RV.Net Open Roads Forum: RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions: Grand Canyon in Winter

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Grand Canyon in Winter

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
TragedyTrousers

Fl

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 03:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Anyone ever camp in Grand Canyon during winter? I was thinking of going around Christmas and New Years. Thinking of camping at Mather CG and would luv to see the Canyon in snow.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/10/17 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

NatGeo

NPS

If you had searched on "south rim winter" you would have found the above and more.

Glendale Titanium 29E34TS fifth wheel
2012 Ford F-350 4WD Lariat 6.7L
PullRite OE Series Super5th 18K
Superbumper

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 03:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not camping, but drove there once a number of yrs ago in mid December, a day after a heavy snowfall. Absolutely stunning. Apparently the snow had scared off everyone else. I was alone at almost every overlook. Clear blue sky, dead calm, about 40 degrees, and so quiet you could actually hear the river at a couple of the overlooks. A once in a lifetime experience.

* This post was edited 01/10/17 03:46pm by BB_TX *

rv2go

Fulltime 14 yrs (Knoxville, TN).or someplace else

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 03:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We got got in a light snow fall in April of 2001. The snow capped rocks were pretty.
I would go for Trailer Village in order to have the electric.

Winnebago Journey
TN Lic. RV 2 GO
Jeep Cherokee 4x4
I'm here #4335

Busskipper

Arnold,Md/Superior, CO

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 04:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TragedyTrousers wrote:

Anyone ever camp in Grand Canyon during winter? I was thinking of going around Christmas and New Years. Thinking of camping at Mather CG and would luv to see the Canyon in snow.

Truly Special!!!!

Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
MDX-FMCA--M&G Brake
States traveled in this Coach

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 06:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

TragedyTrousers wrote:

It's great, spent Christmas 2015 at trailer village. On Xmas Eve and Day the crowds weren't bad. Day after Xmas, the line to the gate was 6 miles long. I was smiling, leaving before the rush. Mostly California and Nevada plates coming in.

There wasn't much snow in the canyon itself, but there was plenty around the buildings... They were short about half their parking spaces due to huge piles of snow.

There was no water fill available due to extreme cold. Days were in the teens with strong wind chill, nights below zero.

2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2017 Ram 2500 4x4, 6.4 HEMI, 4.10 / Auto

2gypsies

Enjoying the West!

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 08:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Definitely stay in the park at Trailer Village RV so you could have electric for heat. Mather doesn't have electric and I'm not sure it's even open in winter. If you can drive there in snow it would be a very special place to be in winter. I've seen pictures of RVs there.

Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren

Sahuarita, AZ (or on the road!)

View Profile

Posted: 01/10/17 09:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

In March about three years ago we went there. I am now a professional photographer and I want to see in with snow. Well, we did! Got snowed into Trailer Village. I went out very carefully during the white out snowstorm and got some great shots. Then went out for the next day. As storms do it cleared out all the haze in the canyon and I got shots to die for. Two have won several prizes and I have printed them up to 36 to 48 inches on canvas and sold many.

See my website www.LaurensPix.com for some and / or when you have 8 1/2 minutes you can see my Youtube video that they second half is in this storm - great music as well. See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FY3j9G1g4sw

Enjoy but be safe.

Barbara-DW 54 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
19+ yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

www.LaurenBarbara.com

www.LaurensPix.com

RGar974417

Robesonia,Pa 19551

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/17 11:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I would make sure you have chains and a snow shovel. We have the kind that slip through the wheels. They go on easy and are made to get you out of a jam, not to drive many miles on. We were there in late April one year and had about 6" of snow on the ground then.

GordonThree

Northern Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/17 12:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

2gypsies wrote:

Definitely stay in the park at Trailer Village RV so you could have electric for heat. Mather doesn't have electric and I'm not sure it's even open in winter. If you can drive there in snow it would be a very special place to be in winter. I've seen pictures of RVs there.

It was open for 2015, and that campground was actually busier than Trailer Village. I don't know how those young people were staying warm, it was really cold with the wind chill, and that's from someone from Northern Michigan.

To the OP:
I don't know where my pictures went from that trip. I don't think I took many, because operating the camera with gloves was too much hassle. As I recall, there was 4-5" of snow on the ground in the campground. The roads were plowed, with patches of heavy ice.

The little cafe at Hermit's Rest was not serving food or beverage, but their gift store was open. Parking was VERY restricted out there, many spots were filled by the snow plow hills. Some folks with the fancy jeeps and toyotas saw those hills as a way to show off their expensive toys.

Expect icy walkways at the various overlooks, and icy parking lots. If you don't have some yet, get YAKTRAX (or other suitable slip-on traction devices) for everyone who will be out and about. The NPS does not use salt, they use volcanic cinder, which requires bright sun to work. The cinders themselves are also slippery when you walk on them over bare concrete.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Grand Canyon in Winter
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS