RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Survey - who has had a citation for RV overweight?

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Survey - who has had a citation for RV overweight?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next
Sponsored By:
06Fargo

gone walkabout

View Profile

Posted: 02/14/17 10:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Details appreciated like where, details of weight, fine or jail time, did your rig get towed, were you handcuffed...

Sport45

Not far enough from Houston, TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/17 12:58am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Not an RV, but I was with 4 charter busses of band kids on the way to a concert. One was overweight and they were not allowed to proceed. Had to shuffle kids between coaches and move baggage to the equipment truck before we could leave...

Trackrig

Spent the summer in Conconuly, Wa, MH now in Vanco

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/17 01:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'll be surprised if anyone has been - not some third uncle they heard about at a family reunion ten years ago from aunt Martha's third sister.

Bill

Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

jerseyjim

New Jersey

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/17 02:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

WHERE would an RV get weighed (on the road?) These are not commercial vehicles and do not stop at the state weigh stations. Tell me.

austingta

Austin TX

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/17 03:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

jerseyjim wrote:

WHERE would an RV get weighed (on the road?) These are not commercial vehicles and do not stop at the state weigh stations. Tell me.

Trucks get weighed by mobile scales during LEO stops all the time.

Frank Brooks Austin TX
2016 GMC 2500 HD Denali Duramax 96 gallons diesel capacity
Still planning for my first Travel Trailer

horton333

Autora (Ontario)

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/17 04:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

06Fargo wrote:

Details appreciated like where, details of weight, fine or jail time, did your rig get towed, were you handcuffed...

[emoticon]

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

tinner12002

Lafayette Ind

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/17 05:04am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I've never seen one get weighed.

2015 Ram 3500/DRW/Aisin/auto/Max tow/4.10s,Cummins, stock Laramie Limited--Silver
Tequila Sunrise 2012 Ultra Classic Limited
2006 Dutchman Winners circle/toyhauler
2009 Adrenaline surge 30QB

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/17 05:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There is no way anyone ever received a ticket for being overweight. The only law regarding weight is you can not exceed 20,000 lbs per axle or 80,000 lbs gross weight. Anyone have an RV approaching either of those numbers? There is in some jurisdiction a "registration" weight. In those areas the more weight you want to tow, the higher your vehicle license plate fees. So if you want to tow more, you pay more. There is no limit to how much your can "registration" weight can be. If you didn't pay the proper vehicle license plate fee, you could be ticketed for exceeding your "registered" weight.

Wadcutter

IL

View Profile

Posted: 02/15/17 05:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Spring time. Another 'overweight question".
Do you really think your rig or any rig is even close to approaching the max weight limits? Seriously?
As nickthehunter pointed out max axle weights are usually 20,000 lbs for a single axle, 34,000 for a tandem axle and 80,000 gross (total) weight.
When talking those 'big' numbers people's eyes glaze over and they don't have any concept of what they mean.
Let's put it in perspective looking at a 5th wheel. Your truck weights 8000 or a bit less. You have a heavy 5th wheel that weighs 15,000 lbs loaded. Total weight then is 23,000 lbs.
Now lets look at the semis running down the road. Look at one that has one of the 53 ft box trailers. The tractor unit is a long nose double sleeper, long wheelbase rig. Empty that combination will weigh about 23,000 lbs, maybe a bit less.
Look at the those numbers again. That empty semi weighs the same as if you had a heavy pickup and a fully loaded 5er.
When people truly understand weight laws then they would see just how silly these questions really are. They think because they have a 'big' camper that somehow they're in the big boy's league of hauling weight. Not even close. Think about it. Your truck and camper have tires which may be the same load handling capacity as what's on your car or maybe just a bit more. If your rig was over 20,000 axle (10,000 per tire) do you think your tires wouldn't give out long before you maxed 20,000?
And yeah, I was the weight police. The real weight police. I didn't get my knowledge from listening to some fat guy sitting around the campfire. For 27 years I weighed a lot of trucks, taught truck weight laws, was recognized by the courts as an expert in truck weight laws, and commanded the highest fine generating scales in the state of IL.

Camped in every state but Alaska

spoon059

Just north of D.C.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/15/17 06:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

nickthehunter wrote:

The only law regarding weight is you can not exceed 20,000 lbs per axle or 80,000 lbs gross weight.

If you didn't pay the proper vehicle license plate fee, you could be ticketed for exceeding your "registered" weight.

You are forgetting the federal limit for pounds per inch width of tire... but still, I highly doubt anyone here will come close to that number.

The only chance that any RVer will have for being over any rating is that registration rating you mentioned. All you gotta do is pay for the next higher class rating...

2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 10  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Survey - who has had a citation for RV overweight?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS