RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Glacier National Park

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier National Park

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next
Sponsored By:
TenOC

On the road -- Full time

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 05:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Dick_B wrote:

Possibly a side trip to Theodore Roosevelt NP one of the best kept secrets of vacation spots.

[image]

While at the Norther section of TR NP.

Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

TenOC Photos

Veebyes

Bermuda & Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 06:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

What Campfire Time said. 60plus MPH is being very over optimistic. Traffic holdups, construction & potti breaks will kill that in no time. Even a 50MPH average is a tough one to maintain.

Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

rexlion

Broken Arrow OK

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 07:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I think you're on the right track; I like Glacier far better than RMNP. If you haven't been to Custer SP in the Mt. Rushmore area of SD, it's a worthwhile stopover area.

Mike G.
--currently in between trailers--
To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven... (Ecclesiastes 3)

STANG23L

Osceola, WI

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Two years ago I went to Glacier over the 4th of July. Was not able to get a site at the park but did stay not to far away at Glacier meadows. Made a great base camp. If your heading out on 90 I would also recommend taking a night to stay at the Devils tower KOA and explore the area. Truly was one of the highlights of the trip and worth the slight detour.

2014 Ram 1500 Eco Diesel

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 09:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We lived in Estes Park, CO right next to Rocky Mtn NP. And been to Glacier NP several times. Go to Glacier. If at all possible drive your own vehicle on Going To The Sun Road - TV or Toad. Then you are on YOUR schedule, not theirs. Hiking on the east side is fantastic!

DW of 54 great years, Barbara
2nd Best Friend-"Aussie" Terrier, Sadie
2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
2006 Chev 3500 3LT XCab 4x4 Dmax Allie

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

MinnCamper

Minnesota

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/17 10:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We were in Glacier last summer. We were coming from Minnesota so not as far as you. We stopped in Minot at a very nice state park. We always plan distance on 50 miles per hour even if you are driving faster. It allows for a few stops, slower traffic, etc.

We stayed at the KOA on the East side. While the campground itself was very nice and the location was great for the east side, if I did the trip over I'd only stay here a few nights versus our entire week. The only reason being that the wind on the east side was terrific and we couldn't even just sit outside and enjoy the scenery.

It's alot of driving just to get to Glacier and then once you're there you need to continue driving to get to other areas of the park, but the drives are all scenic and definitely worth it. I definitely reommend going to Waterton Lakes and if you have additional time heading up to Banff and Lake Louise.

Also, make sure to take one of the boat rides in the park. The scenery and relaxing atmosphere are very special. The guides also give additional information on the park.

Ernest

PA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 01:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nearly forgot.
If you have the time we did a Flathead River Run with Glacier Rafting and it was a Hoot!

Ernest & Joanne
2000 Tradewinds 300 CAT
2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited
Travelingonthetradewinds.blogspot.com 2014 Alaska Blog

caysea7254

Indiana

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 04:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you everyone for your comments and helpful information. We are still up in the air as to which area we will go. Both look like a worth while vacation! One just a lot closer than the other!! [emoticon] Thanks again! Tara

">Tara

TURNKEY

Saskatoon,Sask,Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/17 10:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Things to consider in GNP.
-The east side of the park is usually much dryer as it is in the rain shadow of the Rockies.
-The west side is more developed and is closer to supply towns due to the east side of the park abutting a large reservation.
-There are many more services and campgrounds etc on west side IF YOU LIKE THAT!
-If you want a quiet, scenic campsite with few amenities a few miles out of a small town I would recommend Two Medicine Campground,
-Many Glacier has better hiking.
- you really have to check out the Highline Trail that starts at Logan Pass Visitor Center. It is a beautiful trail(that has some height exposure) but is quite level and you start at the TOP of the mountain. You don't have to do all 11 miles just go as far as you want.

TURNKEY">

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/18/17 10:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ernest wrote:

But if you go to Glacier you have to drive the Going to the Sun Road.
Is driving it better than the tour bus?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675 watts solar
Send a PM if I missed something

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Glacier National Park
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS