|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Electrical help please. Lance harness to Ford truck

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
Redneck bling

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 12:13pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I Bought a Ford 5th wheel harness for my 2016 super duty. I want to mount the LANCE 6 pin truck side harness and wire it through the FORD 5th wheel harness plugs going into the truck side harness underneath. The EXTRA plugs to accomplish this are already there(5th wheel harness plugs).
I don't want the 5th wheel truck side plug, just going with the Lance female truck side plug, drilled and mounted, forward on the drivers side. BUT tapping into the truck harness under the frame, using the 5th wheel harness plugs. Does anyone know what connections I am looking to make? Ford colors to Lance?[image][image][image]

2016 Ford F-250 super duty crew cab, 4X4, automatic trans, short bed, XLT, with 6.2 gas engine. *Mods coming.
06 Lance 861/loaded/Honda 2000 generator.
Everything working well, so far/so good!

LamboDesigns

Steamboat Springs

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 12:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I haven't picked up the camper yet but I have wired the lance plug in so from my notes.... 2016 ford f250 lariat. I can't see your pictures but assuming they are the same 6 pin and 2 pin plugs I have.

Wire --------------Lance-------Ford
Parking lights-----Green-------Brown
Left Turn----------Red---------Yellow
Right Turn---------Brown-------Green
Backup light-------Yellow------Gray w/black stripe
Brakes-------------N/A---------Blue
+12----------------Black-------N/A wire gauge too small
Gnd----------------White-------N/A attach to frame

I ran the 8 gauge wire to the battery with a 40 amp circuit breaker. Again I haven't hooked up the camper to verify it is right but it did check out compared to the lance manual. I don't have the 7pin harness so I'm also assuming the wire colors on the harness are the same as the truck side.

Looks like the formatting doesn't translate so they aren't lined up but I think you can figure it out.

Redneck bling

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 01:03pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thank you! I will test and go from there to be certain. You saved me some grief. I was hoping it would all just tap right from the plugs but I will have to run that battery lead after all. The ground as well. Should not present much of a problem. I spent about 90+ buck on that 5th wheel harness. I'm glad to not cut into my harness, but it really did not merit the expense. Any tips on running that 12v lead?

finsruskw

Earlville, IA

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 01:46pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Your Lance dealer should be able to furnish a factory mads "jumper cable" assembly that will do just what you need.

My dealer in Ham Lake, MN had just the thing and wired mine up in nothing flat, while at the same time incorporating heavy gage hot and ground wires such as the Lance female end on your camper already has, direct to the engine compartment for the hot wire and direct to the truck chassis for the ground. I'm sure they could supply you with the needed harness extension.

I do not think the OEM wire circuit has a heavy enough wire to support fridge use direct from the vehicle wiring circuitry if you plan on using the fridge on 12V while on the road.

Redneck bling

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 01:59pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Oh boy...
looking at the 5th wheel plug from the front view, starting at the 1 o'clock position, that wire is orange, following clockwise direction with green, blue, Big white, yellow, ending with grey, at the 11 o'clock position. The center is small white with black stripe.
any IDEA whats what? This is the factory ford harness for a 5th wheel plug, to be mounted in the bed. I bought it for the plugs basically. I did not want to cut into my harness underneath. At the truck side harness connection, there are two plugs, Big white and Blue together going into one plug(2 pin).
The other plug(6pin) uses only 5 pins. They are: Green, Orange, not used, Yellow, Grey and White w/black stripe.

*The new lance harness has at 1 o'clock-green, 3 o'clock-yellow, 5 o'clock-#8ga black, 7 o'clock-red, 9 o'clock-brown, and center is #8 ga white.
I'm sorry my pictures did not go through. I tried copying links from google drive.

Redneck bling

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 02:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My Lance dealer (lakewood N.J.) stopped dealing with truck campers awhile ago. Hes of no use unless your wallet is HUGE. My Ford dealer just wants me to drop it off.
I already own the parts. Just need the knowledge of what to what if anyone has come up against this. Going to a dealer is not my style at all. I do my own work. I'm retired and on a fixed income. I just now figured out the Lance diagram is reversed view for my truck side plug. It make sense now #8ga white is ground, #8 ga black is 12 volt to battery separate run and fuse. The green is 14 ga and run lights. the yellow is 16 ga back up lights.
Red is 16 ga left + stop. Brown is 16 ga right +stop.
Now what is Ford using on their side????

Redneck bling

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 02:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I just discovered my answer on the cover of the dang thing!
Lambodesigns..check your wiring!
My cover indicates Ford is using Grey for running lights, small white w/black stripe for back-ups, yellow for left turn + stop,
Green for right turn + stop. The 12v and ground have to be made outside the plug. So it was a waste to buy the 5th wheel harness. I will probably sell it and cut the harness at the plug for the sake of the 4 wires i am going to splice into.
I hope that someone gleans some benefit from my mistake. I didn't want to cut the harness on an expensive truck. But throwing money at it didn't really do me any good at all! 5th wheel harness was of no benefit at all for this application.

LamboDesigns

Steamboat Springs

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 02:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The 2 pin plug is trailer brakes and ground so you don't need it. The other 6 pin plug is the one that you need for the lights. I bought my camper used and the nearest lance dealer is in Denver but had I known there was a connector that would fit on there I would have bought it and saved myself a lot of trouble connecting into the other harness with waterproof connectors[emoticon] The lance pigtail had a large heat shrink tubing on it so I split that and pulled the large white and black wires out since they were heading to the front of the truck. I just went directly to the battery (40 amp breaker in-line) with a 8 gauge wire and connected to the lance pigtail. Probably much better and easier ways than I did it.

LamboDesigns

Steamboat Springs

View Profile

Posted: 02/16/17 02:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I checked the signals at the plug in the bed before I buttoned everything up and they matched what Lance had for their pinout so I think mine is right.... at least I'm hoping it is.

Redneck bling

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

yes...I'm going to get the meter out and have a helper run the tests signals and I'll verify at that plug, what is what, for the final connections. I think I am going to cut the vehicle harness side of that plug after all. I am going to see about selling that 5th wheel harness. Seems pointless to cut the plug off of it for the sake of 4 connections that are going to need to be spliced some where along that umbilical. I'm sorry I bought it. Also...I'm going by the wiring diagram on the cover of that 5th wheel harness...Its still possible that the COLORS at that plug may be different on the VEHICLE receptacle side. I have learned you cant take ANYTHING for granted these days. So I'm going shopping for some 8 gauge wire and a 40 amp fuse. I need to see if I have an isolator too. So the camper does not drain my vehicle battery if I leave something on. I dont know if that's already INSIDE the camper wiring...or if it was ON my old traded vehicle. I just know I had one. So...next investigation is to FIND the isolator.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Truck Campers

> Electrical help please. Lance harness to Ford truck
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Truck Campers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS