not damage your batteries.. Just takes forever to re-dcharge when you are using the RV.

There are other failure modes however

NO CHARGE, period, total failure of converter.. This Short term, won't hurt anything but the batteries over time will run down

And the other failure mode which is very rare is over voltage (Leaky pass transistor for examnple) this will boil the batteries dry over time, and if allowed to continue can, in theory, cause a minor explosion and a major fire.

But,,,, in 12 years of cursing the forums.. I have NEVER heard of that from a modern 3 stage converter. Only from one that was discontinued last century and then no fires.. Just dry batteries.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

Matt_Colie

Southeast Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sonora wrote:

Sorry,
But without the make and model number, nobody can tell you. There were some good converters at that time, but they were few.

Matt

Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

ksg5000

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

sonora wrote:

Maybe/probably? If you know the model number - post. If you don't have ready access then measure the electric output ... older converters often put out a constant 13.6 volts which tended to deplete the battery water and those who didn't maintain water ended up with dead batteries.

Kevin

rskrbina

NW Missouri

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 12/31/16 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

time2roll wrote:

If that modern converter is a WFCO all bets are off. Measure the voltage after a week and see if you actually see storage mode at 13.2 volts.

Regardless you still need to check the water level periodically.

See, that was my worry. It's a two hour round trip (during good weather) to my storage so the chances of me going during the next few months are pretty much nill. I think I'll pick up a timer and just set it to go for an hour or two a day which should be plenty to keep up with the small parasitic loss from the CO/LP detector and the stereo (or should I pull the stereo fuse?).

Hello Andy. Use your battery disconnect switch and you won't have to worry about parasitic loads while storing your rv.

Sorry, I read your post a little closer, please disregard.

* This post was edited 12/31/16 12:54pm by rskrbina *

Rudy, Jenny and Garrett
2014 Thor.. Four Winds 35SK Super C..F-550..6.7 Diesel
CRV, F-150 & Wrangler Sahara Toads..TST Tire monitor

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 12:43pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

theoldwizard1 wrote:

If you are concerned about overcharging, buy a cheap mechanical lamp timer and install it between the power source and the charger. Set it to run for a couple hours per day.

Next time you are shopping for a house battery make sure to get a TRUE deep discharge battery. Most "marine" batteries are dual purpose and therefore are a compromise between starting and powering things.

Yup, plan to upgrade to 2x golf cart batteries, the marine unit was what the dealer included in their prep package and I'm not even sure how much dry camping we'll be doing.

2017 KZ Sportsmen Classic 181BH
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 long bed
E2 WDH

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 12:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

rskrbina wrote:

afidel wrote:

time2roll wrote:

If that modern converter is a WFCO all bets are off. Measure the voltage after a week and see if you actually see storage mode at 13.2 volts.

Regardless you still need to check the water level periodically.

See, that was my worry. It's a two hour round trip (during good weather) to my storage so the chances of me going during the next few months are pretty much nill. I think I'll pick up a timer and just set it to go for an hour or two a day which should be plenty to keep up with the small parasitic loss from the CO/LP detector and the stereo (or should I pull the stereo fuse?).

Hello Andy. Use your battery disconnect switch and you won't have to worry about parasitic loads while storing your rv.

None in my trailer and I was going to add one but the most logical place would be at the tongue box but then the converter can't keep it topped up and 5 months of loss would be bad for battery health. I think I'll just try with the converter on a timer this season and see how it goes.

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 12/31/16 01:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Why not just get a maintainer and hook that up to the battery. They are only $20-50 and are automatic.

Wife Kim ">
Son Brandon 13yrs">
Daughter Marissa 12yrs">
Dog Bailey ">

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!">

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> How bad are converters on batteries?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS