|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question on voltage monitors

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev
Sponsored By:
spike99

North America

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/17 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I had a 50 AMP trailer, I'd buy a 50 AMP EMS / Surge protector system.

Allworth

Orlando, FL

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/09/17 11:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They sold you a 30Amp unit because you didn't know any better and they had one in stock that they wanted to get rid of. Bad customer service and worse ethics.

They should give you full purchase price credit toward the purchase of a 50Amp Progressive EMS. If they don't see it that way, you might want to discuss it with the BBB and or the consumer watchdog at your local TV station. It is amazing what a little bad press can do. BUT only if really necessary!

Formerly posting as "littleblackdog"
Martha, Allen, & Blackjack
2006 Chevy 3500 D/A LB SRW, RVND 7710
2008 Titanium 30E35SA; EZ-Lube axles; wet bolts; spring hanger gussetts; BFG Commercial TAs
"Real Jeeps have round headlights"

FLY 4 FUN

Alberta

View Profile

Posted: 01/09/17 06:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a 50A rig, yet we have never had 50a service however I still got the hardwired 50A ems unit. Costly, but for sure worth it to me. If I ever travel to somewhere with 50a available im covered. Hope you can get the right setup for your rig.

Daryll

2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 12:45pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Allworth wrote:

They sold you a 30Amp unit because you didn't know any better and they had one in stock that they wanted to get rid of. Bad customer service and worse ethics.

Maybe, maybe not, but since you weren't there you don't really know the true facts of the matter. Not a lot of dealership parts departments even stock surge protectors / EMS units and often if a customer wants one the dealer would have to order one in. It's entirely possible this particular person assisting the OP wasn't as familiar with these EMS units as perhaps he should have been ... that may qualify as not the best service but it's hardly "worse ethics". [emoticon]

Walaby

Georgia

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 01:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

SoundGuy wrote:

Allworth wrote:

Maybe, maybe not, but since you weren't there you don't really know the true facts of the matter. Not a lot of dealership parts departments even stock surge protectors / EMS units and often if a customer wants one the dealer would have to order one in. It's entirely possible this particular person assisting the OP wasn't as familiar with these EMS units as perhaps he should have been ... that may qualify as not the best service but it's hardly "worse ethics". [emoticon]

I agree, and there should be some amount of responsibility on the consumer that they make/made the ultimate decision. While the consumer, in this case, may have received bad information or bad advice to consider that 'worse ethics', and warranting a BBB report, well, Im thinking that's a bit of an over reach.

Mike

2014 Ram 2500 CTD
2016 Lacrosse 324RST

TJames1974

Beaverton, Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/16/17 12:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OK quick follow-up to this little issue with having the wrong EMS. I took it back on friday and asked why if I had a 50 amp trailer they sold me a 30 amp ems. honest mistake the guy thought I had bought a 30 amp unit. they gave me full credit of the 30 to exchange it for a 50X and discounted the price difference even. I am happy with that and the dealer I feel was fair. Thanks for all the info

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/16/17 01:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TJames1974 wrote:

they gave me full credit of the 30 to exchange it for a 50X and discounted the price difference even.

Great outcome, and despite claims to the contrary by naysayers just an honest mistake originally selling you the 30 amp version.

djgodden

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/26/17 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What's better? The installed model or the plug in? I'm wondering from a failure perspective. If the installed model fails, are you out of power? If the plug in fails, just unplug it.

I'm looking to put in a EMS-HW50C.

2012 Ram 2500 4x4 Lariat Longhorn 6.7 CTR HO, Edge Insight CTS, Extreme Tow/Haul brakes, aFePower Diff cover, LL 5000 bags, 285/70R17, Reese Q20 w/slider. 2005 Montana 2955RL w/400w solar, Renogy MPPT, 4 x 6v @ 12VDC (450AH), 3000w Inverter, King VQ4100.

SoundGuy

S Ontario

View Profile

Posted: 01/26/17 03:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

djgodden wrote:

What's better? The installed model or the plug in? I'm wondering from a failure perspective. If the installed model fails, are you out of power? If the plug in fails, just unplug it.

I'm looking to put in a EMS-HW50C.

The portable versions can be "bypassed" by simply removing them from the circuit, the hard wire versions have a bypass switch which when in bypass leaves the surge protection part of the unit active but disables the rest. Obviously, if the unit has been severely damaged there's no guarantee that bypass would work. If this is a concern for you simply install the hard wire version using standard RV connectors as I've done, in your case using 50 amp versions. Pics are in my gallery starting here.

2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
Details & Upgrades + EU2000i Quiet Box

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> Question on voltage monitors
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS