|  

Extended Service Plan

|  

RV Travel Assistance

|  

RV Credit Card

|  

RV Loans

Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Horrendous smell and pink water coming out of FW tank

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
Sponsored By:
Speede55

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 09:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi all-
I just bought my first class C. It's a 2013 Fleetwood 31'that has 4000 miles on it.
It's basically new, but when running FW through the faucets and shower, etc, the water coming out has a pink tint (assuming that's some sort of sanitizer?) and smells vile.
I drained and filled the tank twice, but still can't get rid of it. Is there a product I'm supposed to be using to eliminate this pink, smelly water? The water goes into the tank clean and comes out of the taps unusable.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Steve

BendOrLarry

Bend Oregon

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/17 09:14am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's antifreeze. Just run water through the system and it smell and taste will eventually go away.

ScottG

Bothell Wa.

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 09:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It's AF but antifreeze doesn't smell "vile". I'm thinking the system needs to be sanitized. Which I would do to any RV I bought - new or used.

Scott, Grace and Wesly
2003 Dodge 3500 4x4, 6 speed Cummins (lightly bombed),
2018 Silver Fox 32A - many mods to come!
H0NDA eu2000i

DrewE

Vermont

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

x2 on it being antifreeze. It's non-toxic (at least in modest quantities), but not very pleasant.

I'd suggest draining the fresh water tank and hooking the hose up for city water usage (not using the tank) and flushing out the plumbing. It will go a lot faster if you drain the water heater and bypass it to flush the plumbing system, and then un-bypass and refill it (after putting the drain plug back, of course). Be sure that you don't turn the water heater on when it's not full of water, whether on electric or gas heat if you have both. If you don't empty the tanks, it will take a very very long time of adding and removing water from them to get the antifreeze diluted enough to be unnoticeable.

Johno02

Lexington, TN USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 02/17/17 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some winterized it by putting antifreeze in the fresh water tank. Just flush the tank several times, and the taste will go away eventually. You may be new, but you have just learned one of the first things you need to know about winterizing RVs.

Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)
2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 wife, 1 dog(?)

Bumpyroad

Virginia

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 09:34am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

since the previous owner didn't have/use a winterizing kit, buy one $20 or so, and do NOT put antifreeze in the fresh water tank.
bumpy

coolmom42

Middle Tennessee

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 09:37am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Flush it out as recommended above (probably the water heater too, no need to turn it on). Then sanitize the system--many threads here on how to do that.

You have a combo of RV antifreeze and a tank with stuff growing in it.

2006 Toyota Sienna
Single empty-nester in Middle TN

turbojimmy

New Jersey

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 11:09am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Like other said, flush and sanitize (with a bit of bleach - lots of threads on it). Not a bad idea to do it annually, either.

1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

Photomike

Southern Alberta or where the camper is parked!

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 11:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Yes antifreeze is the pick stuff.

Antifreeze has a smell, usually sweet and can be sickening to some people. Side note: Different brands have different smells to them, I cannot stand the smell of one of the brands that is for sale around here.

Other smell could be water in the fresh water tank gone stagnate, fill up, drain do this a couple times, then fill up and add a cup of bleach and let it sit for a day and drain and flush a couple of times.

The other area could be the hot water tank. Mine on my TCer would sulfate and would STINK!!!!! Would have to flush a couple times completely with fresh water and then with some bleach mixed in with the water till it would stop. My wife always thought it was me that smelled so bad :-)

Majestic 19G
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks
Border Collie Guard Dog

Old-Biscuit

Verde Valley

View Profile

Posted: 02/17/17 11:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Fill/drain fresh water tank several times..
Then fill fresh water tank and using pump run water thru system hot and cold (hopefully water heater was BYPASSED) until pink is gone...then flush water thru 'low point drains'

Then sanitize system
1/4 cub bleach per 15 gallons of water (how big is your fresh water tank....fill with bleach solution) then using pump run bleach solution thru hot/cold water lines (water eater bypassed) just enough until you smell the bleach, also thru low point drains.
Let sit for 4 hours then drain/flush fresh water tank.....then fill and flush system hot.cold...low point drains

May take couple times to get rid of that 'vile' smell

Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
On the Road Debt Free April '07
Off the road still Debt Free Jan. '14

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Class C Motorhomes  >  Class C

> Horrendous smell and pink water coming out of FW tank
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Class C Motorhomes

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2017 CWI, Inc. © 2017 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved. | Terms of Use | PRIVACY POLICY | YOUR PRIVACY RIGHTS