RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Class A Motorhomes: Firestone VS Bridgestone Class A Tire

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Firestone VS Bridgestone Class A Tire

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Flay Crosswell

Cumming, Ga

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 01:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is there a difference between the two brands? Goodyear G670 RV 275/70R 22.5 are on a class A DP that I am trading for and the dealer is replacing the 10 yr old Goodyear tires with one of the 2 Brands I mentioned . Thanks in advance Firestone/Bridgestone

Second Chance

Wherever...

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 02:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't have any experience with that class of tire (we own a fifth wheel with load range G tires), but we just replaced some Firestones that were on our car with Michelins. The Firestones were, by any measure, the worst set of tires I've ever owned. They slipped belts, developed flat spots, and were extremely noisy - all while relatively new with lots of tread on them. It's like driving a different car with the Michelins. I will never own another Firestone product again.

Rob

U.S. Army retired
2016 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MOR/ryde independent suspension, disc brakes, LR G tires
PullRite OEM 18K, Demco Glide Ride pin box
2012 F350 DRW Lariat 6.7
Wherever we are for however long we stay...

Ivylog

Blairsville, GA and WPB, FL.

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/17 02:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm very happy with the FS 400 315/80/22.5 on the front of my MH after five years. They are owned by the same company so doubtful there is any difference.

This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.

04 Monaco Dynasty 42' quad slide
How I tow.
Towing a Prius without a dolly
Where am I?
How I spend the winter.

bdpreece

Woodburn Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I installed six 295/75R22.5 Load range H FS591s in February 2015 and now have a aproximatly 20K on them. When I first left the dealer I thought the coach seemed to steer a little light or something but after about 200 miles I no longer noticed that. It was either the old tires were bad enough to cause harder steering or the new ones had to seat in a little. Very happy with the Firestone tires.

I have heard the horror stories about Firestone tires but not the truck sizes. According to the dealer both of the Stone tires are produced in the U.S. at the same plant. I buy U.S. made whenever possible.

Brian, Loretta & Daisy (Golden Retriever)

2008 Holiday Rambler Endeavor PDQ40
2014 Ford Explorer toad

DougE

New Braunfels, Texas USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 04:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Twice in my long driving career (I'm 72)Firestone has failed to take responsibility for a widely defective product. (I had to eat the cost of their first radial 500). Since Bridgestone now = Firestone I now include them. For a big rig I would go Michelin, Goodyear or Toyo.

2005 Leisure Sprinter Class B/2015 Honda CTX700

slickest1

canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 04:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have 2 years on a set of Firestone FS 561's and they are great.
Firestone is now made by Bridgestone so are of the same quality.

2000 H.R. Imperial 38wds rr8r roadmaster, isc 350 cummins
2007 Chevy Trailblazer, Blue ox towbar
Ready Brake with breakaway.

mtofell1

Oregon

View Profile

Posted: 01/11/17 05:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Sounds like they are pretty much the same. I'll add another vote against both. Firestone and Bridgestone tires are by far the worst brands I've ever owned. I'd never buy a set but have inherited them on new or used vehicles. Each time I do I hope things are better and am disappointed once again. The recent set on my truck wore to the tread bars at 27K miles and performed terribly the whole way.

I agree with other poster that said Michelins, Goodyear or Toyo.

Bill.Satellite

Full-timer

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 05:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had Firestone (worn out at 80,000 miles) and Bridgestone (also good) and 2 sets of Michelins (yes, I have put over 250,000 miles on the coach). Once I put on Michelins I will never go back. The ride and handling is noticeable better and the dependability is unquestionable.
Yes, they are not cheap but when my goal is to keep the rubber side pointing down I have complete confidence in the ride, handling and dependability of the Michelin brand. Now that Michelin owns BF Goodrich I think I would choose that over Michelin for price alone. Join FMCA and you can save a couple of hundred dollars on your tire purchase on Michelin and BF Goodrich.

* This post was edited 01/12/17 05:49am by Bill.Satellite *

What I post is my 2 cents and nothing more. Please don't read anything into my post that's not there. If you disagree, that's OK.
Can't we all just get along?

olfarmer

Iowa

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 01/11/17 08:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have had Michelins, GoodYears, Bridgestones, and an off breed cheaper brand. No trouble with any of them but the off brand wore out fast. I have Michelins on now and like them. I have never had firestones on a motorhome, so can't comment on them, but probably wouldn't be afraid of them. The Bridgestones I had were excellent and wore very well with no signs of cracking while I had them.

BTW, my tires are 19.5 not 22.5

Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

crasster

Dallas

View Profile

Posted: 01/12/17 08:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'd say try to find the best deal on either Michelin or Hankook. Well worth the $. Nightmare stories on the other brands you mentioned.

4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class A Motorhomes  >  General Topics

> Firestone VS Bridgestone Class A Tire
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class A Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS