|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question on voltage monitors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TJames1974

Beaverton, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok so I took everyone's advice and bought a progressive industries voltage monitor for our new 5th wheel. The guy who was helping me put stuff together gave me a 30 amp one. My trailer has a 50 amp cord and while they say I wont need 50 amp could I exchange the 30 amp for a 50 amp monitor and use it for both when I dont have a 50 amp connection? if I am only plugged into a 30 amp connection my electronics knowledge says no issue with a 50 amp monitor but not knowing these particular units will the 50 amp think the voltage is to low when only plugged into 30 amp. I would think plugging into 50 amp when I have it is the best option. sorry if the question seems silly but i am still trying to learn here. Thanks for the replies in advance

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 01:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Since you have a 50 amp rig it only makes sense to also have a 50 amp Progressive EMS ... if at times you want to plug into 30 amp service just also have on hand a 30 amp Male > 50 amp Female Dogbone.

* This post was edited 01/06/17 01:47pm by SoundGuy *

Mandalay Parr

Phoenix, AZ

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 02:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Since you have a 50 amp rig it only makes sense to also have a 50 amp Progressive EMS ... if at times you want to plug into 30 amp service just also have on hand a 30 amp Male > 50 amp Female Dogbone.

X2

Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE
SKYWARN Weather Spotter

nineoaks2004

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 03:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think the guy that assisted you was trying to sell 30 amp units, If yours is 50 Amp then that is what you should use, you can pick up an adapter as described above..

By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

wa8yxm

Wherever I happen to park

View Profile

Posted: 01/06/17 03:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

In fact unless you are ALWAYS going to be on 30 amp sites.. YOU really need a unit that matches your 50 amp RV

If you had a 30 amp RV you could use either size (I'd recommend a 50 cause you may wish to upgrade some day)

but with a 50 amp rig you must use a 50, on 50 amp sites as well as 30 (With an adapter, Same adapter you need now) it will work.

Home is where I park it.
Kenwood TS-2000 housed in a 2005 Damon Intruder 377

TJames1974

Beaverton, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 04:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you for all the replies. It makes sense to me and that confirms what I was thinking. I think the fact that they had it hooked to 30 amp at the dealer using the 50 to 30 adapter which they gave me is probably why they sold me a 30. since I have a 50 amp hookup on the 5th wheel I figured I would hook 50 on all chances I can and having a 50 amp surge protector makes sense

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/06/17 04:54pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Absolutely get the 50 amp protector with a 50 amp RV.

One of the biggest issues is a loose neutral causing high voltage on one leg and low voltage on the other. If you plug into 50 amp power all the 30 amp does is become a fuse.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/08/17 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TJames1974 wrote:

Thank you for all the replies. It makes sense to me and that confirms what I was thinking. I think the fact that they had it hooked to 30 amp at the dealer using the 50 to 30 adapter which they gave me is probably why they sold me a 30. since I have a 50 amp hookup on the 5th wheel I figured I would hook 50 on all chances I can and having a 50 amp surge protector makes sense

Presumably you understand the 50 amp version of Progressive EMS is going to cost you more than the 30 amp initially sold to you, 'though you might attempt to convince the dealer that because they sold you the incorrect unit they should cover that additional cost. Out of curiosity, just which Progressive unit did they sell you? [emoticon]

Secondly, you presumably also realize there's a HUGE difference (i.e. 70 amps) between 30 amp RV service (i.e. 3600 watts) and 50 amp RV service (i.e. 12,000 watts) since the former is 30 amps across just one leg whereas the latter is 50 amps across each of two legs. That's a BIG difference and to take full advantage of the fact your rig is wired for 50 amp service you want to be plugging your 50 amp rig into a 50 amp campsite source using a 50 amp Progressive EMS whenever that power source is available. At other times when only 30 amp service is available simply plug into that source using a 50 amp female > 30 amp male dogbone, keeping in mind that your total draw will be restricted to just 30 amps.

TJames1974

Beaverton, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/08/17 11:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They sold me the one that plugs in to the power box at the campground. I asked about the one that measures high and low and all the other problems people have talked about. it is guaranteed if something happens to it that you send it in and they reset it and send it back. I don't remember the exact model number but I looked at it last time I went out to the trailer at the storage lot and it was a 30 amp. I know the 50 is going to cost me more but I figure since I have a 50 amp trailer I should run 50 amp much as I can and I don't know why they sold me a 30 amp. I wasn't paying attention as that was the day we did PDI on our new 5th wheel

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/17 06:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TJames1974 wrote:

They sold me the one that plugs in to the power box at the campground. I asked about the one that measures high and low and all the other problems people have talked about.

So what you have is a Progressive Industries EMS-PT30C but what you should have been supplied with is an EMS-PT50C. Since the EMS-PT30C and EMS-PT50C series has been discontinued and is being replaced by the EMS-PT30X and EMS-PT50X you might want to negotiate to get the newer EMS-PT50X instead of the previous EMS-PT50C.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question on voltage monitors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS