RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs: Pellet Smokers - Flavor Quality

RV Blog

|  

RV Sales

|  

Campgrounds

|  

RV Parks

|  

RV Club

|  

RV Buyers Guide

|  

Roadside Assistance

|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Pellet Smokers - Flavor Quality

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next
Sponsored By:
2012Coleman

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Someone posted the following in another forum, and I was wondering if others shared this opinion:

someone wrote:

The pellet grill/smoker is superb and really hard to beat. Doesn't produce the totally smoked flavor of a charcoal/wood smoker, but is great unto it self.

What say you?

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

KCFDCapt

At Home

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/17 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Beware of Traeger. The went to China for a manufacturer and quality suffered.

Rocking B

Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/17 07:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

There are a lot more companies out there making pellet smokers now then there were a few years ago. You can spend a few hundred to several thousand dollars on one just depends on what your looking for. The ones I have experience with produce great smoked bbq and are easy to use. If you're looking for something to grill and smoke on make sure you read up on them and check the reviews you need more direct heat for grilling and indirect heat for smoking. If you want more smoke flavor then the pellets provide some are capable of adding extra smoke using wood chips in a tray or some type of smoke generator. Good luck !

firemedic1992

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/17 08:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I love my Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett pellet Grill and would disagree that they don't produce the smoky taste.

2007 GMC Sierra Classic 3500 Duramax Extended Cab Longbox SRW
2006 GMC Sierra 3500 Duramax Crew Cab Longbox DRW
2015 Evergreen Tesla 3212 Toy Hauler Fifth Wheel
2003 Triple E Topaz 275TE Fifth Wheel

Super_Dave

Harrisville, UT

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 08:36am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

firemedic1992 wrote:

I love my Green Mountain Grills Davy Crockett pellet Grill and would disagree that they don't produce the smoky taste.

The argument isn't that they don't produce a smoky taste, it is that they don't produce the same smoky taste as wood or charcoal fueled smokers. And to this I whole heartedly agree. They are good, just not as good.

Truck: 2006 Dodge 3500 Dually
Camper: 2007 Eagle Cap 850
Boat: 2003 Jetcraft 2125 - Yamaha 150 HP & 8 HP Kicker

Y-Guy

Tri-Cities, WA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/17 09:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

To me it's a trade off. I don't care for charcoal taste, wood is great but I don't have the time, space or desire to deal with chunks of wood. The pellet smoker we have, a Louisiana Smoker, let me make fantastic smoked meats at home without the hassle. Does wood create more flavor? Perhaps, but just like cooking with anything it takes time, practice and patience. Using the right quality pellets matters. I've sampled a dozen friends smoked meats all off of pellet smokers. Some have a great smokey taste others not so much. To me impatience is usually the problem, low and slow is the key.

I'm happy with our Louisiana Smoker, it was the best Mothers Day present I've ever bought my wife and she agrees. If I were buying today the Green Mountain would be top on my list. Personally I will no purchase a Traeger for reasons already stated and others.

2007 Winnebago Sightseer 35J
2007 Four Winns Horizon 190
2011 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited

jnharley

Anywhere, U.S.A.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/17 09:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We also have a GMG Davey Crocket and love the flavor. It smokes well yet gets hot enough to cook a great steak. We smoke our small cuts of meat (steak, pork chops, chicken, etc) 30 minutes and remove from the smoker. Then we crank the temp up to the highest setting. After it comes to temp, we put the meat back on. We cook chicken slightly different after smoking because it does not need that high heat. Last night we tried lamb chops and they were fantastic. We are big mesquite fans and we use that flavor pellet almost exclusively.

2015 Dodge Dually
2012 NuWa Discover America 355CK

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 09:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

KCFDCapt wrote:

Beware of Traeger. The went to China for a manufacturer and quality suffered.

Sounds like good advice.
My buddy had the small table top Treager and it continually covered the food in grey ash. Treager couldn't figure out the problem but sent him several parts. He finally gave up and bought another brand.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2004 Forest River 25RKS many, many mods.
H0NDA eu2000i

IDman

colorado

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 09:35am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I like my Traegers as we get delicious smokey flavor because we do it correctly. One of the best things about pellet smokers is that you DO get a bark (crust) and a good smoke ring. You cannot get those using electric or gas smokers.

Jason234

Fenton, Missouri

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 12:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have a Rec-Tec wood pellet smoker. I love it and the customer service is second to none. The owner gives you his cell phone to call him direct with any issues. I had a Traeger, never again.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 2  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

> Pellet Smokers - Flavor Quality
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Camp Cooks and Connoisseurs

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS