RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Glacier National Park

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier National Park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Sponsored By:
caysea7254

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 07:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ok my DH and I are always changing our minds where we want to vacation. We have 17 days and now are planning a late july vacation. Had planned on Colorado Springs and RMNP. Dh is now looking at possible Glacier National Park. It looks to be about a 27 hour drive for us but I'm sure that is based on 70mph and pulling our 36ft 5th wheel we drive around 62mph. Would love suggestions on the routes and stop overs from people driving from Indiana to Glacier or anywhere in Midwest. Last year we were out in Teton National park and Yellowstone and seemed to have plenty of time. Thanks Tara

">Tara

Ernest

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We went out there from PA in 2014. It took us 4 days. Our first stop was a Love's truck stop just North of Chicago. We did a Flying J out in Minnesota. We stop at a campground just off the highway in North Dakota.

If you have the time and passports you're just a day south of Banff. The Ice fields parkway is a site to see.

We stayed at North American RV in Glacier. It was a fantastic family run/owned campground.

Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog

Dick_B

Palos Heights, IL USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 08:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Possibly a side trip to Theodore Roosevelt NP one of the best kept secrets of vacation spots. It's worth at least a day...
Be sure to search this Forum for Glacier to get more ideas of what to do while there. Hopefully you all are in good enough shape to do a little hiking. Don't even consider driving the Sun road.

Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Ernest

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 08:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Possibly a side trip to Theodore Roosevelt NP one of the best kept secrets of vacation spots. It's worth at least a day...
Be sure to search this Forum for Glacier to get more ideas of what to do while there. Hopefully you all are in good enough shape to do a little hiking. Don't even consider driving the Sun road.

I'm sure you meant with the 5Th wheel.

But if you go to Glacier you have to drive the Going to the Sun Road.

Campfire Time

Wisconsin

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 09:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

caysea7254 wrote:

It looks to be about a 27 hour drive for us but I'm sure that is based on 70mph and pulling our 36ft 5th wheel we drive around 62mph.

My dad was an OTR truck driver. The rule for long distance travel planning is 2 hours for every 100 miles. I travel about the same speed you do when towing, this rule has always worked well for me when planning trips with the trailer.

Chuck D.
“Adventure is just bad planning.” - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid, 2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71

mikim

Rancho Cucamonga, CA USA

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 10:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Glacier is beautiful....as is the surrounding area. Prepare for rain. If you like to hike, bring Bear Spray and Bells to make noise. You need to see "Trick Falls".

Also, bring passport and go to Waterton National Park in Alberta, Canada. Beautiful National Park on the Canadian side of Glacier National Park.

The Flathead Lake area just Southwest of Glacier is beautiful, and we like to visit the little town of Big Fork, Montana.

5th wheel cannot go on the "Going to the Sun Road". Snow on top of the road is not uncommon during the summer.

ppine

Northern Nevada

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 11:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Coming from Indiana, the whole West is a wonderland. There are no bad decisions except driving too far and only going to National Parks.

vermilye

Oswego, NY, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 11:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After dropping your trailer, a run on the "Going to the Sun Road" in both directions is a must. My favorite drive, and different views in each direction. Another stop as long as you have dropped the trailer is a run on the West side of the park to the Polebridge Mercantile. Great sticky buns & cinnamon rolls!

While it may be difficult to find a site, Two Medicine is my favorite campground, although many prefer Many Glacier. All are dry camping.

Jon Vermilye Travel & Photo Web Pages ... My Collection of RV Blogs & Journals
My Travel Journal - Jon's Journeys
Lake McDonald, Glacier National Park, MT

RAS43

Littleton,CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 11:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

"But if you go to Glacier you have to drive the Going to the Sun Road."

Or let the park personnel do the driving by taking the Red Bus Tour. We did it in September and I got to see more of the park by not driving the sometimes narrow road crowded with vehicles.
And I second someone's suggestion about staying at North American RV Park, they were great.

naturist

Lynchburg, VA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 12:11pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

For sure you can't take a 36 foot 5th wheel on Going to the Sun Road. They won't allow it, and it would be suicidal to try it. Frankly, the best way to make that trip is via the FREE shuttle bus that will allow you to hop on and hop off at stops all along the way. It is a great experience, and beats hell out of driving and fighting the traffic. Going To the Sun Road is a narrow, 2 lane track that is often bumper-to-bumper in both directions. It is a twisty track you cannot travel quickly because of the traffic. But the views are second to none. Take your camera, and remember to dress warmly, because it is singularly beautiful at the top, but always cold. There is a reason they call it Glacier National Park.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS