RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Is installing a hitch receiver a reasonable DIY job?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is installing a hitch receiver a reasonable DIY job?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
Bedlam

PNW

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 01:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Using 6-point sockets and a 1/2" impact wrench makes quick work of it. If you do not have an impact, make sure you have a long breaker bar and long enough extensions to swing the breaker. The hardest part will be getting the old receiver off the truck.

Honda Passport C70B-Interstate 20' Car Carrier-Joyner SandViper 250-Kawasaki Concours ZG1000-Paros 8' flatbed-Pelican Decker DLX-Ram 5500 HD-Tank Urban Touring 150SE-VW 1200sp-VW Jetta TDI

Awaiting Spring delivery of our Host Mammoth...

dodge guy

Bartlett IL

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 02:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kokotg wrote:

MFL wrote:

You should have no problem swapping the receivers. It is pretty straight forward, just follow torque instructions to keep it secure. Best be sure tow vehicle is up to the capability, to match the new receiver. There may have been a reason it had a light duty set up.

Happy wrenching,
Jerry

Trailer has a heavy hitch since it's a toy hauler....It's 7000 pounds dry, and our van's tow capacity is 10,000 pounds (which is right at the max weight of the new trailer, but we'll never come close to that; the main "toys" we're going to haul are bikes and maybe kayaks--we figure we'll top out at maybe 8500 or for a long trip). Current hitch receiver is only rated for 1000 pounds, and Jayco lists the dry hitch weight at 985.

I can promise you, you will be closer to 9k lbs loaded for a trip! 12.5% of that would be around 1125 properly loaded tongue weight.
So yes get a hitch rated for around 12k/1200 and you will be good.
And yes it is easy. With 2 people even easier. If you can loosen and tighten bolts you will have no problem. I would maybe also have a MAP gas torch handy for stubborn rusty bolts!

Wife Kim ">
Son Brandon 13yrs">
Daughter Marissa 12yrs">
Dog Bailey ">

07 Cherokee 32B
02 Excursion 4X4 V-10 4.30 gear 5Star tuner Y-pipe mod Hellwig sway bar
Reese DualCam, Prodigy brake controller

A bad day of camping is
better than a good day at work!">

73guna

Omaha, Ne.

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/17 12:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed a B&W hitch on my truck.
Its a three piece bolt together design.
Made the install much more simple.
1,600lb tongue, 16,000lb trailer.

http://www.turnoverball.com/products/receiver-hitches/16k-heavy-duty-receiver-hitch

2007 Silverado Crewcab Duramax.
2016 Wildwood 31qbts.

tmm2good

Arvada, CO

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/17 04:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

kokotg wrote:

MFL wrote:

You should have no problem swapping the receivers. It is pretty straight forward, just follow torque instructions to keep it secure. Best be sure tow vehicle is up to the capability, to match the new receiver. There may have been a reason it had a light duty set up.

Happy wrenching,
Jerry

Trailer has a heavy hitch since it's a toy hauler....It's 7000 pounds dry, and our van's tow capacity is 10,000 pounds (which is right at the max weight of the new trailer, but we'll never come close to that; the main "toys" we're going to haul are bikes and maybe kayaks--we figure we'll top out at maybe 8500 or for a long trip). Current hitch receiver is only rated for 1000 pounds, and Jayco lists the dry hitch weight at 985.

If you are only carrying light weight toys in your toy hauler, your hitch weight is going to be easily 1K lbs. There is a reason your van has a lighter weight hitch on it. What is the payload capacity of your van? and how much "stuff" do you carry in the van before throwing 1000 lbs on the receiver hitch? Just wondering..

13 GMC Denali Dually D/A
12 Keystone Fuzion 301
Motorcycles / ATV's

mike-s

Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/17 07:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Simple to do. The critical thing is making sure the bolts are correctly torqued before using it. If there's not a suitable torque wrench available, install it with the bolts good and snug, then take it to a pro who does have one for final tightening.

Hammerboy

Zeeland, MI

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/17 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I know etrailer.com has a lot of installation videos that may my helpful

Dan

2013 Chevy crew 2500 HD Duramax
2017 Wildcat 29rlx fifth wheel

kokotg

Metro Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/17 07:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

tmm2good wrote:

kokotg wrote:

MFL wrote:

Happy wrenching,
Jerry

If you are only carrying light weight toys in your toy hauler, your hitch weight is going to be easily 1K lbs. There is a reason your van has a lighter weight hitch on it. What is the payload capacity of your van? and how much "stuff" do you carry in the van before throwing 1000 lbs on the receiver hitch? Just wondering..

Payload capacity is just over 2700 pounds, and we don't pack anything in the van except us (there are a lot of us; two adults, two teenagers, one tween, and a preschooler....hence the van for towing) and 3 small dogs (they weigh about 60 pounds altogether). the dogs are the only thing past the rear axle. Van is a Ford e350 V10.

Camping with 4 boys and 3 dogs in a Jayco Octane Superlite 272
Blogging at Boxy Colonial on the Road

kokotg

Metro Atlanta, GA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/07/17 07:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hammerboy wrote:

I know etrailer.com has a lot of installation videos that may my helpful

Dan

I've been on there a lot lately, but I haven't watched the videos yet--we'll take a look!

J&R

jefferson,ga

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/17 07:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Reese 12000 hitch we took off of our 03 ford E350 van. Bolted on with same holes as factory 10000 hitch. It's yours for free. Tried to sell it but shipping was killer. PM me if interested, up here in Jefferson, ga. Moderator not selling, just trying to help another member.
'

Ron & Joanne 06 Revolution LE 40E

carringb

Corvallis, OR

View Profile

Posted: 01/07/17 07:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

E350 us super easy to install a hitch onto. Some heavier hitches do require drilling two extra holes (the front two) but even that isn't too bad, using a good bit and lots of oil.

Bryan

2000 Ford E350 DRW Wagon, V10 - 400,000+ miles!
2014 CreekSide 31KQBS (QuadSlide bunkhouse)
2015 Ford Fiesta 0.999L EcoBoost

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Is installing a hitch receiver a reasonable DIY job?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS