|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Running roof ac while driving

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next
Sponsored By:
Thestigmach1

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 04:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm preparing to make a long trip and buying a travel trailer. It will be something a bit older like early 2000s and around 24ftish. I'd like to be able to have my dogs ride in the trailer while traveling. I know this controversial but I've weighed the benefits and risks and I'm ok with it. Also there's no where else for them to ride. Way to big to ride in the cab, and the reason for posting here too hot to ride in the bed with a camper shell. A big problem that I'm presented with is the heat. Is it possible, and safe to wire up an generator that would ride on the back to run the ac in the camper? I'd have it sit on one of those receiver hitch platforms. How much power do these really pull? I'd like to run the fridge too but that's optional. How long could I run off the house batteries? Im talking 2000 miles of driving most likely almoat non stop ( ill have multiple drivers) Maybe wire the batteries to charge off my truck battery? I did that with an winch on my car trailer.

Sprink-Fitter

Anywhere we want to be.

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 04:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You can't run the air conditioning at all on the batteries you can run it on the generator everybody does.

2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

Huntindog

Abiline TX USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 04:43am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I am one of the few here that have actually set up a TT to do this. It CAN be done. But it won't be easy or cheap. And for most it won't be practical. If you cannot do the mods that are necessary yourself, it will be VERY expensive.

I installed a Onan Microquiet 4.0 using their underfloor mounting kit. I was wired with a ATF. I used about 45' of the thickest welding cable from it to the batteries. The genset was mounted just forward of the axles for best weight distribution. I installed a custom stainless steel 26 gallon gas tank for it. A fuel pressure regulator was used to prevent the carb from flooding from over pressure when climbing hills. A custom fire shield was installed.
All of this stuff required many hours of fabrication and a lot of welding.
It was a really slick setup, and was trouble free for over 1500 hours and many years until a lightening strike fried the genset.

I posted on threads about this with pics on this forum back then. If you are interested in more details, a search should turn it up.
It was before 2010, when I bought my present TT. I did not make this mod to it. Too much work, and the little Hondas do a fine job for me now.

Dog

DutchmenSport

Between Anderson, Pendleton, & Lapel, Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 06:25am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In all practical theory, I see no reason why you could not run an air conditioner from a generator on your TT. After all, folks driving motor homes do this all the time. Their campers are equipped with the same air conditioners too. Figure out a safe and practical way to mount the generator and run the wire and it should work. Good luck!

DutchmenSport

You really need to think in terms of what is the ultimate extreme usage you'll be experiencing with your truck, not what is the lightest usage and hope it's OK when the extreme happens. - I quote myself.

Mfan

Otsego,Mi

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 06:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It will work. But how will you know if there is a problem?

boosTT

Milwaukee

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 06:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Can you just leave the roof vents open and a window cracked? I'm picturing a dog head sticking out of a trailer window. hahah

rdmike

South Dakota

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a dog and would not do it. What happens if the gen stops or ac trips? Will you know it? A dog stands a better chance with windows open that they can reach to breath out of.

Fleetwood Providence 39L
Ford Fiesta Toad
Retired, spending our winters in Thailand / spring - fall traveling the great USA

llowllms

Crawford, Tn. USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 07:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I was wondering, why bother? After hooking up the water hook up the a/c and it will be cool in your rig while finishing up outside.

TomG2

Central Illinois

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not that big a deal to run a generator in the bed of a pickup with the trailer plugged into it while towing. Many have done it. Easy to monitor and dogs will be cool. Get a big enough generator. 3500 watts is a great match for the trailer you mentioned.

hohenwald48

Nashville, TN

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 07:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

llowllms wrote:

I was wondering, why bother? After hooking up the water hook up the a/c and it will be cool in your rig while finishing up outside.

You might want to re-read the question.

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2015 Open Range 216 RBS
2013 Nissan Armada Platinum

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 8  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> Running roof ac while driving
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS