RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: TFLTruck tests 2017 Chevy 3500

RV Blog

  |  

RV Sales

  |  

Campgrounds

  |  

RV Parks

  |  

RV Club

  |  

RV Buyers Guide

  |  

Roadside Assistance

  |  

Extended Service Plan

  |  

RV Travel Assistance

  |  

RV Credit Card

  |  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > TFLTruck tests 2017 Chevy 3500

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/11/17 02:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The first test of the 2017 Chevy 3500 DRW. Looks like the Ike Gauntlet should happen in the next few days. 2017 Chevy 3500


2012 F-350 King Ranch DRW
2014 Landmark Savannah

Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/11/17 03:21pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

They SAY the Allison is so robust nothing needed to be done. I don't believe that! I think that is exactly why they have a very low tow rating. Maybe next year they will have the trans strong enough to handle 31-32k like Ford and RAM already do.


2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

Senior Member

Joined: 09/26/2012

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/11/17 03:24pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2016 Duramax was pushing the limits of the Alison 1000 in it's present form then. They have stayed out of the power race for a reason and it was not the Duramax or the AAM rear axle. Chris


2015 RAM 3500 CC SB SRW Our Rig New 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Retired and enjoying it!


4x4ord

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/17 03:38am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Too bad they can't put a 30,000 lb trailer behind the GMC.

* This post was edited 02/12/17 04:22am by 4x4ord *


2016 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
2011 F350 SRW short box 4x4 CC 6.7 PS King Ranch
B&W TurnoverBall and Companion
2003 Citation Supreme 34 RLTS


Cummins12V98

on the road

Senior Member

Joined: 06/03/2012

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/17 07:39am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

Too bad they can't put a 30,000 lb trailer behind the GMC.


How are they going to compare the big three? Are they going to dumb down the other two to tow 23k???

4x4ord

Canada

Senior Member

Joined: 12/23/2010

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/17 09:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I get the idea they are going to test all three trucks again. Both the Ford and GM should have just enough power to tow 23000 lbs up the hill at the 60 mph speed limit. With 3.73 gears the Ford would be running about 2600 rpm in 4th gear at 60 mph. The Chevy would only be turning about 2275 so maybe the Ford will have the advantage. If it ends up that both trucks drop to third gear the advantage will be in GM's favor.....
If the Ford can't manage 60 mph it might have to drop to third and rev to 3000 rpm where it's only able to do about 52 mph. If the Chevy drops to 3rd and revs to 3000 rpm it will be making 57 mph.
I'm going to guess 8 minutes 40 seconds for the winner.

IdaD

Idaho

Senior Member

Joined: 08/06/2014

View Profile



Posted: 02/12/17 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The timing on those tests would have merit if there wasn't traffic, or if they went full throttle all the way. But there is traffic, and they don't go full throttle. Given that, the times don't mean much of anything. With an equal load I would expect the Duramax to be the fastest followed by the Powerstroke and then the Cummins. In the real world they're all plenty fast and powerful, though - it literally wasn't something I even considered when I evaluated the three.


2015 HD Ram Cummins 4wd CC/SB


blofgren

Surrey, B.C.

Senior Member

Joined: 11/26/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/17 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

IdaD wrote:

The timing on those tests would have merit if there wasn't traffic, or if they went full throttle all the way. But there is traffic, and they don't go full throttle. Given that, the times don't mean much of anything. With an equal load I would expect the Duramax to be the fastest followed by the Powerstroke and then the Cummins. In the real world they're all plenty fast and powerful, though - it literally wasn't something I even considered when I evaluated the three.


x2. Even with higher ratings the Ford just can't seem to outpull the GM. It's surprised me a couple of times.

My lowly G56 powered Cummins would be a couples of minutes behind everyone but it will keep doing it reliably for years to come with less heat and easy maintenance so I'm OK with that!


2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, RAM 20k sliding hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne

The Great State of Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 02/12/2011

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 02/12/17 11:56am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blofgren wrote:

IdaD wrote:

The timing on those tests would have merit if there wasn't traffic, or if they went full throttle all the way. But there is traffic, and they don't go full throttle. Given that, the times don't mean much of anything. With an equal load I would expect the Duramax to be the fastest followed by the Powerstroke and then the Cummins. In the real world they're all plenty fast and powerful, though - it literally wasn't something I even considered when I evaluated the three.


x2. Even with higher ratings the Ford just can't seem to outpull the GM. It's surprised me a couple of times.

My lowly G56 powered Cummins would be a couples of minutes behind everyone but it will keep doing it reliably for years to come with less heat and easy maintenance so I'm OK with that!


The GM and the Ford will perform this task reliably for years to come too, and the maintenance is much easier on those as well. [emoticon]

Looks at it this way the truck that can pull up a hill the fastest is typically the truck that can pull that load the easiest.

Towing Just Got Easier! [emoticon]


'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs
"Built Ford Tough"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Travlingman

Jonesborough, TN

Senior Member

Joined: 10/16/2003

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 02/12/17 11:57am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

4x4ord wrote:

I get the idea they are going to test all three trucks again. Both the Ford and GM should have just enough power to tow 23000 lbs up the hill at the 60 mph speed limit. With 3.73 gears the Ford would be running about 2600 rpm in 4th gear at 60 mph. The Chevy would only be turning about 2275 so maybe the Ford will have the advantage. If it ends up that both trucks drop to third gear the advantage will be in GM's favor.....
If the Ford can't manage 60 mph it might have to drop to third and rev to 3000 rpm where it's only able to do about 52 mph. If the Chevy drops to 3rd and revs to 3000 rpm it will be making 57 mph.
I'm going to guess 8 minutes 40 seconds for the winner.


2017 Ford F-350 diesel dually doesn't come with a 3.73 gear.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > TFLTruck tests 2017 Chevy 3500
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS